Converting outdoor cat to indoor cat?

nlevi42

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has been an outdoor cat ever since he was a kitten. He's now seven years old and he's gotten himself into a lot of trouble (aka going missing for almost a week and giving me a five day long heart attack) among other mishaps outdoors. My family and I are going to be moving into a smaller house in a different neighborhood because my brother and I will be going off to college soon and our house is too big for just my parents. Unfortunately we would be moving somewhere with a lot less open space and a lot more cars. I want to convert my cat to being an indoor cat (and I've been trying to but my dad keeps letting him out!) because I think it will be a lot safer. I have a nightmare where we let him out at our new house and he tries to go back to the home he knows and gets lost. I'm very worried it'll be impossible after seven years of going outside whenever he pleases, not to mention our new house will be a LOT smaller. Does anyone have advice? Would it be cruel to keep him inside? I don't want to lose him.

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can leash train your kitty take him for walks that way he gets to go outside safely plus you bond

much closer. It's a fact cats kept indoors live longer you have no idea what your cat eats when it romps in the streets. I had a siamese get in a fight with an infected diseased cat he needed to be put down.

Being inside is a huge adjustment it means you need to spend more entertainment time with your cat more commitment. You may want to consider a friend for yours, 2 cats can entertain themselves. He may become bored or upset being left alone for any long period of time. Best to keep totally indoors for the first 2-3 weeks after a move it takes time to adjust. Catnip toys will help.

Last edited: