Cooked + kitty bloom.

becka jean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I come looking for help with a homemade diet. I browsed the homemade recipe thread and will continue after to posting this. I'm not new to the raw diet however, there's so many different recipes and so much involved.. some grind, some don't, supplements.. I don't want to get into it because I'm not interested in feeding raw. I've made attempts to mix small chunks with their canned, purée it.. no bueno. I even bought a bag of the raw nuggets. Still no.

I plan to use deboned chicken thighs and pork. Together. Those are their all time favorite meats. Maybe incorporate some beef but even I don't eat that stuff. Ideally, I'd like to throw it all in the crock pot with water and let it stew or even the oven. (I've done this before when someone has an upset belly plus made bone broth. I know they need chicken hearts and beef livers. I'd throw that in, too.

I really, really also want to use a supplement so that I don't have to buy a dozen different supplements. I like kitty bloom a lot. I also want to add lysine since I've got a FHV1 carrier and a FIV+ suspected cat.

What would be my ratio of meat and hearts and liver? Then, would I use MORE supplement due to cooking? Is kitty bloom not ideal? How much would I feed them of cooked? Is it the same as raw? What about rabbit and venison? I live in the country and know a lot of hunters. Yes, I am willing to shoot a deer to feed my cats.

Sorry for the 100 questions I am just so frustrated trying to find a recipe or kibble close to what I want. Since I can't afford orijen homemade is my only option. I'm also feeding 13 cats if that helps.

Thanks!

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello! I come looking for help with a homemade diet. I browsed the homemade recipe thread and will continue after to posting this. I'm not new to the raw diet however, there's so many different recipes and so much involved.. some grind, some don't, supplements.. I don't want to get into it because I'm not interested in feeding raw. I've made attempts to mix small chunks with their canned, purée it.. no bueno. I even bought a bag of the raw nuggets. Still no.

I plan to use deboned chicken thighs and pork. Together. Those are their all time favorite meats. Maybe incorporate some beef but even I don't eat that stuff. Ideally, I'd like to throw it all in the crock pot with water and let it stew or even the oven. (I've done this before when someone has an upset belly plus made bone broth. I know they need chicken hearts and beef livers. I'd throw that in, too.

I really, really also want to use a supplement so that I don't have to buy a dozen different supplements. I like kitty bloom a lot. I also want to add lysine since I've got a FHV1 carrier and a FIV+ suspected cat.

What would be my ratio of meat and hearts and liver? Then, would I use MORE supplement due to cooking? Is kitty bloom not ideal? How much would I feed them of cooked? Is it the same as raw? What about rabbit and venison? I live in the country and know a lot of hunters. Yes, I am willing to shoot a deer to feed my cats.

Sorry for the 100 questions I am just so frustrated trying to find a recipe or kibble close to what I want. Since I can't afford orijen homemade is my only option. I'm also feeding 13 cats if that helps.

Thanks!
Hey there and welcome,

I'm really not familiar with Kitty Bloom, I'm trying to get some info on the KB site but it's not all that clear, will check it out a bit more or maybe there are other TCS members who are familiar with KB. 

Definitely you will have to use a premix supplement if you aren't buying individual supplements - that's a necessity, not a choice.

My IBD cat is also FHV.  While I don't need as much lysine as I used to (since he eats mostly raw), when I do add lysine to cooked food I do it at the point of serving the food to him - from the refrigerator (with a few drops of warm water to take off the chill of the food). 

I'm not sure about your other questions, I will defer to other TCS members with more experience. If you use a premix like e.g., U-Stew or TCFeline Plus, you will not have to add liver or heart.

Last edited:

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am posting the comparison chart for Kitty Bloom with the hope that more experienced TCS members can guide you as far as whether this supplement would be appropriate for your home made cooked recipes, it doesn't look like the third one, Kitty Bloom VM 900-3 would be b/c there isn't any taurine, however, I'm not sure about chart 1 (chart 2 is the same supplement), Kitty Bloom VM 900; the link indicates "dog bloom" but the comparison chart is for Kitty Bloom:

http://www.dogbloom.com/comparison-charts.html

Last edited: