Constipation? Or Something Else?

kayliekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

My approximately 8-9 year old cat China has been acting very weird around the litterbox since yesterday evening. She goes a lot - up to a few times/hour when she is not napping - but almost nothing comes out. This morning I finally saw some pee, but I don't think she has pooped in 24h+. Otherwise, she seems happy, drank a bit of water, ate maybe just a tiny bit, but she never eats much, so it's hard to tell.

First I thought UTI, but I don't see any blood, and with the lack of poop I'm worried she might have a blockage? Any advice is appreciated! I can take her to the emergency vet today, but I'd rather wait for my regular vet tomorrow.

Thanks in advance!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If its a UTI or a blockage i would get her checked out today, if at all possible. Any UTI or blockage can be very dangerous, not to mention painful for cats. If she is in the box and nothing is happening i would say there is a problem. I would not take the lack of blood as a sign that she can wait for the vet, in my opinion. Hope she is better soon!

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It does sound like a UTI. There isn’t always blood in the urine. I had a dog with the same symptoms. She would try to pee, but nothing come out and she wouldn’t poop because pushing would make her pee, and it hurt to pee. We took her to the vet and she had a UTI. Take your cat in asap, because holding urine in can cause kidney failure.

On the other hand, when my brother was a child, there was a time he wouldn’t pee and screamed when he did. He said it burned. We ended up figuring out it was because he was constipated. The intestines were pushing up against the urethra. Not sure if this is possible in cats, but if it were the case, you should also take him in for the same reason that it could cause kidney failure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kayliekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She peed fine and pooped a little today. She still has been “going” a lot, but not as often as last night. We’re watching her and take her tomorrow if she still acts weird.

kayliekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since she threw up overnight and is still acting as if she urgently has to go and then can’t, we take her to the vet today. I keep you posted.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: Oh no - please let your vet's office know that this is urgent as vomiting can be a sign of blockage. Depending on who is doing the appointment booking, it may well be that "the loudest wheel gets the grease" and you want treatment sooner than later. And if diagnostics are recommended, & your vet offers ultrasound, you might save money in the long run by doing an ultrasound which reveals more than an x-ray.

kayliekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She didn’t have a blockage, but a urinalysis showed urobilogen; therefore they did blood work, but her liver is fine. Basically, we still don’t know, it could be stress - only that there were no changes in her environment. She got a bit of pain medicine, and has been behaving normally since she got home. I will keep a close eye on her.
Thank you all for the advice and support!