Convincing BF that microchipping isn't evil...

karikatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really hope I have this in the right section...Sorry if I don't!

I have two adorable little kittens, Armin and Ariel. I would really like to get them microchipped. Armin has a habit of waiting by the door when we are coming in. He'll then run out and the only thing that keeps him from going outside is a screen door at the bottom of the stairs (We live in the upper half of a duplex). I'm worried that one day, that screen door won't be properly closed and he'll get outside. This is exactly why I want them chipped.

My boyfriend has said absolutely no way. To be honest, he thinks it's some evil conspiracy to control the cats, or some similar nonsense.
I've tried to give him facts about it, nothing works. I was, and still kind of considering getting them chipped without him knowing.

Any advice on how to deal with this situation?

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not really sure how you should handle it, but micro-chips are a great way to find your lost pet! I am a breeder and I hope to start micro-chipping every kitten some day.
I would probley just have it done without telling him, if it were me, but that may not be the best thing for you to do. I do however suggest taking a trip to an animal shelter with him, and show him all the beautiful sweet cats that most likely got lost and their owners never found them, and tell him if they had been chipped they wouldn't be there. It may be worth a try. Mabey you can get a pamphlet from your vet on it too, mabey with yours and a vets recomondation it would convince him it is best for your kittens to be chipped.
Good luck and welcome to TCS!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the cats are yours, do it anyway. If the cats belong to both of you, it's better to convince him. If one does get out, you don't want to have to fight about the microchip then, on top of everything else.

Maybe you could both go to the vet together and talk about microchipping. Or have you considered tattooing? It might be a good compromise, and IMO sometimes the shelter doesn't have the scanner or whatever but they can see the tattoo without one.

Anyway, the concept that the chips are a conspiracy to control cats is hilarious-- I mean, "control" and "cat" don't belong in the same sentence! And what would they be doing, taking over the tuna factory? LOL! (I'm not making fun, it's just too funny!)

tnkittymom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The only thing that you can really do is give him all of the pros to microchipping. I haven't had our cats done yet, but I have 3 of our dogs are done. I like the idea of microchipping, because if they were to get loose then they could be returned to me. Our dogs rarely have their collars on due to their manes (Shelties). I hope to get the cats done soon, too, even though they are strictly indoors.

Good luck!

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Microchipping is a great idea, we had to have Neko microchipped before e could take him to Japan with us, which is a good idea considering the small fortune we spent just to transport him, we would hate it if he got lost and we couldn't find him. There are no side effects or anything, I doubt he even knows he has it.
As for a conspiracy to control cats, where on earth did he get an idea like that?

I will be getting Diego microchipped as soon as I have enough money.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had Zoey chipped. Even if Animal Control can't read the chip with their scanner, they will know one is there and get a local vet to read it for them.
It took longer to fill out the paperwork than it did to put the chip in.

TNKittyMom, have you looked at the rolled leather collars? I used them on my Old English Sheepdogs.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its not gonna control the cats, but I'm not for it for other reasons (mainly from a Biblical standpoint for the future).

I'd rather train my cats to stay away from the door so they don't run out or lock them up for a few minutes when bringing in groceries or something that would require the door being open more then a few seconds at a time.

Up to you if you want to spend the money to microchip. For me, I just won't do it

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few months ago, I answered an ad on craigslist from a woman who was frantic. She had found a kitten in her parking lot and couldn't keep her. The kitten looked like a stray; wet, muddy, greasy and skinny. I went to pick up the kitten, thinking I would find a good home for her. I had her a few days then took her to the vet for shots and spay.

This thread tells the rest of the story: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=120490

Little Lola was away from home for about 10 days. She had traveled about 8 miles, if I remember correctly, crossing some major 4 lane roads. If not for the chip, she would never have been returned (and I would not have Daphne
).

So, it is up to the two of you to make the decision. As soon as I can afford it, I will have both cats chipped.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Its not gonna control the cats, but I'm not for it for other reasons (mainly from a Biblical standpoint for the future).
The Bible says not to microchip your cats?
I'm so confused...

diego

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

The Bible says not to microchip your cats?
I'm so confused...
I don't think GK is meaning its in the bible, but more along the lines its interfering with nature. Here in Japan Buddhist vets will not neuter animals because it interferes with the course of nature.
Even though technically humans interfered by domesticating animals in the first place.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No thats not the reason - the microchip is in reference to the "mark" that will be on every person so they can't buy/sell unless you have it. To "identify" you....its the start of it. First its put in pets, next step is people.

I'm not buying into it

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of mine are microchipped. I'm for anything that increases the chances of being reunited with my cats should they escape and go missing. They have never escaped so far as I'm very careful not to leave windows open etc. but there are some situations you can't prevent, eg a burglar breaking in when I'm not home and leaving behind open windows or doors. It doesn't harm them in any way so seems a sensible precaution. Esp as some organisations over here will pts an apparent stray cat with frightening speed.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by urbantigers

I'm for anything that increases the chances of being reunited with my cats should they escape and go missing.
Demetri came chipped from the breeder as it's the law in that state, but I would have had it done myself if he didn't come with it.

KariKat, I would probably get it done anyway

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

No thats not the reason - the microchip is in reference to the "mark" that will be on every person so they can't buy/sell unless you have it. To "identify" you....its the start of it. First its put in pets, next step is people.

I'm not buying into it
I'm still confused...
Cats can't buy/sell anything anyway.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i wont get mine microchiped, for 1 i dont like the thought of putting a forgien body into my pets.
2 i have seen it being done to my sisters cat and he screamed and struggled, im not putting mine through that.
3 we took in a stray once who the rescue neutered and microchiped for free, it got infected and had to come out 2 weeks later as the antibiotics didnt help clear it up.(i know this is very rare)
but yes the benfits of having the chip is great especially if the cat does get lost/go missing or someone trying to say it is their cat (which happend to a friend of mine)

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat is chipped, as are all cats who pass through our city's shelters, and I think it's a great idea. It provides real peace of mind... it means my cat will never be put to sleep by a shelter, even if he gets out of his collar (which he does often). It also increases the chance that he'll be returned to me if he were to get out and go astray. And the proof of identity thing is nice too, since he looks like a purebred.

His chip was put in a few days before I adopted him. The site was a little swollen at first, but then it disappeared... now you can't even feel it if you try to look for it. Injecting it is no more painful than a vaccination.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is a bigger needle so it may be more painful than other injections but not too bad... It has to be a larger bore so the microchip will fit through the needle.

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had my kitty done when he was neutered. I certainly don't see anything evil about it but I sort of question how effective it is. What I mean is -- if I saw a cat roaming about my neighborhood (like several do) -- I would assume it is someone's indoor/outdoor cat. The chances of actually catching the cat and taking it somewhere to be scanned are probably slim. Also, if my cat got outside, I think he would be so terrified that he probably wouldn't let anyone near him.

I know a lot of people use collars on their cats "in case they get out." To me, a collar means "I am an indoor/outdoor cat that is owned by someone."

I think the best insurance is make your cat get a heathly fear of the outdoors. My kitty used to make a run for the door when it opened when he was little. Now he is over a year old and he gets scared when someone opens the door.

By all means, do the microchip if you can afford it. Don't know what to say about your BF because I don't understand his rationale.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

karikatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much for your input!

He believes that the microchip isn't natural, and therefore shouldn't be put in the cats. I am hoping the conspiracy theory was just a joke, but knowing how him and his father are, I doubt it.

He truly wants what's best for the cats. Maybe we can come up with a compromise where we will get them collars? Although it wouldn't guarantee a safe return home, it would be better than nothing. Like meow meow said, we are trying to get them to be afraid of the door.

I have thought about going behind his back, but I've decided it's a bad idea. We have such a great relationship and I don't want to damage the trust.

I'll have a long talk with him tonight and come up with a solution. Thank you all again, and I'll keep you updated.