Construction next door. Advice please?

brandy rowe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I live in a 1 bedroom condo in a 4 story brownstone in the city, which I purchased 2 years ago. I have a lovely sweet kitty and a green cheek conure. I found out after purchasing my condo that they are building a 5 story apartment building next door with a garage underneath. Literally 100 feet from my wall! I thought I had another year before they started construction, but I just got wind that they are starting this week. They just rolled in a jackhammer tractor yesterday. Now I am freaking out. I live a block from another construction site and my bed would shake every time they jackhammered. I am so worried how the noise and shaking will affect my animals for the next two months. They are used to city noise, sirens, garbage trucks, etc, but I can't even bear the thoughts of how traumatized my poor cat will be with the jackhammer next door.

Does anyone have any experiences that they can share? Will my poor kitty get used to the noise and shaking? Do I need to find temporary housing?

Thanks for any help.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My two neighbors, one next door and the other right in front across the street, are doing house repairs. These past 2 months, my kitties and I have to bear with a lot of hammering, grinding machines and sudden crashes of things falling. In the beginning my cats would ran and hide when they heard the noise but after 3 or so days they got used to it. Perhaps yours will too. But giving them some natural calming remedies will also help. http://www.holisticpetinfo.com/Calming-Aids_c_212.html

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recommend getting a couple of Feliway diffusers as soon as possible. I think they'll likely get used to it after a few days. It's basically Pavlovian conditioning. After the loud noise is paired with nothing happening enough, they'll associate nothing happening with the loud noise and all will be fine (but still annoying).

berbdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well the only advice that I can give, is to leave all the doors to the rooms open, so that if your cats need to run, let them run. If you stop them they will think that they are stuck in the room with the danger and you dont want that >.<  Best of luck!