Cordelia (3ish years) not eating

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cordelia is fed on our kitchen counter, so that our other cat doesn't eat her food - she's a grazer (and he can't make the jump).

She did not finish/eat dinner last night. Sometimes she won't eat a lot, so we chalked it up to that and figured she'd finish her breakfast. She didn't eat any of it. We put down brand new kibble and she's not shown any interest. We even left out some dog kibble as she likes it. Nope.

She is a picky eater at the best of times, but loves this kibble we've settled on. If she hasn't eaten dinner by tomorrow morning, I'll try to get an appointment to bring her to the vet.

She doesn't like wet food, or I'd offer her something soft and stinky.

We checked her mouth, and near as we can tell, all is okay. I'm no expert, but her teeth and gums looked fine.

We need to check her hydration - just going to let her alone for a little bit.

She's been her usual affectionate self.

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cordelia is fed on our kitchen counter, so that our other cat doesn't eat her food - she's a grazer (and he can't make the jump).

She did not finish/eat dinner last night. Sometimes she won't eat a lot, so we chalked it up to that and figured she'd finish her breakfast. She didn't eat any of it. We put down brand new kibble and she's not shown any interest. We even left out some dog kibble as she likes it. Nope.

She is a picky eater at the best of times, but loves this kibble we've settled on. If she hasn't eaten dinner by tomorrow morning, I'll try to get an appointment to bring her to the vet.

She doesn't like wet food, or I'd offer her something soft and stinky.

We checked her mouth, and near as we can tell, all is okay. I'm no expert, but her teeth and gums looked fine.

We need to check her hydration - just going to let her alone for a little bit.

She's been her usual affectionate self.
The behavior is a good sign. Maybe some tuna water could "prime the pump" ? Cats instinctively know when to eat and when to fast. One thing to keep an eye on is the color of her gums. If they go white-ish, that's a danger signal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks tnrmakessense tnrmakessense - we've tried tuna water when switching foods (unsuccessfully; she likes THIS food). She didn't have a lot of interest. She's a little odd that way.

She came over for snuggles and a little biscuit kneading - I tested her tenting on the back of her neck and near as I can tell her hydration is great. So that's a relief.

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Huge relief. One other thought that you've probably already tried - Temptations. My cats go nuts for them. Maybe you could smash them up and sprinkle them on her food. The tantalizing coating is the same as Fortiflora powder which you can order from Chewy.

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Huge relief. One other thought that you've probably already tried - Temptations. My cats go nuts for them. Maybe you could smash them up and sprinkle them on her food. The tantalizing coating is the same as Fortiflora powder which you can order from Chewy.
Oh we should've tried Temptations! I just went in to put some down and she followed me in and started eating her food - not a lot, but some. I gave her some Temptations too, so she's eaten a bit more now. I stood in there with her while she grazed, she eats on her own, but her favourite is eating with company. We've been trying to get her to come in with us. I am cautiously hopeful.

Thanks so much!!!!

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well she ate some Temptations and 7g of kibble. I called the vet's office and a vet will call me back when they get in. :(

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet called back - they're holding an appointment for us at 5:30, and if she eats better, we will cancel it, but if she doesn't, we can take her in and they'll check her over and do bloodwork.

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks neely neely

We took her in - they said we could bloodwork, or they could give her some fluids, see if that helped, and hold a bloodwork tech appointment for tomorrow. I wanted to do both, my husband wanted to wait on the bloodwork.

I had noticed when I tented her today it didn't fall back as quickly as it had last night - the vet agreed. Not dehydrated per se, but less then she could be. They gave her fluids and we brought her home with a reserved tech appointment tomorrow afternoon.

She's eaten 10g of food since she's been home. Which is far more normal for her eating pattern. We'll see how much more is gone tomorrow morning. I am cautiously hopeful.

Our vet said - she's in great/perfect condition other than this. If we hadn't told her that Cordelia had inappetence, she'd never think anything was wrong. It's the same thing puzzling us - she's been totally normal.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has she been pooping? She might be constipated. That just backs everything up and makes kitties not want to eat.

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has she been pooping? She might be constipated. That just backs everything up and makes kitties not want to eat.
We think so. We have two cats, but there's a regular amount of poop. The vet felt around in her abdomen/gut area and didn't have any concerns that she mentioned, and said that Cordelia had no pain when she did that.

It's a good thing to raise though, thanks. We will need to keep an eye out if she doesn't improve.

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She ate all of dinner (last night)!!!!! So relieved. I think we can cancel the bloodwork!

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She started getting picky again. We put down a sample of Fromm's and her regular Acana, and she ate about 10g of Fromm's last night - but it's not enough. Different scale, but I weighed her on the human scale (holding her vs. not holding her weight) as our luggage scale isn't charged. She's lost .8lbs in the last week. Normal behaviour and she's hydrated (tented her). The vet should be calling me back, but I think we'll be doing bloodwork.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The vet should be calling me back, but I think we'll be doing bloodwork.
I think that's an excellent idea since a lot of information can be gained through bloodwork. Better to find out if any of her levels are out of range since she's starting to lose weight. Please keep us updated when you get the results. Best of luck! 🤗

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And if bloodwork is normal but she's still anorexic, you might consider a dental exam under anesthesia with mouth xrays. Some dental problems start below the gum line. They don't show up in a visual exam.

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks neely neely and daftcat75 daftcat75 - I appreciate it. I brought her in for bloodwork this morning, so hopefully will hear first thing tomorrow! (Our vet closes in 35 minutes and I'm not sure it'd have been processed today in any event)

She's eaten 12g between Fromm's and Acana so far today. So still below what she should be, but she's getting SOMETHING in. Poor girl.

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Her bloodwork looks great (other than lymphocytes, which is apparently not uncommon with cats stressed to be at the vet).

She only ate 9g of food last night. I asked about dental stuff below the gum line, which the vet thinks is unlikely as her mouth is SO pristine. Cancer is also unlikely given her age.

We’re going to pick up some super enticing food (we’ve been trying different kinds already, as well as offering her normal Acana) from the vet, and hopefully get on a schedule for an ultrasound next week - vet is wondering about IBD. I am not convinced as I had a foster cat with IBD who had diarrhea every single day until I put her on raw then grain free...BUT, the whole 'not eating' flare is familiar.

If the ultrasound is normal, then we'll likely sedate and do dental x-rays.

AUGH!

jarn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's booked for Tuesday, and I have the day off (maybe don't need it, working from home and all at the moment, but I wanted flexibility).

WITH that said, she ate 20g of her Acana (full breakfast meal). I'd put down some of the 'highly-palatable' gastro food and she ignored it.

I think, unless she eats 20g/meal every meal until Monday when we can decide whether to pull the ultrasound appointment, she's going to that damned appointment. I confess I'm tempted to have her get it anyways.