Cookies, Cookies, Cookies!

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any Norwegians or Swedes out there?

Cardamom toast is my family's favorite Christmas cookie.

1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 doz. cardamom seeds (shelled and finely ground in mortar/pestle
OR
1 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
2 tsp. baking powder
3 cups flour

Warm butter in microwave until very soft or melted, but do not boil. Add eggs, sugar cardamom and baking powder. Mix until well blended. Gradually add flour. Mixture will be very stiff. When well mixed, put in greased/Pam 9x13 baking pan. Press mixture into corners to spread evenly.

Bake at 350 for 30 min.

Cut into long logs about 1 inch x 3 inches. Remove from pan and place on a cookie sheet. Reduce oven temp to 300 to 325 and bake on cookie sheet for another 30 min. The result should be much like biscotti - hard and dry and just perfect for dunking in coffee!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kara_leigh

I just made these cookies last night, and my family loves them. They are like sugar cookies with bits of toffee mixed in. They are delicious!!

Sparkling Butter Toffee Cookies

1 \tcup sugar
3/4 \tcup Butter, softened
1 \tegg
1 \tteaspoon vanilla
2 \tcups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 \tteaspoon baking soda
1/2 \tcup English or almond toffee bits(I used heath toffee bits)
\tSugar

Heat oven to 350°F. Combine sugar, butter, egg and vanilla in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Add flour, baking powder and baking soda; reduce speed to low. Beat until well mixed. Stir in toffee bits by hand. (I use my stand mixer on the lowest setting for a few seconds to do this b/c the dough is really stiff and hard to mix by hand)

Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in sugar. Place 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten each with bottom of glass to 1 1/2-inch circles. (If glass sticks, dip glass in sugar.) (They turn out just as well if you forget to cover them in sugar and flatten with a glass lol they just aren't as flat, more puffy)

Bake for 9 to 11 minutes or until edges are just lightly browned. (DO NOT OVER BAKE.) Sprinkle with sugar while warm. Cool completely. .

TIP: English toffee bits and chips are available in the baking section of large supermarkets.

TIP: Cookies may also be flattened with a fork in a criss-cross pattern.
I am drooling! Thanks for sharing the recipe! These sound wonderful!

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have a good chocolate chip cookie recipe. Im going to be using milk chocolate Hersheys chips but all the recipes Ive tried always end up too crunchy when they cool off out of the oven. Even the slice of bread in with the cookies (in the storage container) doesnt moisten them up. I have actually quit making chocolate chip cookies because I get frustrated. I have perfected sugar cookies..hmmm could I just add chocolate chips to a sugar cookie dough...lol...that would be super yummy.

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 3CatsN1Dog

Does anyone have a good chocolate chip cookie recipe. Im going to be using milk chocolate Hersheys chips but all the recipes Ive tried always end up too crunchy when they cool off out of the oven. Even the slice of bread in with the cookies (in the storage container) doesnt moisten them up. I have actually quit making chocolate chip cookies because I get frustrated. I have perfected sugar cookies..hmmm could I just add chocolate chips to a sugar cookie dough...lol...that would be super yummy.
When he gets home tonight, I'll pester my baker hubby .... he can tell you what to do to mae them less crunchy.... for the love of a cat, I can't remember!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I have a good (we think it is) recipe for chewy chocolate chip cookies. It's from King Arthur and it calls for light corn syrup and vinegar. In our opinion, those are the best CCC. I'll post it for you when I get home from work tonight.

Does anybody make biscotti? I make brown sugar-cinnamon biscotti and cranberry-orange biscotti for Christmas.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Winchester

I have a good (we think it is) recipe for chewy chocolate chip cookies. It's from King Arthur and it calls for light corn syrup and vinegar. In our opinion, those are the best CCC. I'll post it for you when I get home from work tonight.
Ooooh, that sounds good! I can't wait.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm terrible. I have found that the fastest and probably the cheapest whay to make chocolate chips is to get a tub of Nestle dough in the refrigerated section
I'm making cookies tonight
while I watch Charlie Brown

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Here's the recipe. It's from King Arthur's The Essential Cookie Companion, an excellent cookie book. What's interesting about this recipe is that it uses vinegar, which mixes with the baking soda to give the cookies a little bit of "lift" instead of a lot of spread.

The Essential Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie

3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
2/3 cup dark brown sugar
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 tablespoon cider vinegar or white vinegar
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2-1/4 cups unbleached all purpose flour
3 cups (18 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease (or line with parchment paper) two baking sheets.

In a medium-sized mixing bowl, cream together butter, sugars, corn syup, and vinegar. Beat in the eggs. Beat in the vanilla, salt, baking powder, baking soda. Stir in the flour and the chocolate chips.

Drop dough by tablespoons onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 10 minutes, until they're just set; the centers may look a bit underdone. Remove from the oven to cool on a wire rack.

Makes 4 dozen cookies.

My note: Watch the cookies in the oven because if you bake them too long, they won't be chewy; they'll get crisp. The centers will firm up while they're cooling on the racks. Also, use more cookie sheets, if you have them. If you put cookie dough on warm sheets, they're going to start spreading quickly and you won't get chewy....you'll get crispy.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Here's the recipe. It's from King Arthur's The Essential Cookie Companion, an excellent cookie book. What's interesting about this recipe is that it uses vinegar, which mixes with the baking soda to give the cookies a little bit of "lift" instead of a lot of spread.

2/3 cup dark brown sugar
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease (or line with parchment paper) two baking sheets.

In a medium-sized mixing bowl, cream together butter, sugars, corn syup, and vinegar. Beat in the eggs. Beat in the vanilla, salt, baking powder, baking soda. Stir in the flour and the chocolate chips.

Drop dough by tablespoons onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 10 minutes, until they're just set; the centers may look a bit underdone. Remove from the oven to cool on a wire rack.

Makes 4 dozen cookies.

My note: Watch the cookies in the oven because if you bake them too long, they won't be chewy; they'll get crisp. The centers will firm up while they're cooling on the racks. Also, use more cookie sheets, if you have them. If you put cookie dough on warm sheets, they're going to start spreading quickly and you won't get chewy....you'll get crispy.
Im gonna try this tonight. Im SOL on the extra baking sheets, Ive only got one cookie sheet and one round pizza sheet that I use for baking cookies. Someday Ill have all the baking stuff I want, that includes new pots and pans, a new crockpot, stand up mixer, and a full little cabinet thinger mabobber fulllllll of baking sheets and stuff. Someday Ill get it, probably when we win the lottery or either me or BF find out we have a super rich relative we never knew about that leaves us a pile of money that will never be touched by the goverment!!! You know...the usual get rich quick stuff.....LMAO!

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

2/3 cup dark brown sugar
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda

Makes 4 dozen cookies.

I think I'm going to try these tonight also. They sound good!

I love my cheapo cookie sheets that I have. I use two and by the time I take the cookies off the first one (the other is in the oven) and brush it off with a paper towel, it is cooled down. Plus, nothing sticks to them. Bought them for about $10 at Walmart for a set of 6, two small, two medium, two large. I guess some people would call them jelly roll pans, rather than cookie sheets, though.