Cosmic Cat Nip Scratching Boards

Gravy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats have had these same exact Cosmic Catnip brand scratching boards for the last couple of years, but are only recently demonstrating a strange obsession. Their products come with packets of catnip that you can sprinkle into the board if you choose to. I have never given them any cat nip in general, nor have I sprinkled any onto the boards, so I’m curious if maybe they put some in the boards in advance, and the packets are included if we want to add some extra. Lately my cats have been rubbing their faces on the cardboard, and rolling around on them, and even eating the pieces that come off. Like I said, they’ve never had catnip, but I know that cats rub their faces and get all excited over it. Just curious if anyone knows if the cosmic catnip brand has catnip in their board already, because I can’t find an answer anywhere else online. If they don’t, then why are my cats obsessing over these boards all of a sudden?

Side note: we moved about a month ago, so could they be smelling the old place and rubbing on it because it smells familiar? (They’ve had the boards down the whole time we’ve been here, but they’ve only recently been obsessed with them this last week)

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I’ve never used these, but why don’t you email the company and ask? :). Many companies are good about getting back to the customer with answers like this.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is the company that makes Cosmic Catnip, Home and every one of their scratchers that I could find has Cosmic Catnip embedded in the material. The fascinating thing is why they are only now going bonkers over them.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
It could because of old scents or just a recent discovery that these scratchers have multiple uses.. Some cats just develop a taste for cardboard, either to rub on or chew on. My girls favorite “toy” is a cardboard box which she eats the corners off of, scratches her chin on and hides behind to stare at me. She has also recently discovered (and she is seven) that she really really loves plastic bags to chew and roll on.