Constipation?

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not sure if this should be here or in nutrition but here it goes.
My cat keeps having poo stick to his bottom and then to get it off drags his backside on the floor. I know the vet will just say to give him Miralax but I don't like doing that. Is there anything else I can do.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Is your baby a long-haired cat? Sometimes the food can cause poop to be more sticky, so along with a hygiene trim (where the fur under his tail and along his backside is trimmed) you might consider a diet addition, or change.

Is he pooping as frequently as he usually does, and not straining more than typically? If so, I'm not sure this is constipation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! Is your baby a long-haired cat? Sometimes the food can cause poop to be more sticky, so along with a hygiene trim (where the fur under his tail and along his backside is trimmed) you might consider a diet addition, or change.

Is he pooping as frequently as he usually does, and not straining more than typically? If so, I'm not sure this is constipation.
He isn't long hair, I have tired switching his wet food from friskies to fancy feast but its still happening. For dry food he gets Purina sensitive stomach stuff.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is going to be a weird question but have you noticed any of your hair mixed in with his poo in the litter box? I ask because I had a similar experience with a former cat who would eat hair off the floor. When he pooped, the hair would be mixed in making almost like a necklace effect. He would poop but because of the hair, it would just dangle from his rear. He would either scoot or run quickly to "knock" it off.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is going to be a weird question but have you noticed any of your hair mixed in with his poo in the litter box? I ask because I had a similar experience with a former cat who would eat hair off the floor. When he pooped, the hair would be mixed in making almost like a necklace effect. He would poop but because of the hair, it would just dangle from his rear. He would either scoot or run quickly to "knock" it off.
I haven't noticed any in the pop I have picked up but I will try to keep an eye out next time.