Converted TidyCats Breeze to use Safflower Seeds (Instructions/Photos Included)

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok so Jinkers has decided he absolutely will not use the TidyCats Breeze System for #2, no matter what. Someone else had mentioned that the SmartCat Box works similar to the Breeze but that the seed was a closer texture to regular cat litter. Since I can't use regular litter due to it triggering my asthma, we decided to give it a try.

I didn't want to replace the whole litter system, as we already HAVE the Breeze boxes, and they work the same way as the SmartCat. Also I really like the pee-pad idea instead of pouring out liquid pee, and while there were some reservoir concerns with the SmartCat, I have no such problems with the Breeze pads. But, the grid on the Breeze is too large to use seed as it falls through, so I decided to a conversion.

First, the Breeze box (I removed the tray while making the conversion).

The Seed I want to use as litter ($8 for 6lbs at Lowes, 1/2 the bag fills the box)

The Screen (Plastic Canvas, available at Hobby Lobby for $1.79/sheet)

I measured out the amount of screen I would need by placing it over the grid in the (clean) box and marked it off. I left about 3 "squares" of the grid overlap on the sides to glue down.

Then I cut out the marked section, here I am making sure it will cover the grid.

The gluing was the most difficult. I wanted to use Pro-Weld which is supposed to melt pieces of plastic together, but apparently this plastic isn't reactive. We tried SuperGlue, which held the screen down but was brittle and the connections broke off when any pressure was applied, so it would not hold up to kitties pawing on it. Eventually I used contact/household cement, which stinks to high heaven but after a good airing out smells fine now.

Finally I replaced the scatter/kick guard and filled the box with 1/2 bag of seed, which is comparable to one bag of TidyCats pellets.

Spooky was in it as soon as I put it in its usual place. The urine drained just the same as it did without the new screen. Jinkers has smelled at it but hasn't used it yet. BUT he also hasn't pooped on the floor yet either, so we will see if he takes to this.

I am going to convert my other Breeze box to seed also, once everyone starts using it and I run out of Breeze pellets, because the Seed will work out to be 1/2 the cost of the Breeze pellets. I will still have to use the Breeze pads, but the litter will be cheaper.

Thanks for looking!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Couple things about the safflower seeds. You don't want them too deep as the urine won't drain as freely and the seeds will get soggy. And the other thing, if you have a Tractor Supply they sell 20lb bags for $19.99 and 7lbs bags for $7.99.

I hope he likes the seeds. All of mine use them without problems. The seeds will track a bit but I usually just collect them up and toss them back in the closest box.