Constipation?

labyrinth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just typed this all out then accidentally hit back on my browser, so here goes again!

I have two cats. Max is 15 or 16 years old, and Ninja is 2 1/2 years old. I've been finding random vomit that looks like digested kibble around the house (they are fed Taste of the Wild). If I give them wet food they'll eat a few bites then leave it to dry out and go to waste, so wet food is given more as a treat than part of their normal diets.

About a week ago I noticed one of the poops in the litter boxes when I scooped was smaller and looked kind of like pebbles. A day or two ago the second poop wasn't there at all (there are usually two every time I scoop since there are two cats).

Today I caught Max up on our bed getting into position (he NEVER messes outside of the box). He started pawing at the spot he was sitting on and by the time I got there to get him off of the bed and he ran off into my daughters room. I checked the comforter and there was nothing there, but it was obvious he was trying. I went to follow him and found some vomit in the hallway in front of her door. I cleaned that up, then went into her room to check for more. What I found was a small pile of poop in her closet. When I cleaned that up it had some mucous on it (there was no blood and the mucous was clear). Max has lost a small amount of weight recently, but the loss has stopped and he is still a healthy size. Personality wise he's exactly the same. I'm thinking it's just constipation, but the mucous kind of threw me.

Of course I'll take him to the vet if I need to, but would rather not if this is just constipation and I can give him something at home to take care of it (plus he pees all over himself whenever he has to ride in the car
).

I would love to hear ideas on how to solve constipation, and if anyone has any experience with whether the mucous is serious enough to warrant a vet visit.

Thanks!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First of all, you DO need to take him to the vet to rule out anything medical, like a blockage or something like that. That's one of the biggest signs that's something's going on is sudden onset of inappropriate use of the litter box or not using when normally the cat does.

If it's "just" constipation, you can add plain canned pumpkin to their wet food, about 1 teaspoon twice a day. When my Callie was nearing the end of her life and battle with chronic renal failure (constipation is very common in CRF cats), the vet recommended using plain Miralax, 1/4 t a day or 2x a day if that didn't work.

Stephanie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

labyrinth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, thanks. I'll call the vet in the morning to get him in. Hopefully it's not, but after googling I suspect it may be CRF. I guess I will find out soon.