Convenia

taybey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has a respiratory  infection and was taking oral antibiotics but they were not working so my vet suggested this shot.  She got a day and a half ago.  How long will it take to clear this up? When she is sleeping she wheezes and snores so loud that I cannot sleep.  Is this the right med for her?  She is 8 years old and was born with this.  I am worried because I thought I would see results during the day.  Can anyone help me out here?  Also is there a place on the net we can go to get free advice from a real vet?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has she been checked for the herpes virus.  Often a long standing URI is due to the herpes virus which will flare and then subside.  If it's the herpes virus a supplement called L-lysine can help keep the flares down to a minimum.  http://www.entirelypets.com/cat-lysine.html   

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taybey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She had a complete physical.  She is doing better today eating and I saw her drink water just wheezes at night a lot though during sleep.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do some research on the side effects of Convenia.  I'm not a fan of the shot and none of my kitties will have it unless I give specific permission.  If the Convenia doesn't clear up this problem or it comes back, ask the vet to do the Real PRC URD test for various upper respiratory diseases (URD) and to do a culture and sensitivity test on any nasal or eye discharge.  Sounds like you're dealing with a secondary infection in your kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taybey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, but she is doing much better today.