Cooking for One

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL...@muffy, there is a case of ramen noodles in my pantry right now! I use them instead of spaghetti a lot because they are so quick to cook. I can go from, "Gee, what am I having for supper tonight" to sitting down to spaghetti and garlic bread (a piece of toast done in the over) in 5 minutes flat! People who are cooking for one LOVE stuff like this!
Yes, that is why I make ramen noodles so much. It's easy and quick. That is a good idea for making garlic bread. I was going to have it tonight but I remember I have some vegetable barley soup I got at Safeway and it is starting to get old. It's too expensive to throw it away. Ramen is perfect for people who live alone.

Muffy

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
On the same idea as ramen noodles, I've started making the single serving Kraft Dinner cups. Just add water, microwave and ready in 4 minutes. And to keep it healthy, I steam some broccoli to go with it. Easy, quick and little mess. :lol:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On the same idea as ramen noodles, I've started making the single serving Kraft Dinner cups. Just add water, microwave and ready in 4 minutes. And to keep it healthy, I steam some broccoli to go with it. Easy, quick and little mess. :lol:
That is a good way to use ramen. I use to love Kraft spaghetti in a box. I'll have to get some if they still make it.
Muffy

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Speaking of easy (fast and cheap). I'll be putting together some PBJ sandwiches in the freezer for Grab'-N'Go's.

I had a raincheck for 2 loaves of 88 cent honey wheat bread, plus bought a loaf of garlic bread on sale. When I got home I wondered how to eat 3 loaves of bread by myself. :paperbag: :headscratch:

Anyway PBJ's freeze well, so cheap bread, 1.88 for store-brand peanut butter and free homemade jelly from the stepmother. Should take care of one loaf.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OH HEY! Have you guys seen the Duncan Hines "Perfect Size for One" cake mixes? You put it in a coffee mug, add 2 or 3 tbsp water, mix and microwave for...well...about a minute. They come 4 to a pack, and run about two and a half bucks. AND they come in all sorts of flavors, including just plain old corn muffin. No icing, you just eat it from the cup with a spoon. They're really quite good, and easy!

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
It seems counterintuitive, but instead of giving/throwing away my Mason jars, I'm using them more than ever. In the winter, I use a six-pack cooler lined with reflectix to take warm Mason jars full of food into the woods for cozy picnics. I use the lids to bake cookie sized mini-pies.

Here's a recipe for pancakes in a jar:

I also use my freezers a lot, so I haven't really allocated how much for the furkids and how much for myself yet. I guess we'll figure that out as we go along.

For myself, I use the freezer to cook when it is convenient, preserve food when it is in season, and save food that is near its "expiration date".

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's quick one for you, and when you live alone, quick is WONDERFUL! I keep a case of ramen noodles in my pantry. When I want a really quick supper, I cook the noodles, DO NOT ADD THE FLAVOR PACKET, strain, dump on a plate and add tomato sauce or pesto. Italian supper in 5 minutes flat. And that includes popping a slice of bread in the toaster and spreading it with garlic butter (I always take a bit of butter and add herbs, garlic, etc to it to keep on hand!).
I also keep a case of ramen noodles. Sometimes I will cook the noodles and add pasta sauce. It is quick and tasty.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also keep a case of ramen noodles. Sometimes I will cook the noodles and add pasta sauce. It is quick and tasty.
I've done this too. Quick and easy. I've also cooked the noodles, drained the water and added a beaten egg, some butter and seasonings like garlic or onion or just a little of the seasoning packet. It's good.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
I can't find the link, but a couple of years ago I found this recipe for when I want pasta but I'm too lazy to go to the store. I like whole wheat pasta, which is exorbitantly priced if you can even find it, so I love being able to DIY and just use all whole wheat flour.

Preparation Time : 30 mins
Makes : 20 to 25 lasagna sheets

Ingredients:

All Purpose Flour / Maida - 1 cup
Wheat Flour / Atta - 1/2 cup
Water a little less than 3/4 cup

Method:

Take a bowl, add in wheat flour and maida in a bowl. Mix well using a fork.

Add in water slowly and use the fork to mix it to a dough. Knead it for few mins to make it smooth.

Now let it rest for 10 mins.

Now divide it into two portion. Roll each one into a pretty thin square. Cut it in half and now roll each half into long thin sheets.

Use the pan which you are making lasagna as guideline and cut it accordingly.

Now cut into shapes like lasagna or thin strips for linguine..Dust generously with flour between them and set aside till use.

How to cook:

Bring lots of water to boil, add salt to it.

Drop pasta in and cook for 2 to 4 mins depending on the thickness of pasta.

Drain and toss into your favourite sauce.

Serve hot.

For Making Lasagna:

Bring lots of water to boil, add salt to it.

Drop pasta in and cook for 2 to 4 mins depending on the thickness of pasta.

Drain them and lay on a plate. Assemble the sheets with sauces and bake till golden..
For spaghetti, you just cut them in smaller strips. For macaroni, like for mac and cheez, I guess you either buy a machine or get over yourself and make a different shape, lol.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It seems counterintuitive, but instead of giving/throwing away my Mason jars, I'm using them more than ever. In the winter, I use a six-pack cooler lined with reflectix to take warm Mason jars full of food into the woods for cozy picnics. I use the lids to bake cookie sized mini-pies.

Here's a recipe for pancakes in a jar:

[/URL]

I also use my freezers a lot, so I haven't really allocated how much for the furkids and how much for myself yet. I guess we'll figure that out as we go along.

For myself, I use the freezer to cook when it is convenient, preserve food when it is in season, and save food that is near its "expiration date".
I will definitely be using this tip! I hate baking a whole pie just for me (mainly because I will then EAT the whole pie to "keep it from going bad." She said. AND even if I have to buy the jar lids, they're fairly cheap!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OH...I've taken to buying a dozen eggs to boil and keep in the fridge (shells on) for quick egg salad, or just a healthy snack. SO much easier than boiling them to order, and I always use them before the next (monthly) shopping trip. On the rare occasions that there are one or two left over, they are peels, minced, and go out to my ferals, who really love the extra protein!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
WOW...I forgot I even had this thread! It's one of those that will go dormant, then pick up as we discover a new trick! So, here's mine!

I now buy ground beef bulk. About 15 pounds at a time. I bring it home, break it into 1 pound batches, put each pound of beef into a 1 quart zip-top freezer bag, and SMUSH it down as flat as it will go. That way, I can store the packages flat in my freezer, and 15 pounds of ground beef fits into a 7x8" space, about a foot high. And it thaws REALLY fast!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great idea. Those 1-lb lumps of ground beef are hard to store and thaw. Let's hope there's going to be enough beef in the stores to buy in bulk.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So far, ground beef in my area is fine. That's why I got 15 pounds this time! That's at least a six-month supply for me, since I use it for casseroles that last several days.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I don't eat beef, since I'm vegetarian. But I would love to have some cooking for one recipes. Great idea.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
YOU CAN FREEZE CHEESE! Now, it does change the texture, but for cooking, that doesn't matter in the least! I'm going to buy a BIG bag of preshredded cheese (maybe two types), bring them home, measure out 1 cup servings, and freeze in small bags!