Cookies, Cookies, Cookies!

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's that time again to start the holiday baking. I think someone from here may have posted this site a few years ago. It has many holiday cookie recipes. I thought I'd share if someone was baking and freezing (or baking and eating them
) this weekend.

http://www.northpole.com/Kitchen/Cookbook/cat0001.asp

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Funny you should post this as I just came back from a baking run at the market. Honestly, it has been so long since I've had the time or the money to bake for Christmas that I hope I remember how
I'm using my mom's recipes for the staples: chocolate chip, peanut butter, butter creams, but I love trying new recipes. I probably went overboard on flour, sugar, etc so I am open to any new recipes!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you don't mind if I post a recipe for people to try.

Butter Cream cookies:

1 cup of butter
1/2 of sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/4 cups of flour
candied cherries (or other fruit)

cream butter and add sugar. Blend in vanilla the slowly add flour. Shape into balls and press 1/2 or 1/4 of candied fruit into each ball (depending on the size of the ball). Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes. Yields 4 dozen.

Hint: The tops will NOT get brown. You want to look for slight cracking/separating around the fruit to see if they are done.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OOOh I love cookies but never get round to baking I'm so busy, I may do one day, they sound yummy.xx

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With the way today is going, I immediately thought of the other type of cookies earlier.

I don't really bake cookies anymore. I did when I had a gas stove. This electric one must have the temp off (high) a few degrees and cooks them differently - crisping them up when they're not supposed to be.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I don't eat many cookies myself (I'm a diabetic), but I enjoy baking them at Christmas; I usually take them to work for my co-workers to simultaneously curse and thank me while they are eating them...

I made a few batches of chocolate chip ones last week for part of a gift basket I was making. Needless to say, there were just SO many that were not fit for gifts...ahem...and I hate wasting food...
Dang, they were good!

I've been cooking fudge for gifts this week. I love the Ghiardelli chocolate chips, and usually use them for the cookies and fudge. I think they do make a huge difference in the taste and texture. BTW, if you live near a Wegman's grocery store, they are on sale for $1.99 this week! That's a very good price.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
This year I probably won't get around to baking cookies till Christmas Eve, so it'll probably just be chocolate chip and oatmeal cookies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
By all means - share you recipes if you have favorites!

Too funny about the other "cookies" . I wish I could delete mine. After I eat them of course.

I wish I could make fudge. I cannot make it. After I wasted so much money trying. I finally gave up.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

I hope you don't mind if I post a recipe for people to try.

Butter Cream cookies:

1 cup of butter
1/2 of sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/4 cups of flour
candied cherries (or other fruit)

cream butter and add sugar. Blend in vanilla the slowly add flour. Shape into balls and press 1/2 or 1/4 of candied fruit into each ball (depending on the size of the ball). Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes. Yields 4 dozen.

Hint: The tops will NOT get brown. You want to look for slight cracking/separating around the fruit to see if they are done.
These sound like thumbprint cookies. You roll the ball into finely chopped nuts, poke your thumb in the middle and bake. When baked and cooled, add a 1/2 tsp or so of jelly or jab in the middle.

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Funny thing, we don't "do" cookies for Christmas?
My family, and Charlie's family too, tend to do more homeade candy than cookies? Usually peanut brittle, white chocolate macadamia nut balls, peanut butter balls, orange slice candy (melt in your mouth!), fudge, chex mix, caramel corn, ....there are more that I'm not thinking of......... guess I'd better go get the cookbook out, with Charlie working the hours that he's working this year, looks like I might need to get busy, lol!!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

Sounds like this is going to be a "crumby" thread.

Thanks for posting all these recipe ideas! I will baking some Christmas goodies this year as we'll be having it here for once. Nice to have a variety to give out.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ruthyb

If anyone wants to donate samples, I will pay the postge
x
Maybe you already have samples...sitting at your house in wrapped packages...just waiting there...until you decide to open them.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom

These sound like thumbprint cookies. You roll the ball into finely chopped nuts, poke your thumb in the middle and bake. When baked and cooled, add a 1/2 tsp or so of jelly or jab in the middle.
That's another way that's yummy. I just use the cherries because it's easier.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ruthyb

If anyone wants to donate samples, I will pay the postge
x
But I am not participating in the Secret Santa this year because of finances. Maybe one of the TC Elves can send me a few?
I promise to share them with DH. But not the girls... cookies are not good for the kitties.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just popped into this thread. Ive got a hankering for some sugar cookies..BADDDD I only have flower cookie cutters *I like the rolled cookies a little better than drop ones* I may be running to the store tonight for food coloring and some paint brushes. Id like to make the hardening 'frosting' to paint in Christmas colors on the cookies. I just dont know what its actually called or how to make it whatsoever but if I cant find the recipe for that does anyone have a good cream cheese frosting recipe they can share that I can dye Christmas colors and decorate my cookies with???

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd have to look up the hardened decorating icing, but an easy cream cheese one is 8 oz cream cheese, one stick margarine, a drop or so of vanilla, and about 2 lb of powdered sugar. mix the margarine and cream cheese together, slowly add powdered sugar to desired consistency... the stiffer it is, the less it runs. mix in a drop or so of vanilla, then whatever colors you want to use!

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just made these cookies last night, and my family loves them. They are like sugar cookies with bits of toffee mixed in. They are delicious!!

Sparkling Butter Toffee Cookies

1 \tcup sugar
3/4 \tcup Butter, softened
1 \tegg
1 \tteaspoon vanilla
2 \tcups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 \tteaspoon baking soda
1/2 \tcup English or almond toffee bits(I used heath toffee bits)
\tSugar

Heat oven to 350°F. Combine sugar, butter, egg and vanilla in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Add flour, baking powder and baking soda; reduce speed to low. Beat until well mixed. Stir in toffee bits by hand. (I use my stand mixer on the lowest setting for a few seconds to do this b/c the dough is really stiff and hard to mix by hand)

Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in sugar. Place 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten each with bottom of glass to 1 1/2-inch circles. (If glass sticks, dip glass in sugar.) (They turn out just as well if you forget to cover them in sugar and flatten with a glass lol they just aren't as flat, more puffy)

Bake for 9 to 11 minutes or until edges are just lightly browned. (DO NOT OVER BAKE.) Sprinkle with sugar while warm. Cool completely. .

TIP: English toffee bits and chips are available in the baking section of large supermarkets.

TIP: Cookies may also be flattened with a fork in a criss-cross pattern.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nurseangel

Maybe you already have samples...sitting at your house in wrapped packages...just waiting there...until you decide to open them.
Oooooh stop it, you will not make me open them!!
Even though it is sooo tempting!
x