Cortisone Shot

catconcern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Hey Catconcern,

Sorry to hear about your cat. How long has it been since he got the shot? My cat got the shot last Monday (June 30th) for developing ulcers that he often gets which cleared up magically but his behavior changed so drastically! Anyway, we took him back to the vet again on Saturday (July 5th) cause his condition was getting worse and when I had called the vet they said that this was not normal, bring him back in as he might be having some discomfort. On the 5th, the vet took his temperature and he had a high fever of 106 degrees! They gave him fluids, B12 and B-complex and antibiotic shot. His blood work came out normal. They asked to monitor him and take him back in again this Monday if he doesn't improve.

He seemed a little better after coming back from the vet as he seemed more interested in the food. But still, not eating enough. He just eats a few bites and then tries to cover the food. I am trying all sorts of varieties of food but in vain.

Did your cat develop a lump before or after the shot? Prayers to your cat and you - hope he gets well soon. Try to be optimistic. I know it is hard but I hear it affects the cats too. (Easier said than done for me :( )

Take care.
Hi Mowgli, his last shot was the saturday before last,  the 28th. Got his bloodwork today and some tests back last friday and everything is fine but there is some liver problems and his anemic, nothing major though. He had lumps before the one that started all this was his throat one and since the cortisone i must say the lump in his throat has almost vanished. I know I have to be more optimistic I think he is picking up on that and as someone else said after going thru a similar thing I think my worry and always checking up on him is getting on his nerves. Thanks for the prayers, i just said some for your cat too.

That sucks your cats temp is so high I feel for you and im going through a lot of what youre going through. Hopefully our cats heal up like some others did 3 or 4 weeks after getting cortisone. I wont be getting that anymore for him should he clear up from this tbh at this stage its hard to see him getting back to his normal self although I did play with him then with wool and he chased after it and started purring but then he goes back to laying down doing nothing. They recommended X-RAYS but that means anesthetic and that is a risk giving his old age

Lets keep each other posted. All the best for you and your cat may good be with you and all of us and our cats, family etc.

mowglithecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Hi Mowgli, his last shot was the saturday before last,  the 28th. Got his bloodwork today and some tests back last friday and everything is fine but there is some liver problems and his anemic, nothing major though. He had lumps before the one that started all this was his throat one and since the cortisone i must say the lump in his throat has almost vanished. I know I have to be more optimistic I think he is picking up on that and as someone else said after going thru a similar thing I think my worry and always checking up on him is getting on his nerves. Thanks for the prayers, i just said some for your cat too.

That sucks your cats temp is so high I feel for you and im going through a lot of what youre going through. Hopefully our cats heal up like some others did 3 or 4 weeks after getting cortisone. I wont be getting that anymore for him should he clear up from this tbh at this stage its hard to see him getting back to his normal self although I did play with him then with wool and he chased after it and started purring but then he goes back to laying down doing nothing. They recommended X-RAYS but that means anesthetic and that is a risk giving his old age

Lets keep each other posted. All the best for you and your cat may good be with you and all of us and our cats, family etc.
I think if your cat is grooming, it should be a good thing. Means that he is not that miserable. Last time Mowgli got sick for 5 days (he had pancreatitis) last November, his condition was way worse. He had 105.some fever too and wasn't eating anything at all then. Not even coming to the food bowl or not even sniffing treats. I had to force-feed him. At that time he was terrible. Not even grooming himself.

So, I think if they groom themselves they aren't feeling that bad. Also, I watched on "My Cat from Hell" that a cat would groom itself if it is feeling relaxed and confident. Not under stress. Mowgli never grooms himself at the vet, may be cause he is super stressed at that time.

Mowgli usually meows every morning cause he gets bored or wants attention/food. But these days he is meowing lesser than usual. I guess he too has lost his voice to some extent. May be it is just a part of the lethargy.

catconcern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I think if your cat is grooming, it should be a good thing. Means that he is not that miserable. Last time Mowgli got sick for 5 days (he had pancreatitis) last November, his condition was way worse. He had 105.some fever too and wasn't eating anything at all then. Not even coming to the food bowl or not even sniffing treats. I had to force-feed him. At that time he was terrible. Not even grooming himself.

So, I think if they groom themselves they aren't feeling that bad. Also, I watched on "My Cat from Hell" that a cat would groom itself if it is feeling relaxed and confident. Not under stress. Mowgli never grooms himself at the vet, may be cause he is super stressed at that time.

Mowgli usually meows every morning cause he gets bored or wants attention/food. But these days he is meowing lesser than usual. I guess he too has lost his voice to some extent. May be it is just a part of the lethargy.
Thats so terrible. I should consider myself lucky then as my cats situation doesnt sound as bad as yours/was. Yep maybe he's not as bad as what I think then if he's grooming himself. Your cat not grooming himself after the vet could be down to what you said, hes just stressed. Both our cats clearly arent themselves hopefully it is just the lethargy and it passes.

Thankyou MTC.

mowglithecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Thats so terrible. I should consider myself lucky then as my cats situation doesnt sound as bad as yours/was. Yep maybe he's not as bad as what I think then if he's grooming himself. Your cat not grooming himself after the vet could be down to what you said, hes just stressed. Both our cats clearly arent themselves hopefully it is just the lethargy and it passes.

Thankyou MTC.
Mowgli has been grooming himself too, so it shouldn't be as bad. I was surprised when the doc said that he has 106 fever. But that day (Friday and Saturday before the vet visit), he probably had high fever and wasn't feeling that well cause I didn't notice him grooming. I saw him grooming today, so I am happy. I am just hoping that the steroid effect will go away quickly.

The doc said that this does not happen from the cortisone. May be it was a coincidence. I also read that cortisone in cats usually doesn't have side effects. But who knows. With so many cats having a reaction to cortisone may be some more research needs to be done!

Good luck to you dear. Hugs and kisses to your cat!

catconcern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Mowgli has been grooming himself too, so it shouldn't be as bad. I was surprised when the doc said that he has 106 fever. But that day (Friday and Saturday before the vet visit), he probably had high fever and wasn't feeling that well cause I didn't notice him grooming. I saw him grooming today, so I am happy. I am just hoping that the steroid effect will go away quickly.

The doc said that this does not happen from the cortisone. May be it was a coincidence. I also read that cortisone in cats usually doesn't have side effects. But who knows. With so many cats having a reaction to cortisone may be some more research needs to be done!

Good luck to you dear. Hugs and kisses to your cat!
More research should be done Mowgli and dont be so sure of the vet, seems to be the case according to several posters here that their cat wasnt the same. I mean it could not be, but I think its strange that so many have reported their cat not being the same, lethargic, my cats breathing the way he never had so that would for sure elevate his blood temp just like your cat. 

Honestly, vets and doctors are like everyone. PPL are different. Some know a lot, some dont know a thing imo. In saying that even the best can get things wrong etc. Im not saying your vet is wrong just saying we put ppl like that on pedar stools.  Theyre only human and not always right.

mowglithecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

More research should be done Mowgli and dont be so sure of the vet, seems to be the case according to several posters here that their cat wasnt the same. I mean it could not be, but I think its strange that so many have reported their cat not being the same, lethargic, my cats breathing the way he never had so that would for sure elevate his blood temp just like your cat. 

Honestly, vets and doctors are like everyone. PPL are different. Some know a lot, some dont know a thing imo. In saying that even the best can get things wrong etc. Im not saying your vet is wrong just saying we put ppl like that on pedar stools.  Theyre only human and not always right.
You are right! Especially when it comes to animals who can't speak or express in words how they feel, not many people care. :(

One thing is for sure that I would never let Mowgli have another Cortizone shot. I'm just praying that both your and my cats recover soon. Also, prayers to all the little kitties and animals out there.