Coping with worry, stress and grief

CyndyR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am new to this site-I know putting a beloved pet down truly breaks your heart. But I know that sometimes, it is all we can do for our pet and know we did our best to love and care for them. Had to put my border collie, Katie, to sleep last summer due to cancer. We did surgery, melanoma shots, and everything we could think of to keep her with us. So painful to let her go.
Now my cat, Lucy, who is about 16 has been diagnosed with cancer in her spleen. (Mast) The vet thinks it best not to do surgery, that she would not live that much afterwards. (besides the cost) I am somewhat on the fence.
And, we adopted a two year old tiny dog in May and found it has heartworm. So we have just started treatment. So that creates more worry and stress.
Thoughts out there? I dread watching poor Lucy, our cat, start to go downhill.
Thank you for listening-CyndyR

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think your vet is correct. A surgery would be horribly painful, and then she would still likely pass soon, if she even survived the surgery. Mast cell cancer is relentless when it has gone internal.

Love her and do what you can for her comfort. Look for signs she is ready for release. Any decision made with love is the right one.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry you lost your Katie last year, and now are facing these new issues. If you are on the fence with Lucy, perhaps get a 2nd opinion just to make sure you have absolutely valid information, which will help you better determine what to do. If the 2nd Vet agrees that you should not treat surgically, then that's probably the route to take. Then give her all the love you can until you see her habits changing for the worse or she gives you some signs that she is uncomfortable. Yes, it will break your heart, but it is the greatest gift you can give her by letting her go before she suffers from this. Most of us here have been through this decision making process and it never gets any easier :alright:.

CaseysMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, CyndyR,

Welcome to the site. I am sorry it is under sad circumstances. I joined recently myself when I was close to saying goodbye to my 15 yo angel who had cancer. She has crossed the bridge now, and everyone here was so supportive. It is so hard to lose a fur baby, and maybe the only thing that helps a little bit is reaching out to other people who "get it".

From what you've posted, I agree that your vet is right about the surgery. You don't want her last days to be trying to recover from a surgery and possibly not. :( That's what happened to my Casey, and I'll probably have trouble processing that for the rest of my life. But I also agree with the idea of getting a second opinion. I wish I had done this before the surgery, but did it after, and it at least helped put my mind at ease that the diagnosis was correct and there was nothing else that could have been done. I think anything that will help put your mind at ease is a good idea.

Hugs. :hugs: I know the stress and worry is so, so hard. We are here for you.