Couch Cover Recommendations

tinkerbeltink

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am considering purchasing a couch cover-material or plastic or other. It is to keep my cat out of reach of the upholstery, Do you have a good recommendation for what you've used? Store?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have used a quilted furniture cover on a leather couch to keep my kitty from tearing a hole when he kneeds.  It did the job, but it was a pain to  get it to stay in place.  I have a small one now for a love seat that I am using to keep the pet hair off of a red love seat.  Since it is smaller than a couch it works better and is easier to fix.  I bought mine at Kohls years ago.  Here is a link http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1668770/yes-pets-quilted-furniture-protector-couch-cover.jsp

I'm not clear why you want to cover the furniture.  Is your kitty scratching it or don't you want the kitty on the furniture. 

I used a plastic shower curtain liner once to place on top of a bed to keep the cat off.  He hated the plastic.  Yet I hated it too! 

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I have used a quilted furniture cover on a leather couch to keep my kitty from tearing a hole when he kneeds.  It did the job, but it was a pain to  get it to stay in place.  I have a small one now for a love seat that I am using to keep the pet hair off of a red love seat.  Since it is smaller than a couch it works better and is easier to fix.  I bought mine at Kohls years ago.  Here is a link http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1668770/yes-pets-quilted-furniture-protector-couch-cover.jsp

I'm not clear why you want to cover the furniture.  Is your kitty scratching it or don't you want the kitty on the furniture. 

I used a plastic shower curtain liner once to place on top of a bed to keep the cat off.  He hated the plastic.  Yet I hated it too! 
 If you are interested in this one, Kohl's is running a deal right now that expires tonight if you use your Kohl's card

30% off with the code FABULOUS30

Free shipping with the code KCMARCH

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tinkerbeltink

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

If you are interested in this one, Kohl's is running a deal right now that expires tonight if you use your Kohl's card

Thank you for the tip!​

tinkerbeltink

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

My almost grown cat has been clawing carpet, etc. I talked about it in detail in an other post. She started on a couch. I have scratch spray, Sticky Paws tape, toys, vertical and horizontal scratching posts, Feliway, toys, and just put on Soft Claws claw caps. I love my sofa and it's expensive. I just applied the claw caps, but am thinking about a sofa cover for extra insurance.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I gave up trying to protect my faux leather couch and chairs from my cats. They are not purposely clawing them, but when they jump on them, their claws do snag.

Couch covers never stay in place (At least the ones I've tried), and are unsightly. At least they've mostly destroyed the chairs which wasn't too expensive (but only a year old). I am embarrassed to take the covers off them for guests.. yet, I am embarrassed to keep them on!

I am in process of trying to find a pair of living room chairs that are "cat proof".. IE- hard plastic or wood that can't be damaged easily. Thankfully the couch isn't too terrible of shape.

If you find covers that works really well, please do let me know. I'd be interested in checking them out!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you do a Google search for "plastic sofa cover" you'll get a ton of results. IMO, they're not the prettiest looking things. People may slide on the sofa since the cover is so slick or have bare legs stick to the clammy plastic in the summer. A cover may not even deter a cat. Some cats may still claw at the plastic or even chew on it.

goglo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Goglo new Cat Owner. I dont want
To keep my couches covered.can i
Buy a spray cats dont like or
Find a way to train her.If she
Didnt claw the couches I would
Be Ok with her laying on em.
Thank U,goglo

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in the "I don't bother" crowd also. I have real leather furniture and can't be bothered. Thankfully, they are pretty good kitties. Most of the scratches are from when they jump. The worst damage we have is from Maple using the tops of the chairs as her personal bed for so long - they split along the top after a few years :lol3:

I wish I could remember the covering I saw once. It was really cool because it was barely noticeable, and it was just on the sides. Obviously wouldn't help if your cats use the seats as a launchpad, but it would help if they are using the sides to stretch the claws.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm in the "I don't bother" crowd also. I have real leather furniture and can't be bothered. Thankfully, they are pretty good kitties. Most of the scratches are from when they jump. The worst damage we have is from Maple using the tops of the chairs as her personal bed for so long - they split along the top after a few years

I wish I could remember the covering I saw once. It was really cool because it was barely noticeable, and it was just on the sides. Obviously wouldn't help if your cats use the seats as a launchpad, but it would help if they are using the sides to stretch the claws.
I have a leather couch and a leather recliner that are both nearing the 20 year old mark. The cats don't bother either of them. Between the 2 cat trees and the 2 hammocks they got for Christmas, they have 18 scratching posts- for 3 of them. They occasionally jump on the couch but they have not damaged it in any way. The leather is thick so they'd really have to go to town on it to do anything. I do have a blanket on the couch that Lily likes to lay on but it's been there since before I got them. 

tinkerbeltink

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update-There may be a possibility that I won't need the couch cover. I am saying this because my girl has had the claw covers on for 48 hours and things have been good, so far. They are all still on. I can tell, by holding her and playing with her, that she can't scratch with her claws. If they continue to stay on, and I don't see any further damage, I may have found my solution. Fingers crossed! My only regret is that I didn't do this, when she was a kitten. I probably would have saved a lot of carpet damage. One big help was that I have a vet who was willing to do it. I think he may have done it for me because I have been a very proactive cat owner (both cats) with vaccines, tests, spay/neuter, etc. It's made me wonder if more vets, or groomers would do this, at affordable prices, more cats wouldn't go to shelters or be declawed.