Cookie's eye's are bad

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

purrfectcatlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Momofmany . I think it hurt him the way he was acting lately hiding unter the bed . And I am so happy about the good news that he only needs some meds to get better

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Go Cookie, Go Cookie YEAH!!!!! I am so thrilled it's something that can be treated so easily what a relief!!!!!

purrfectcatlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Hellen

Cookie seems to do pretty good now since I place the ointments in his eye
. Not that he like me doing it , but then he is a very gendle cat too . He don't hide any more and sure is a good sign of feeling better

purrfectcatlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I don't know about Cookie . How long does a ulcer take to heal ? Somebody I know said a it take a long time to heal . When should I see some improvement ? Any body know ? It still look grey to me
, maybe I worry to much . I still blame myself somehow for that ulcer

mom of 10 cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Taken from http://www.vetinfo4cats.com/cateye.h...rneal%20Ulcers

Corneal Ulcers

Q: My cat has a corneal ulcer. How long will it take to heal?

A: Most of the time corneal ulcers heal with antibiotic eye drops within 3 to 5 days. If this problem has persisted longer than that, please let me know.

Mike Richards, DVM

Q: About my cat's eye ulcer --- As you have said, most corneal ulcers probably heal within 3 to 5 days with antibiotic treatment.....However, poor little Tigby is now into this for 18 days!!! My vet has chosen Neobacimyx QID, and atropine sulfate BID. He went in for a re-check, and had his sutures for the 3rd eyelid
removed.....he's doing better, but not that much. His eye is still very much dialated from the atropine (which I've stopped), and I'm still using the antibiotic on a QID basis. What else, if anything can I do to help him along....He's still having trouble with the eye, and I'm not altogether sure that this vet is doing all that can be done for Tigby. You mentioned something about more information about difficult ulcers.....it very much appears that this one is VERY DIFFICULT!!!!

Thanks S

A: S-

Persistent corneal ulcers in cats are usually due to herpes virus. In these ulcers, antibiotic drops are not helpful except to prevent secondary bacterial infection. Atropine sometimes makes the eye feel a little better by relaxing the muscles that may spasm due to ocular pain but has no direct healing benefit that I am aware of.

It is necessary to use antiviral medications in some cats to get these ulcers to heal and it can be helpful to use l-lysine supplementation (this is a food supplement). Some ophthalmologists think that debriding the ulcer edges is helpful and there is some disagreement about what the best topical anti-viral ophthalmic preparation is.

I tend to refer these cases to a veterinary ophthalmologist in my area because this is an easy option for me, but it is possible for most general practices to write prescriptions for anti-viral eye drops or to use very dilute povidone iodine to treat these eyes. Interferon is reported to help sometimes (orally and/or topically) and oral acyclovir has been reported to help in severe cases.

There are cats who are treated with several anti-viral agents who do not respond to treatment. This can be a very frustrating disorder to treat.

Once in a while we see a case of eosinophilic keratitis in a cat that really looks like it has caused a corneal ulcer (or is a corneal ulcer). This is treated differently than persistent ulcers due to herpes virus. In these cats, corticosteroids are necessary to resolve the problem. It is obviously very important to distinguish between the two types of problems. Corneal scrapings submitted for cytologic exam by a pathologist is a good way to distinquish betweeeosinophilic keratitis and ulcers from herpes, if there is any question of this.

Lots of places in the country now have veterinary ophthalmologists on at least a visiting basis, so it may be worthwhile to ask your vet for a referral.

Good luck with this.

Mike Richards, DVM
9/1/99

Repeated corneal ulcers

Q: We have an Exotic Long Hair, five years old who now has had 3 episodes of corneal ulcers. No history of trauma has been noted. Each time the vet has treated him with Chloramphenicol eye drops, for secondary Infection. The ulcers are singular and sheet-like across the cornea and always unilateral. What could their origin be and is there anything we can do to prevent them? Thank you very much

A: By far the most common cause of recurrent or difficult to cure corneal ulcers in cats is chronic herpes virus infection.

It can be helpful to use l-lysine at 250 to 500mg/day to help control this problem. It can be purchased at health food type stores, usually.

If your vet knows a source of anti-viral eye drops (I think they are hard to get right now but haven't had to treat for this recently so I am not sure), they can be helpful, too.

It is possible to do punctate keratotomy surgery for stubborn ulcers in cats. This is a fairly simple procedure but if your vet hasn't done this before he or she may want to send you to a veterinary ophthalmologist for the procedure.

That may be a good idea, anyway, given the difficulty in clearing up this ulcer. These are frustrating and the ophthalmologist may not be able to help much more than your local vet but at least you'd get a second opinion.

Mike Richards, DVM

scott77777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This was the same problem Tiki had...

The ulcer actually looked worse before it got better. If memory serves, it was a few weeks before it really looked better, and we had the vet check her out on a few occasions during that period. You need to follow the vet's advice and be really good about the medicine. I don't remember the exact meds, but there was one we bought which cost $100. Tiki required a cone for awhile to keep her from scratching her eye and making it worse.

I just wanted to post the photos so you realize that this is treatable. She still has cloudiness in one eye, but it doesn't seem to have affected her eyesight at all - she can run full-charge all over the house without running into anything, and she spots anything I throw right away.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hedi,
That's a great post full of information by Sue! I had one kitty who developed a corneal ulcer, and it did take us some time to clear it up, and we were eventually referred on to and saw a veterinary opthamolgist. Most importantly, we did succeed in saving the eye and some of her sight, and it didn't go on forever...we did get it healed. It may take persistance and patience but I believe you will get this cleared up.

best wishes to Cookie,

purrfectcatlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the reply , especialy Sue . Great info . The problem is , the vet did not say anything about a herpes virus to me . She only said that Cookie had a ulcer , thats it . She also showed me where the eye was damaged on him . Hmmmm , it seems a little better , but he still has a grey film over his eye . I got 2 ointments for him to place in his eye . Maybe I did not really get it in his eye in the beginning ? Or he does has a herpes virus there and the vet did not say anything to me .
Thank you all again for your help , it give me the info what I needet

cookie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
from the research I did, the ulcer is very often caused by herpes virus. (especially when it is in both eyes)

I would like to recommend getting GSE grapefruit seed extract drops to your kitties wet food. it fights viruses and bacteria. it is available at health stores.

when I got my last kitty Roxy, she has the virus and very bad eyes.
and the eye-oitment made them worse (a sign it was more due to the virus) and so I stopped the eye ointment (told by my vet) and gave her GSE along wiht her antibiotics from the vet (vet did not know about the GSE)

after a few days her eyes were totally clear.

also my Piper has an eye that acts up since I got her from the shelter, the first time I went to the vet they gave her oitment took 10 days to go away. now whenever she show a slight sign of it coming back I give her the GSE and in 2 days it is gone. she has had this happen twice since the first time.

so I think trying the GSE may really help your kitty, along with the meds told by your vet!

I have heard from others as well that GSE helped clear the eyes up fast!

if you want more info let me know!

purrfectcatlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your help Cookie .

I do have GSE and they trink it every day in their water
. Cookie only has in his left eye a ulcer . I think I scratch them eyes when I try to get the crust of his eyes (from the tears) and thats why they where both swollen . I also did not wash my hands and I smoke and think that may also did the swelling to his eyes .The injury on his eye is in the mittle of his left eye and I never touch that part of his eye . So maybe Lily may have scratch him in his eye , or when he was hiding unter the bed in the beginning he must hurt himself some how . That is what I am guessing now . Cookie's eye looks so much better today
. I think in the beginning I did not get the ointments in his eye , dumb me
. The last few days I make sure I get the ointments in his eyes and can tell the difference .

Thank you all again for helping me

cookie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
no problem, glad it's getting better!

I know what you mean, the oitment is hard to put in the eye the first few times!

It could have been many things that scratched cookie's one eye. sometimes a piece of dust gets in their eye and they rub there eye which can cause a scracth that leads to an ulcer, so don't blame yourself! cookie will be fine in a few days! keep up the good work with the oitment!

cookie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
no problem, glad it's getting better!

I know what you mean, the oitment is hard to put in the eye the first few times!

It could have been many things that scratched cookie's one eye. sometimes a piece of dust gets in their eye and they rub there eye which can cause a scracth that leads to an ulcer, so don't blame yourself! cookie will be fine in a few days! keep up the good work with the oitment!

purrfectcatlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I was wrong

Cookie still got the cloud in his eye , so I think he may also has herpes in there "sight" .

cookie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
sorry to hear that...

it might be a good time to up the GSE you already give cookie

I gave mine 3 drops in wet food twice a day to fight the virus...

is this the first time cookie has had any eye problems?

purrfectcatlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if he had any eye problems befor . Cookie is a rescue from a rescue group and I just have him maybe 3 weeks now .

Thanks Cookie

purrfectcatlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Up date on Cookie

I was by the vet today with Cookie and the vet told me that the reason it take that long is becours it was a great damage to his eye and thats why it take longer to heal .She also said that his eye looks good and is healing well and to continue with the one meds I have for his eye . Cookie also was snizzing lately and had fever at the vet . So now he also got some antibiotics to take
. It never ends at my house .

superkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad the vet gave him an improvement diagnosis on his eye, that's good news. It's harder to tell that he's any better since you see him daily, and it's probably a gradual thing.

Poor kitty, compounded with a cold too.
Cookie
, get well soon!! And *HUG* to you, hang in there.