Contradictory Language

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Sombra doesn't like to be brushed but she is resigned to it knowing that she will get rewarded with treats immediately after being brushed. She even jumps on to the cushion on top of my desk where brushing takes place every morning when I ask her to do so.

What intrigues me is that during the brushing session she does both: waggle non-stop her tail letting me know she is not happy about it and lick (kiss)my inactive hand. When I stop brushing her she runs to the kitchen and sits in front of the cabinet where the treats are kept.

I wonder if it is common for a cat to express contradictory feelings simultaneously?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The licking of your inactive hand is sometimes a reaction a cat can have to over-stimulation and/or self-consoling. Since you know she doesn't like brushings - and she might not like them because they over-stimulate her - so she consoles herself with the licking.

She is one smart cat to know that if she 'endures' the brushing she has a reward coming!!

cheeseburger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When both of my cats are stressed, they like to groom me. And the grooming seems to put one of them into almost a trance-like state, where you can do anything to him (clip nails, brush, pet) that he would ordinarily hate. He also does it at the vet. It seems to be a way that he self-soothes to get through the stressful moment. Your cat may be similar.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many thanks, FeebysOwner and cheeseburger for your interesting/informative replies. I cannot say that I like the thought that I am overstimulating Sombra to the point of troubling her. In my ignorance, I was hoping that Sombra was simultaneously protesting against the brushing while looking forward to the treats awaiting her.
My reasons for brushing her in spite of her displeasure are of course to stop her hair "flying" all over the place and also to avoid her getting hairballs in her tummy which she has never done.

My late cat Cucumella loved being brushed. She would turn around to make sure I didn't miss any corner.:dizzycat:

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hey, as long as she doesn't start running from you, you're good doing how/what you are doing.

Feeby, did the same thing as Cucumella when she was younger. And, she still grooms her front legs (not me, I am always behind her) when I brush her. Not worried about it until she starts running from me!!

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last edited:

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Golondrina, Juniper also hates being brushed! Like you, I was used to a cat who loooooooved it and would come running over purring whenever I picked up the brush, so it's been a confusing change.

I tried a regular brush and a grooming glove, and Juniper simply runs away from both. She isn't particularly food-motivated, and we've never gotten in a food-for-cooperation groove, so treats didn't help.

What finally did help was this self-grooming gadget, which she loves:

We put it on a corner wall near the kitchen and she comes and brushes herself with it while I'm making dinner. Possibly worth a try for anyone whose cat hates 'regular' brushing. I'm glad bribes have worked with Sombra!

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you She's a witch for the very interesting info on "the function of allogrooming in domestic cats." I have read the link and if I understand it right it refers mainly to situations where only cats are involved.
Be it as it may I have never known Sombra to manifest the slightest aggression to anyone or in any situation. Before resigning herself to being brushed she did try to run away wiggling and kicking but was never in any way aggressive. She can be mischievous and disobedient but never aggressive. I have been fortunate in that respect because my late Cucumella was also very gentle and loving.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Etarre thanks for your reply. I didn't know there was such a thing as a self-grooming gadget. I'm going to find out if that exists over here.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When both of my cats are stressed, they like to groom me. And the grooming seems to put one of them into almost a trance-like state, where you can do anything to him (clip nails, brush, pet) that he would ordinarily hate. He also does it at the vet. It seems to be a way that he self-soothes to get through the stressful moment. Your cat may be similar.
Thank you cheeseburger, that is a tremendously interesting and welcome info. I so much rather think of Sombra in a "trance-like state" than painfully overstimulated. :) because I will continue to brush her every morning.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Over-stimulation doesn't mean painful in any way - think of it as easily excitable. Feeby is in no way pained when she reacts to the grooming!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No, of course not, I didn't really mean physical pain but being somewhat stressed.
Maybe I am reading Feeby wrong, but she doesn't seemed stressed at all to me. It's just part of how Feeby is - how she is 'wired'. She is actually a very happy cat! I hope you find that to be the case with Sombra - that it is just part of her 'wiring'. :blush:

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I believe Sombra to be a happy kitten and I don't doubt that so is Feeby. It was a question of understanding what seemed to be Sombra's contradictory reactions at a given moment.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, I was hoping it was the same for Sombra as it seems to be for Feeby. If not, I sure hope you find the cause for hers! It is helpful whenever we can figure out one more facet of our cats - even if it is only tiny ones! And, it always seems there are so, so many more we never figure out!:lovecat2:

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Somebody, not a TCS member, suggested to me that perhaps cats can experience "ambivalence" i.e. the simultaneous existence of two opposed and conflicting attitudes, emotions, etc just like humans do. Why not?

And now I will bid you all good night, sleep tight. I'm going to join Sombra already waiting for me. :sleepycat:

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I absolutely think that cats can experience ambivalence. When we first got Juniper and she was timid and scared of everything and of us, she clearly wanted to accept pets, attention, and love from us, but her fear would hold her back. Sometimes she'd even move toward us, and then change direction mid-step and dart away. You could see the struggle in her little facial expressions. When she did overcome her fear at first, it was usually in tiny bursts of confidence, and then she'd seem to come back to herself and have to run away.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Juniper is an interesting case of feline ambivalence Etarre. Thank you for bringing it up. Kittens surely keep all of us on our toes trying to figure out the "whys" and "hows" of their enigmatic attitudes. We don't discover their different personalities until we have lived with them under the same roof. :headscratch::ruminating::confused2:

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would seem that Sombra has read my comments about her behaviour in this thread :flail: Today for the first time in almost a year she has not waggled her tail SHOWING HER DISPLEASURE while being brushed, she even kissed (licked) my right hand doing the brushing. What do you think about THAT? :confused2: