Continued diarrhea even after vet visit

BellasMumma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 3 year old's first vet visit, she had a cold and was prescribed antibiotics. Prior to her antibiotics, she had regular stool. During and after she started her prescription, she had diarrhea. I took her to the vet AGAIN. They prescribed her another medicine. NOT an antibiotic. She also had tapeworms/fleas. It's been a couple of days, and still has soft stool. They said by now she should be better. What should I do? I feed her Meow mix wet and dry food, and also give her a few treats.

liger

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Slightly off topic but please get her off that meow mix dry food!

I'm not a total food ingredient nazi, but the 1st few ingredients in that are corn, corn gluten meal, chicken by products & soybean meal. just BAD!

at least get her a dry food that's only slightly more expensive but healthier, like purina cat chow naturals, which still had corn as the 2nd ingredient but at least has chicken as the 1st!

as for the diarrhea a lot of people have great success mixing a little pumpkin puree in with their wet food, it usually helps to settle cats stomachs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BellasMumma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Antibiotics are known to cause diarrhea. They kill good gut bacteria with the bad.

Saccharomyces boulardii should help build that microbiome back and stop the diarrhea in the meantime.

My Cat Has Diarrhea - What Do I Do?
Oh I read this exact article, and have this saved on my Amazon list. If worse comes to worse in these next couple of days, I will order it.

BellasMumma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Slightly off topic but please get her off that meow mix dry food!

I'm not a total food ingredient nazi, but the 1st few ingredients in that are corn, corn gluten meal, chicken by products & soybean meal. just BAD!

at least get her a dry food that's only slightly more expensive but healthier, like purina cat chow naturals, which still had corn as the 2nd ingredient but at least has chicken as the 1st!

as for the diarrhea a lot of people have great success mixing a little pumpkin puree in with their wet food, it usually helps to settle cats stomachs.
Oh :/ she's my first cat ever so I was not even sure what to buy. But wouldn't that cause her to have diarrhea as well from switching the food?

liger

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh :/ she's my first cat ever so I was not even sure what to buy. But wouldn't that cause her to have diarrhea as well from switching the food?
Not always but sometimes cats do get upset stomachs over sudden drastic food changes! The rule of thumb is to mix some of the new food in with their current and over time increase the new and decrease the old so in the end they barley notice!

as for your cats recent bout of diarrhea it could also be because she's just upset and has her stomach in a knot over going to the vet! I've had so many cats over the years get diarrhea after vet visits and always blamed it on the car ride :D usually resolves itself within a day or so.

BellasMumma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not always but sometimes cats do get upset stomachs over sudden drastic food changes! The rule of thumb is to mix some of the new food in with their current and over time increase the new and decrease the old so in the end they barley notice!

as for your cats recent bout of diarrhea it could also be because she's just upset and has her stomach in a knot over going to the vet! I've had so many cats over the years get diarrhea after vet visits and always blamed it on the car ride :D usually resolves itself within a day or so.
Oh great thank you I will be doing that!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I read this exact article, and have this saved on my Amazon list. If worse comes to worse in these next couple of days, I will order it.
Order it. Or find it at a local pharmacy/health food store. Probably in the refrigerated probiotics section even though s boulardii doesn’t require refrigeration. Many cats like the taste. And if your cat won’t eat the stuff, you can use it yourself should you ever need it.