Cosequin side effects?

chris gadbois

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
My girl Onyx (8yr old) has a little limp and her Vet recommended Cosequin as a supplement. She has been on it daily for the last 7-8 weeks.

I've been notice a change in her behavior. Staring, lip-smacking, increased appetite, increased drinking. So we brought her back to the Vet, and she was certain Onyx was showing signs of being a diabetic. All of her bloodwork came back completely normal. I suspected that maybe the supplement might have something to do with it as these changes started about that same time as the Cosequin intake. I looked into the 'side effects' of Cosequin and found that in a small amount of cats it increased their blood sugar and also increased Insulin Resistance.

So last Wed I stopped the Cosequin. Since then her thirst has dropped a little, and her ravenous food intake, but she is restless. She doesn't sleep well, tail is twitching, eyes dilated. When I am not home she has taken to hiding under the bed alot (her 'safe' spot). I will likely take her to the Vet tomorrow anyway but anyone who's babies have had negative reactions to Cosequin I would appreciate hearing from. Thank you.

(Side note *** - Onyx had Hyperthyroidism in 2018 which was cured with the I-131 Treatment. While I suspected it had returned, I knew I have a bunch of old bloodwork to compare a new baseline to. All of her T4's were normal, and that's when the Cosequin became the suspect)

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Cosequin for Cats

If you want more support for your suspicions about Cosequin, the hiding, changes in behavior, restlessness, etc are mentioned here. They also bring up the additives used in formulating Cosequin. While they could be held liable for printing false information, I should add that Innovet sells CBD products and believes that is a better choice for your cat.

I am certainly not suggesting that you should start using CBD products and if it has ever crossed your mind, you need to make sure that you are aware of interactions with other medications, etc. Not going to move away from your topic, but I have used Innovet with both a dog and a cat and felt that CBD did nothing for them.

You are doing the right thing to return to the vet. Could your cat be one of the sensitive ones to Cosequin? Not impossible.