Cost of major grocery items in your area

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is a spawn of another thread

milk : gallon 2.33-6 dollars depending on type , regular at walmart is cheaper than organic at the specialty

hamburger : 80/20 on sale about 2$ a lb , regular is 3.20 ish ( regular grocery as I wont touch meat at walmart)

loaf of wheat bread : 2.50-3.50

bag of frozen veggies : 12-16 oz generic 1-1.50 , name brand 2-2.50

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tend to wait and buy as much as I can in bulk at Sam's, which is much cheaper than regular grocery stores. This is how I prefer to get all of my frozen veggies. They also carry some organic stuff, which isn't really available in the town I live in.

I don't like 80/20 ground - ick. I prefer 90/10 or 93/7 (stores in town don't stock this) and it can be up to $3-4lb
I recently got a huge package of lean stew meat at $1.99lb (Sam's again), but will substitute other lean cuts of beef in place of ground depending on price. (can't stand fatty meats)

Milk is the same. Non organic from in-state dairy farms. Braum's usually charges $2.39 - $2.69 a gallon. Lactose free milk costs around $3 for a half gallon.

Bread - I usually buy cheap white because it's really only used for toasting. (texture issues, can't handle whole grains
) Usually $1-2. Buy extra and toss it in the freezer.

Other small stuff is bought on sale or at Dollar General.

ETA: For those needing to stock up. Check local flyers. A lot of grocery stores should be currently running sales.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2l carton of 2% milk - 3.55
Hamburger - 2.49 at the local butcher, can generally get regular ground beef at either regular store for under 2.00 a pound
loaf of bread (type mostly irrelevant) - anywhere from 1.49 to 3.00, depending on loaf size and brand name. One store has a bakery, and you can get pretty fancy stuff for 1.99 a loaf - coarse white with chewy crust, steamed ryes, almost anything short of the mulitgrain and specialties. Specialties such as chop suey bread or cheese bread are around 5.00 a loaf
frozen veggies - 2x1kg for 5.98 store brand, otherwise, they ding you really good.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't buy milk or meat, so I'm not even sure what they cost! I buy New England Brown Bread (extra crunchy! Whole grain), and that's about $3.50 a loaf.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Milk, 4L (just over gallon) is $3.99 for regular 2%, more for organic or higher brands

Bread, price guarantee stuff is $1.47-$1.49, the stuff I buy is $2.39

Hamburger: I will assume 80/20 is regular, 90/10 is lean and 93/7 is extra lean in which case, $2-4 (walmart - reg grocery stores), $3-5 and $4-7 (cheaper values are the tube kinds and upper costs the in packs cost)

we have a great farmers market store that also imports veggies so I rarely buy frozen, but I know that fresh isnt that much more expensive

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2% regular milk 4 liters (1.05 gal): $4.99
(organic: $7.99)

extra lean hamburger: $9.99/kg or $4.53/lb

Oroweat 100% whole wheat bread: $4.69

Delnor frozen green peas (or corn) 1 kg (2.2 lbs): $4.29

And look what kind of house half a million dollars will get you:
http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetail...ertyId=8679872

This one is a little cheaper but it's small and in the worst neighborhood in town:
http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetail...ertyId=8463546

exchange rate is $0.93 US on $1.00 CDN

Come to Victoria, but bring your raincoat and your money!

kittymommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't drink cow's milk so I buy goat's milk and it's $3.89 per quart.

Beef of the 80/20 variety is around $1.98 a pound at Walmart, but I don't like their beef so I buy it at Crest which I can find on sale usually for $2.15 a pound. I buy a lot of chicken (breasts $2.40 per lb) and pork chops ($2.20 per lb) and cubed pork steaks.

Loaf of good wheat bread around $2.50 a loaf.

Crest brand frozen veggies, like the California blend (which I like a lot to make with wheat pasta) is around $2.25 per bag.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^O/T I've never seen a Crest store. But than there's all sorts of markets hidden around OKC. I swear Aldi popped out of nowhere.

kittymommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

^O/T I've never seen a Crest store. But than there's all sorts of markets hidden around OKC. I swear Aldi popped out of nowhere.
Yeah, there's a Crest on NW 23rd & Meridian and one between Hefner Road and 122nd Street on MacArthur. There's one in Edmond and I think there's also one in Del City/Midwest City too. They have pretty good prices. Yeah Aldi did come out of no where, but I'd been to their stores before when I used to live in Iowa. When I lived in Texas sometimes we went to the HEB grocery store, which the HEB stands for Henry E. Butt, the founder. LOL!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
2% milk is $1.98 here at Wal-Mart (and for those of you in the Dallas area, Wal-Mart milk is, I believe, Oak Farms).

The other stuff I can't speak to.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Milk, 4L (just over gallon) is $3.99 for regular 2%, more for organic or higher brands

Bread, price guarantee stuff is $1.47-$1.49, the stuff I buy is $2.39

Hamburger: I will assume 80/20 is regular, 90/10 is lean and 93/7 is extra lean in which case, $2-4 (walmart - reg grocery stores), $3-5 and $4-7 (cheaper values are the tube kinds and upper costs the in packs cost)

we have a great farmers market store that also imports veggies so I rarely buy frozen, but I know that fresh isnt that much more expensive
Same prices here pretty well.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1/2 Gallon Kemps Select Milk is $1.46 @ Wal-Mart
1/2 Gallon Silk Light Plain is $2.46 @ Walmart, and I sometimes catch it on sale at a local grocery store for about $2.89

I don't really buy hamburger that often. I bought it at Walmart last time and it was under $5/lb for 97% lean.

Canned veggies are usually just under $1/can at Walmart. I got Green Beans this week at the local store's sale for $0.48/can.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
(more O/T sorry
)

Originally Posted by kittymommy

Yeah, there's a Crest on NW 23rd & Meridian and one between Hefner Road and 122nd Street on MacArthur. There's one in Edmond and I think there's also one in Del City/Midwest City too. They have pretty good prices. Yeah Aldi did come out of no where, but I'd been to their stores before when I used to live in Iowa. When I lived in Texas sometimes we went to the HEB grocery store, which the HEB stands for Henry E. Butt, the founder. LOL!
I was just on MacArthur Wednesday... must have been looking the wrong way.
And I know I've been around NW 23rd & Meridian - there's other little shops around there.

HEB -
I always chuckle a little at some of the odder named stores/places. Like the Neko Sushi on Western or Slick Willies that always has letters burned out on the NW Expressway.
There's plenty of oddly named stores on the southside, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
lol.. this is obviously a seroius thread..lol.. some OT is fun since all of us are learning what is in different areas

canned veggies : 70-1.00 a can sales up to 4 for 1$

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
2% Lactose-free milk (2L) $4.75
Loaf of white bread $1
Loaf of whole grain $2.50
Lean hamburger $1.99/lb at the butchers (grocery meat here is something like $3.99/lb)

we get all of our veggies at the market during the summer & Fall, but lately I've had to go back to frozen, so 1kg of veggies = $2.99.
Canned veggies are about $1 a can.

Prices here seem pretty much the same as by icklemiss21 and Trout's Mom

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looking at my recent receipt..

12 Large Eggs: $1.99
Butter: $2.97
Milk: $4.19 for 4L. It was $3.97 up until this week, I guess they raised the price.
Package of medium beef: $4.41
Small onion: .31 cents
Very small green pepper: .81 cents
6 pack of buns: $2.69
Bread: $1.47 for a cheap loaf, up to about $3 for brand name
Can of veggies: .79 to $1.29 usually
Frozen Veggies: about $3-$4
Activia Yogurt: $5.29 for 8
Hamburger/Hot dog buns: $2.49

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don"t know. I just went to pick up a steak and veggies for dinner - Jen is coming home from college in So Cal tonight - and it was $45.00!

Don"t get me started on gas.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittymommy

Oddly enough, I'll be in Norman tonight. Well, about 1 a.m.

I've delivered to Aldi stores. They sure seem to be run oddly.

And a funny story about HEB. They have a long reputation of mistreating truck drivers delivering to them. Most grocery warehouses are a pain, requiring drivers who have driven all night unload their own trucks or pay the warehouse to unload them. Some years back, a truck driver got hit by a forklift on their dock down in San Antonio and ended up losing all his toes. He asked for compensation, but they fought it tooth and nail. Eventually, they had to pay him something like $150,000 plus all his legal expenses. Turns out they have a long history of this.

And that's why I don't shop at HEB.

But it's interesting that so many of us mentioned Wal-Mart. I believe they are now the largest grocery chain in the U.S. Because of their economy of scale, they can provide some of the freshest food in the country. Just in our area, they have 5 big grocery warehouses. None of the other companies have more than 1.