Convenia Injection side effects?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vikinggirl34

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok - A quick update on my little Janie -- so it's been about 2 weeks and I've been seeing some improvement.  I've seen her yawn and both eyes close.   I'm seeing signs of life back in the right side of her face.  It's been one month since the Convenia injection.  Her bottom is all healed up and I'm very happy about that.  Now if she continues to make progress with this "pal                             0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000sy" I'll be very pleased.

<I wanted to leave all the accidental "0s" in between the word "palsy" - that was Janie's contribution to this post...she had to hop up and sit on the keyboard>

Last edited:

vikinggirl34

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another quick update - it's now been 62 days since the Convenia injection. At this point the medication should be completely out of her system. Her "palsy" is pretty much gone. The pics are of her yesterday and today. One getting some lovin' and the other napping in her (my) chair :p Her right eye closes fully now with no problem :hyper:

janie.jpg 20170423_200221.jpg

LouieLove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello - My sweet kitty Louie just received a Convenia shot 4 days ago. He's got the same side effects as Janie - head twitching and one eye barely opens. He's eating and drinking - just lethargic one minute and then on high alert the next. Totally not himself. Does anyone know if sub Q fluids would help? Or anything? I hesitate to take him back to the same vet, but I'm out of town currently and can't get in to see my normal hometown vet. I did call my hometown vet and told them about all the postings of the side effects and they advised to take him in right away - but that they didn't think it was due to the shot. Love the denial. Not. Ugh - this is so frustrating. Taking him in asap. Would love to hear about any treatment or anything that was done to try to help. He doesn't eat wet food, but does drink lots of water.

vikinggirl34

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello _ I'm very sorry to hear your kitty is having the same problems...makes my heart roll over :(
Janie did not receive any treatment for her side effects as the doctor didn't think it was the Convenia injection. She said to bring her in for blood work...which I didn't. I still really think it was the injection. Janie's side effects finally did remit after about 2 months from when she received the injection. They went away slowly. I can't hurt to take him into the vet to have him checked out. I also had reported the side effects to the pharmaceutical company that makes Convenia -- Zoetis. Zoetis, the largest global animal health company | Zoetis

LouieLove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for responding. I was really hoping to hear from you. Yes, I've not been able to sleep or barely function myself. It's like he's been possessed by another cat. Even his posture is different.
I'm going to take him in for blood work - and ask to give sub q fluids - just to be sure there's not something else going on. I hate going back to the same vet, but but I'm stuck since I'm out of town and others are booked.
Thank you again. I'm so grateful to you and this site.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
:hellocat: L LouieLove , I'm here for you and Louie too, so keep us updated, please. :grouphug:

I hope that he gets over his symptoms quickly. :alright:

And, remember that vets might wear white coats (well, green here) but that doesn't make them gods, so question everything and trust your instinct where your little Louie is concerned.

vikinggirl34 vikinggirl34 , I'm very pleased to know that Janie's better, and thank you for replying to LouieLove. :wave2:

:hangin:

vikinggirl34

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Brian007 - Yes, Janie is quite well now! She is as healthy as ever apart from her recurrent occasional ear infections. She is active, playful and healthy now. I'm grateful she got through that rough patch last Feb/Mar. :woohoo:

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
I acquired Parker, who is 8 month's old today, in July, and his first 6 weeks or so with me were a nightmare of worry about his severely sickly health. It turned out that he'd brought ear mites, fleas, conjunctivitis, and an extremely aggressive tapeworm with him from his birth home. It took my taking him to three different vet practices and seeing 5 different actual vets before one paid heed to my concerns and gave me a tapeworm tablet!
He's been right as rain ever since. :bliss:

vikinggirl34

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear Parker is doing well! Sounds like he had a rough start but a lot of love and care from you to make him well! :catlove:

LouieLove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Vikinggirl34 and Brian007 -thank you both for caring so much. You have really helped my heart. :)

Just got back from the vet - of course they are in complete denial about the meds. They did do sub q fluids so we're hoping it flushes out a little faster. His poor little head is still twitching. I guess now it's just a wait and see. I will keep you updated.

Again - thank you so much for helping and caring. I'm very grateful. :catlove:

vikinggirl34

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
LouieLove - glad to help! I pray that he's feeling better very very soon! :grouphug:

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 8 month cat was given convenia today as a preventative measure because he has a viral infection. I didn’t know what it was at the time it was given because it wasn’t explained to me and I feel dumb for not questioning further. Now that I’m reading up on it I’m terrified of my cat having a reaction and I’m also angry because the vet could have easily given me oral antibiotics to administer. I’ve done it numerous times in the past. She didn’t even present it as an option.

For those that saw adverse reactions in their cats, about how long after injection did they appear?

vikinggirl34

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It took about 11 days before Janie had "neurological" issues...A bit of twitching, right eye not closing fully. The first few days after the injection, she slept more than usual but wasn't sickly. I believe most cats don't have an issue with Convenia...just some unlucky few. Just keep a close eye on your kitty. If you read the entire post I started in Feb, I do go on to say that Janie did recover...I just was biting my nails the whole time :headshake:

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It took about 11 days before Janie had "neurological" issues...A bit of twitching, right eye not closing fully. The first few days after the injection, she slept more than usual but wasn't sickly. I believe most cats don't have an issue with Convenia...just some unlucky few. Just keep a close eye on your kitty. If you read the entire post I started in Feb, I do go on to say that Janie did recover...I just was biting my nails the whole time :headshake:
I’m glad your kitty recovered. I really hope nothing happens with my boy. He’s acting fine, just still sick from the virus we went in to the vet for. He has had penicillin before so I’m hoping that means he’s likely not allergic to convenia. It just sucks that he got sick over the holidays and our regular vet was away. It’s so hard to find vets that are trustworthy unfortunately.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
I did some digging back in February into Convenia as I'd read a number of threads/posts regarding its use and side-effects in cats. In the UK, we have a culture of GPs and vets dishing out antibiotics willynilly as so-called preventatives, and for complaints not caused by microbial infection or specific virus. Convenia is (should be) prescribed only when the microbe in question has been found to be susceptible to its effectiveness. I was disconcerted to find as a 'novel' (new) antibiotic it seems to be the 'go-to' antibiotic in the US because of its "convenience" and long action. Personally, I disagree with the overprescribing of antibiotics for people and animals worldwide, and feel very uncomfortable at any that have a reportedly long action with risk. (This is a decades long medical argument that I advise all to read up on as it's too long [and boring] for me to explain here.)

As I'm neither a medic or a vet, I cannot, in fairness, recommend nor discourage the use of any medically prescribed drug. However, as a lifelong cat guardian and member of the human race, I can suggest that everyone questions everything, double checks medicines, and keeps a diary of symptoms. When I wrote down my retrospective dairy of Parker's initial sickliness, just before I went to the 5th vet, I was surprised at just how many symptoms/vet visits he'd had in such a short space of time, and that his diagnosis seemed blatantly clear to my layperson's eyes.

But, as vikinggirl says, Convenia, on the whole, doesn't appear to have an adverse reaction in the majority of cats, so fingers crossed that your boy is amongst them, Neo_23 Neo_23 . I'm ever so grateful to vikinggirl34 vikinggirl34 to have opened up her thread like this, as we're all rooting for L LouieLove 's Louie to recover quickly. It's a great to comfort to know that worried furparents have this site to turn to for support when things go wrong and to learn methods of how to right many things.

:crossfingers:

:vibes::grouphug:

Judi-1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I realize this is an old thread, but a friend of mine had a very recent experience with Convenia.

His 4-year old female cat apparently had a urinary tract infection [UTI]; she was otherwise a healthy cat. The cat was taken to a vet [not her regular vet], who as a first-line approach gave her an injection of Convenia.

Within a couple of hours the cat had become "a zombie"—extremely lethargic and not eating or drinking. The cat's health rapidly deteriorated and two days later she had to be euthanized. The severe reaction was clearly caused by the Convenia injection.

I understand there are many far less risky options to deal with a UTI in a cat, and Convenia appears in any event to be touted primarily for 'skin infections'. Plus Convenia stays in the body for a long time, as opposed to other non-injectable drugs that the body can get rid of quickly.