Cooking liver and gizzard

ankitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I found some chicken liver and gizzard in an Asian grocery store. I'm not comfortable feeding them raw, so I'd like to cook them, and mix with slightly cooked chicken or turkey thigh (following Dr. Pierson's recipe). Are there proper ways to cook them? Can I cook in a small amount of water, or should put them in oven? 

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was making cooked cat food I cooked the liver and gizzards in water on the stove top and mixed the water into the food. It's important to add the water to the food because some nutrients will leach out into it during cooking. As with cooking the thighs in Dr P's recipe they don't need to be fully cooked.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ankitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

When I was making cooked cat food I cooked the liver and gizzards in water on the stove top and mixed the water into the food. It's important to add the water to the food because some nutrients will leach out into it during cooking. As with cooking the thighs in Dr P's recipe they don't need to be fully cooked.
Thank you. How long do you cook them?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you. How long do you cook them?
I don't remember exactly. I think just a few minutes. I wasn't concerned about them being cooked all the way through.