Convenia Lethargy Funk: When Does it Stop?

mfena0720

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 3 year old male cat, Oliver, got a Convenia injection 8 days ago, and sure enough he's got the Convenia "funk" of lethargy and low appetite.

I'd like to hear from others who've had this happen with their kitties, and I'm wondering how long this might go on, in general? I'm aware that it stays in the system for 14 but traces may linger up to 65 days.

What stinks is that these side effects are the symptoms he had to begin with, so it's difficult to tell if he's still ill or if it's the Convenia.

TIA for insight:)

Emm

ETA: Doing some reading after I posted this and am NOW FREAKING out. I've found numerous accounts of anemia that kills cats within days. It starts with lethargy/not eating. Someone said administer high doses of Advita or Forti flora to counteract the convenia, and I'm planning on doing this, but I don't understand how that would help anemia. I have an appointment tomorrow to do bloodwork to check for anemia.

Last edited:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It took 2 of my kitties 10-14 days to come out of the extreme lethargy from Convenia. This is one reason why I'm not a fan of it.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ETA: Doing some reading after I posted this and am NOW FREAKING out. I've found numerous accounts of anemia that kills cats within days. It starts with lethargy/not eating. Someone said administer high doses of Advita or Forti flora to counteract the convenia, and I'm planning on doing this, but I don't understand how that would help anemia. I have an appointment tomorrow to do bloodwork to check for anemia.

FortiFlora, etc are probiotic products. I guess in theory a giant dose of "good" probiotics would maybe counteract the antibiotic properties of Convenia :dunno: Too much probiotic can throw off the gut bacteria balance and cause an upset tummy or runny poop.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mfena0720

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It took 2 of my kitties 10-14 days to come out of the extreme lethargy from Convenia. This is one reason why I'm not a fan of it.
So there is hope it goes away. We're on day 8 post-injection now.

What did you notice in particular, if you don't mind sharing some stories? I can only describe it as extreme lethargy too. Today for example, Oliver slept most of the day in a place in which he normally doesn't, and when he does emerge it seems like it takes him a long time to wake up or "get with it." His face actually looks drugged or something. During a time that he's normally active, he's sleeping or just seems uninterested. But then there are some episodes of normalcy but they don't last long.

mfena0720

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
FortiFlora, etc are probiotic products. I guess in theory a giant dose of "good" probiotics would maybe counteract the antibiotic properties of Convenia :dunno: Too much probiotic can throw off the gut bacteria balance and cause an upset tummy or runny poop.
I found more of an explanation about using probiotics (as well as apple cider vinegar) and it looks like it could help with some of the symptoms like lethargy and low appetite, but the anemia thing is a whole other story. This scares me so bad that we're going tomorrow morning for blood work just to make sure there is no anemia occurring.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
mfena0720 mfena0720 the best way I know to describe it is zombie-like. They got up to eat and potty and they looked half asleep while walking. It was pretty freaky.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Probiotics won’t treat anemia, your hunch about that is correct. Some cats are anemic because they have trouble absorbing B12 through their digestive tract, in which case a vet might recommend B12 shots to help resolve the anemia. If a cat is severely anemic they may need a blood transfusion.

Why was your cat given the convenia in the first place? What were his symptoms? I ask because if they were at all similar (lethargy, fever, just acting sick) to how he is acting now I would think it’s much more likely that the antibiotics didn’t resolve his issue, rather than this being a reaction to the antibiotics. Cats can have reactions to convenia but it’s still a rare occurrence.

mfena0720

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Why was your cat given the convenia in the first place? What were his symptoms? I ask because if they were at all similar (lethargy, fever, just acting sick) to how he is acting now I would think it’s much more likely that the antibiotics didn’t resolve his issue, rather than this being a reaction to the antibiotics. Cats can have reactions to convenia but it’s still a rare occurrence.
He had a suspected UTI so in the interim while waiting on the culture we decided to go with Convenia. The week prior a cysto draw indicated a "large" amount of bacteria so we tried Amoxicillin and he seemed to improve, but he had vomiting.

Also, the vet thinks much the same as you do, that his issue isn't fully resolved. Me being the wishful thinker, I was hoping it was just Convenia related, but that's mostly because the vet has no idea what's wrong after a battery of tests and bloodwork spanning almost 3 weeks. I'm near my wits end and broke down sobbing yesterday. I'm almost thinking to open another thread here...kick 'round some ideas that I have of what I think it is and see what others thought...and maybe I could bring something helpful to my vet. This forum has some incredibly experienced and knowledgeable members that have helped so many time and time again, so maybe it's worth a shot.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He had a suspected UTI so in the interim while waiting on the culture we decided to go with Convenia. The week prior a cysto draw indicated a "large" amount of bacteria so we tried Amoxicillin and he seemed to improve, but he had vomiting.

Also, the vet thinks much the same as you do, that his issue isn't fully resolved. Me being the wishful thinker, I was hoping it was just Convenia related, but that's mostly because the vet has no idea what's wrong after a battery of tests and bloodwork spanning almost 3 weeks. I'm near my wits end and broke down sobbing yesterday. I'm almost thinking to open another thread here...kick 'round some ideas that I have of what I think it is and see what others thought...and maybe I could bring something helpful to my vet. This forum has some incredibly experienced and knowledgeable members that have helped so many time and time again, so maybe it's worth a shot.
Ah ok, so he was having trouble peeing? And I’m guessing the bloodwork didn’t show any abnormal levels?

That is very frustrating but it does sound like you’re doing your best for him!

mfena0720

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ah ok, so he was having trouble peeing? And I’m guessing the bloodwork didn’t show any abnormal levels?

That is very frustrating but it does sound like you’re doing your best for him!
Thank you!

He has some urinary symptoms with low appetite and nausea. We're pretty much treating him for cystitis right now, even though the vet thinks it's unlikely since there was no blood in the urine and she says cystitis cats usually have no problem eating. And yes, bloodwork came back today normal, plus no chance of drug induced anemia from Convenia, so I feel a little better as far as that goes!

ericanf18

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any updates on your kitty? I’m getting very paranoid about the anemia as well. My cat has had convenia before (given April 7) and I do remember him being very sleepy as well but he was fine after that. Then Friday (May 1) they had to give it to him again due to a scab removal. They gave it with the assumption that it’s still a skin infection. I wish they would’ve just asked if he was okay to get pilled because he is. Now I’m worried that it’s too much in such a short time. Today he slept most of the day. Not lethargy as he is interacting with me and picking up his head and walking around, just so sleepy. Eating/drinking normally and everything. He did also have anesthesia so it could be that also. But I’m just so scared of the anemia possibility and wondering if it’s caught early can it be reversed.

Stephenliebsch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Stephanie my cat was givin this shot and is now extremely lethargic. Won’t eat or drink. We went to the vet this morning she gave him fluids and shot for nausea. I noticed later today hes drooling a bit, the vet doesn’t seem to be too concerned at this point. Can you please describe your expirence? Anything like mine? I’m on day 6 since his shot but he’s only be lathergic for the last two days however. I’m very worried, it’s nice to talk to someone who has experienced the same issue,

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hello Stephanie my cat was givin this shot and is now extremely lethargic. Won’t eat or drink. We went to the vet this morning she gave him fluids and shot for nausea. I noticed later today hes drooling a bit, the vet doesn’t seem to be too concerned at this point. Can you please describe your expirence? Anything like mine? I’m on day 6 since his shot but he’s only be lathergic for the last two days however. I’m very worried, it’s nice to talk to someone who has experienced the same issue,
My cats didn't have the drooling, just lethargy and decreased appetite. I ended up using plain meat baby food to get them to eat. It was very scary for me to see them so lethargic.

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's such a difficult spot to be in when our cats are sick. Vets tend to give convenia because it's "convenient" in that no pills or liquids need to be administered. While convenia was fine for one of my cats, the others had the Funk... And yes, it was almost zombie like - avoiding us, hiding some, and only getting up to eat, drink or potty. This usually lasted about two weeks in each case.
Our regular vet knows our views on the shot, and won't give it unless there are no other options. But I've made it a point to let the two emergency clinics know we do not want the default to be convenia (I voiced this at the front desk when checking in and had them note all their charts.) This was especially needed for two cats, as they have underlying medical conditions and I do not want the risk of convenia staying in their system and causing havoc. It's easy enough to stop a pill or liquid if there is a side effect or reaction.

Sending good vibes and thoughts to all the kitties here, I'm sure it will pass their system in time. But it sure is unnerving in the meantime!

Stephenliebsch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's such a difficult spot to be in when our cats are sick. Vets tend to give convenia because it's "convenient" in that no pills or liquids need to be administered. While convenia was fine for one of my cats, the others had the Funk... And yes, it was almost zombie like - avoiding us, hiding some, and only getting up to eat, drink or potty. This usually lasted about two weeks in each case.
Our regular vet knows our views on the shot, and won't give it unless there are no other options. But I've made it a point to let the two emergency clinics know we do not want the default to be convenia (I voiced this at the front desk when checking in and had them note all their charts.) This was especially needed for two cats, as they have underlying medical conditions and I do not want the risk of convenia staying in their system and causing havoc. It's easy enough to stop a pill or liquid if there is a side effect or reaction.

Sending good vibes and thoughts to all the kitties here, I'm sure it will pass their system in time. But it sure is unnerving in the meantime!
yes my boy just sleeps in one spot all day, he’s only eating a table spoon in last 3 days drank a little water. I took him in they gave him fluids. Yesterday he was shaking in sleep I woke him up his pupils got really big and his eyes jolted back and forth. It stopped a few seconds later, I called the ER they were full. So I am keeping a close eye on him. I can’t wait to have my cat back. I cried

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yes my boy just sleeps in one spot all day, he’s only eating a table spoon in last 3 days drank a little water. I took him in they gave him fluids. Yesterday he was shaking in sleep I woke him up his pupils got really big and his eyes jolted back and forth. It stopped a few seconds later, I called the ER they were full. So I am keeping a close eye on him. I can’t wait to have my cat back. I cried
I'm so sorry, sending you hugs!
Nico was on an extremely heavy antibiotic once, and his system did not like it. He had to take it for a horrible UTI that would not go away. He was very sleepy, then all of a sudden he fell off the couch and his eyes were going side to side - it totally freaked me out! I can understand how that was scary for you. I hope he's ok too, you're doing the best you can by keeping an eye on him for now. I pray it passes and it gets out of his system sooner rather than later. ❤❤❤

Stephenliebsch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry, sending you hugs!
Nico was on an extremely heavy antibiotic once, and his system did not like it. He had to take it for a horrible UTI that would not go away. He was very sleepy, then all of a sudden he fell off the couch and his eyes were going side to side - it totally freaked me out! I can understand how that was scary for you. I hope he's ok too, you're doing the best you can by keeping an eye on him for now. I pray it passes and it gets out of his system sooner rather than later. ❤❤❤
Thank you for the reassurance. I feel like he’s very slowly improving. I hope your kitty is doing well. :)