Copperhead bite

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor Psymon! It's very encouraging to read about Pebbles and to see her looking so beautiful today. Many :vibes: for Psymon's recovery. Sounds like you're prepared to do what it takes to help him survive.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Mega :vibes: that Psymon makes as complete a recovery as Pebbles did! That's a very scary situation.

Last edited:

cass

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Sid looked nothing like that and the vet could not find the fang marks but in the country they are common so lucky the vet knew the signs. He was dribbly and floppy and his pupils were dilated.. the vet said 5 mins later he would have been dead. My 16 y.o. little sis found him on the ground and thought at 1st he was hot then lucky he smart little brain thought snake. Her quick thinking to ring me saved him!
Country vets are sometimes out on jobs so it was an effort to get him and have him at the clinic on time to treat Sid!

@jcribbs...look up red belly black snake too..thats the common 2 at my mums! Ill have to look up this type!

cass

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The country vet said most die untreated, some straight away but it was not Sids time because god knows how long he was laying before my sister found him and then via phone my mum took hours to be convinced it was a snake (because he was not dead already and we had lost cats to snakes before) so he is a lucky old boy! He was my 1st rescue along with his sister (she is black and white and he is tabby) :)

cass

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
[ATTACHMENT=573]IMG_141267608381932.jpeg (87k. jpeg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Christina --- Poor little Psymon.......  And I feel for the humans too........  Psymon got it worse than Pebbles.  It looks like he got a lot of venom....But he will recover.  He is already on the road to recovery.....  it will just take some time.

My thoughts are with him.  He will be his old self in no time.  In a couple weeks, you'll be surprised at how great he feels..  Keep me posted...

-------------------------

And Cass, your kitty is HUGH!!  He is one big boy.  I will look up that red belly black snake too.  I looked up the brown one.  They sound pretty venomous.  And too bad they are so common.  One story I read was about a woman who found one curled up in her vehicle underneath her childs car seat.......  It did not bite the baby.  The mother saw it move when she was getting ready to put her child in the seat. She called the FD or someone to come remove the snake from her car. 

Last edited:

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Christina, one more thing.....

I realize each snake bite is individual, but that black stuff on Psymon...... that's what I kept washed off of Pebbles.  That's the skin that the venom has killed.   I did not let it accumulate on her neck.  The dead skin grows larger for a while due to the venom.  Pebbles had deep holes in her neck where the venom went inward.. One hole was approx 1/2" deep with a big flap over it ..  In Psymon, you can see blackness underneath other areas of his skin that is shaved.  I suspect that skin will sloth off as well.  The skin dies very quickly with venom.    It's looks like the vet is drying it out and I kept Pebbles skin moist.  I'm not sure why I did that, but it seemed like the thing to do....  I don't know if that's why her hair grew back, but her scar tissue is at a minimum but that could also be due to vitamin C.  I can feel a slight thickness under her fur at the bite location, but that is all.   When the skin started healing, it healed just as fast as it died in the beginning.

You know those pics of Psymon were taken the same day...... The dead skin happens fast......  In a few more days, the skin dying will reach it's peak and then it will start healing.

Just remember -->   He has already made it.  He just  has to recover now...... He will be okay...

Jenn

Last edited:

christinaponce

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
@jcat, thank you I hope he recovers just as Pebbles did[emoji]128570[/emoji]
@Cass I'm so happy Sid survived, I tell you cats are fighters!
Thank you Jenn for your thoughts and prayers[emoji]128519[/emoji], the necrotic skin started the next day after the bite, the skin just came off on its own, it was pretty scary. I thought he was going to die because he couldn't keep himself up anymore. But yesterday he started to perk up, he even got up to eat food on his own. Today he wanted to go outside but we're not letting him[emoji]128575[/emoji]. We're also applying antibiotic ointment to the affected area but he gives himself baths and it doesn't stay on like we would like. I love the fullness of Pebbles' hair, my mom's cat has hair just like that[emoji]128522[/emoji]. Thank you Jenn for your reassurance, I wish I would've found this website sooner...

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It took Pebbles neck at least a month before the wounds were absolutely closed.  It stayed open for a long time.  The wound just slowly got smaller and smaller....

Last edited:

cass

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes Sid is a big ol boy! Id say he would weigh 7ish kgs. He is solid!! He is a country cat, eats mice, the dog food..anything and everything!! Haha. Not like my little fuss pots in the suburbs!

Sending good thoughts to kit..im sure all will turn out fine :) x