cooked chicken bones

felinus rex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our three cats got into some cooked chicken bones on New Years eve. They scoffed the remains of two drumsticks, thigh and back-bones. The bones had been boiled into a stock 3-4 hours The cats are two years old feral we rescued from a rural neighbour. They have been raw home made fed all their lives. They are active after sixty minutes. Ought I be concerned and do more?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
You do need to keep an eye on them. There's really no way of knowing, and they could well be fine, but do watch out for any signs.. Keep them in, if they're outside cats at all.
It's probably not a time when a vet is available, but I'm wondering whether there are any steps you could take.. eg a diet that may help. I haven't had this happen so don't really know. :vibes::vibes::vibes:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are 2 types of danger with cooked bones; one is choking on them, and obviously they got past that part. The second is the bones splintering and perforating their insides. So keep an eye on them for any signs of internal distress and/or internal bleeding (tarry stools, pale gums).

But I would think the bones would be fairly soft after 3-4 hours of boiling, so hopefully splintering isn't a problem.

Keep us updated as to the end results!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

felinus rex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank You so very much for the feedback.

I fed the three of them some of their raw food mixed with an equal amount of ground flax seed. We then took some exercise up and down the stairs and around the house chasing their favourite ribbon for about 60 minutes. As siblings on about the same schedule they each passed a stool which looked fine. Now the three are resting by the wood-stove.
I will certainly continue to watch their stools and that is a good tip about their gums. I will keep you updated.
I am so happy I found this site. Happy New Year All from Minerve, Sunrisesunshinepunpkinbuttecup, Big-Eyes and us two.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

felinus rex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The three cats slept well, ate their regular breakfast, played and then pooped just fine. Their gums appear normal but I will continue to monitor their behaviour. Thanks again for the help last night. It was a great comfort. This is a wonderful scratch post we have found here and we think we will continue to visit.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
The three cats slept well, ate their regular breakfast, played and then pooped just fine. Their gums appear normal but I will continue to monitor their behaviour. Thanks again for the help last night. It was a great comfort. This is a wonderful scratch post we have found here and we think we will continue to visit.
Excellent :) Keep your eye on them for a while longer. Willowy's comment about the bones having been boiled for so long is a good one.
I'm not sure TCS has been described as a 'wonderful scratch post' before, but it's pretty true. :)