Cosequin, D-Mannose, or Corn Silk?

Kimluvs2dance

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all! I have a baby boy that had a blockage and now diagnosed with FLUTD with FIC. I just started him on Cosequin, but I have been seeing people loving D-Mannose and Corn Silk. What is best and how do I incorporate these? Can I give them all to him or is that excessive? Thank you for your helpšŸ˜Š

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't used Cosequin but often use Cornsilk and D Mannose together. The cornsilk is a diuretic, if he is in a flare mix 7 drops in a very small amount of water and syringe into him four times a day. When the clumps get bugger, decrease to three times a day, almost normal size, twice a day and when normal size clumps one a day for 7 days. The D Mannose flushes the debris from the bladder. Give one eighth of a teaspoon a day in a little water and syringe for several days. Both are natural products and don't interfere with other meds taken.
The above is how I treat my boy when he has a flare but others treat differently. Hopefully other members with experience will pass on their experience.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kimluvs2dance

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't used Cosequin but often use Cornsilk and D Mannose together. The cornsilk is a diuretic, if he is in a flare mix 7 drops in a very small amount of water and syringe into him four times a day. When the clumps get bugger, decrease to three times a day, almost normal size, twice a day and when normal size clumps one a day for 7 days. The D Mannose flushes the debris from the bladder. Give one eighth of a teaspoon a day in a little water and syringe for several days. Both are natural products and don't interfere with other meds taken.
The above is how I treat my boy when he has a flare but others treat differently. Hopefully other members with experience will pass on their experience.
Thank you so much for this information! Can I just put it in a little bit of water? Heā€™s traumatized by the syringe from the gabapentin he was on for a few weeks. Also, do you give both of these at the same time or separately?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Whichever way you can get him to take them, even mixed in food or a treat. I always leave about 15 minutes between but some give at the same time.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can only speak about D-Mannose. I use pure D-Mannose powder and mix 1/4 tsp daily into Feeby's food. Feeby was prone to UTIs and only has had one since I started D-Mannose, but that happened when I reduced giving it to her once or twice a week instead of daily.

I gave it concurrently with a joint supplement, like Cosequin - when I was able to get her to take both. But I did the Cosequin-like products more for helping with her arthritis.

my_money_pit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can only speak about D-Mannose. I use pure D-Mannose powder and mix 1/4 tsp daily into Feeby's food. Feeby was prone to UTIs and only has had one since I started D-Mannose, but that happened when I reduced giving it to her once or twice a week instead of daily.

I gave it concurrently with a joint supplement, like Cosequin - when I was able to get her to take both. But I did the Cosequin-like products more for helping with her arthritis.
I am using a D mannose that contains cranberry and probiotics. Is that something to worry about? Should I switch to a pure d mannose?