Constipation on Wet Food and Calcium in the Food as Possible Culprit?

mysterylover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all!

I have three kitties, siblings who will be 12 this summer (2 boys and a girl). A few months ago, the female suddenly started rejecting the food they had been on for years (Lotus Just Juicy and Lotus Pate). They have not eaten dry food in like 10 years because one of the males has possible IBS or IBD (never formally diagnosed but all bouts of diarrhea corrected with change in diet). I suspect that the female rejected the food, especially the pates, because of possible slight changes in the formula due to COVID and supply issues. In other words, I suspect they might have possible increased the peas in the formula to either save money or due to protein shortages, but not so much so that they had to change the label. For a while, I kept trying other foods to please my female and then would try to add the Lotus pate back in. Every time I did this, she got severe gastric distress and diarrhea. I am guessing she became intolerant to the peas, and after moving away from that food, the boys also developed diarrhea with even a tiny bite of the thankspate added back in.

I hate food trials, especially with three cats. The female (Junie) seems to only want foods that are aromatic now, and the addition of "natural flavors" listed as an ingredient seems to get her to eat willingly. Over the years, I have avoided all gums but the agar agar because the boy with the IBS/IBD had diarrhea with guar gum, xanthan gum. With the current trials, I have found that some of the foods containing gums or a combination of them cause constipation (BFF Play Line has three and caused constipation in one of my cats and mushy, smelling stool in two on one trial and then constipation in all three with a second trial). Trials of other foods with no gums (RAWZ pates, Ziwipeak, Tiki Cat After Dark, and now maybe PureVita) have all resulted in constipation (so bad that giving a bite of the Lotus pate was often my last resort to getting them to go. I am assuming this is a lack of fiber issue or being caused by the heavy bone content in foods like Ziwi and RAWZ at least. Other foods, like the BFF and even the Merrick Backcountry and Just Juicy contain calcium carbonate or calcium sulfate.

Has anyone else had issues with foods that have calcium carbonate or calcium sulfate high on the list? I know you guys are not vets, but unless all three of my cats have developed the same disease state at exactly the same time (or the Lotus pate caused the disease), I am fairly certain this is food related. I tried added pumpkin, and this caused two of the cats to poop small, runny, smelly puddles (after pooping small hard (like rocks when tapped with the scoop), so I am guessing that is liquid going around a lot of hard stool. I keep thinking how I get constipated severely when I take TUMS (calcium carbonate).

I am currently feeding a mix of Lotus Just Juicy Pork or Just Juicy Venison mixed with some PureVita I got yesterday - just to get back to a food with agar agar that had "natural flavors" in it, as the female will eat it. I fed a half-and-half mix last night and this morning, and so far, no poop in the box - pushing two days for nearly all three cats. Both of these foods contain calcium carbonate, by the way. The Nutrisource WITH grains does not, but since they have also been on grain-free wet food for like 10 years, I hesitate to try it - but desperate times..... I said I would never feed gaur gum again, but they were all so constipated that I started adding the Merrick pouches to the Lotus Just Juicy - when it got up to over half with them all struggling to go small, hard stools every couple of days, I opted to stop the Merrick (again, it too has the calcium carbonate and trying the Chicken and Trout flavor that has no calcium carbonate did not produce good poops, so I am now thinking the stool needs to be softened - thinking of trying MiraLAX at this point for fear they may all end up with enemas.)

If the MiraLAX works, I am them stumped as to what food to feed that will not cause issues with the IBS/IBD kitty or be rejected by his sister. Due to our current living situation (where the dog has run of the house part of the time and the cats the other due to the dog being too aggressive with the cats at this point) feeding them all separately would be hard and time consuming (though I love them and would do it, if it helped).

I apologize for the long post. I would love input as to whether you think this is a food issue, a moisture issue, a fiber issue or what. I have seriously considered going out and buying kibble, if I thought adding a few as treats would help - but do worry that the female might get hooked and refuse to eat wet food, since she is being picky (and I think I read once that the natural flavor she seems into is basically like the stuff they spray on kibble).

Thank you for your time!!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Too much calcium can cause constipation in cats. Raw feeder stick with 10% bone / calcium as a rule because too much can cause constipation. Raw feeders can dilute calcium heavy grinds with boneless meat but I don't think the same applies to commercial canned and dry foods.

Digestive enzymes, pre- and probiotics may be helfpul. You can give those a try before Miralax. One of my cats used to need Miralax every other day to help the poop come out but since taking digestive enzymes she's been pooping just fine and doesn't need Miralax.

Astragal14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
a food issue, a moisture issue, a fiber issue or what
I'm wondering if it is something else entirely. It sounds like this began as an acute problem for all three cats around the same time, and has persisted despite diet changes. Have there been any other changes recently, even if they seem unrelated to feline constipation? And have their urination habits changed at all, even a little?

My first thought is if they're dehydrated because something has affected their water supply. For example, I live in an old building with old plumbing that has occasional problems. At times I've had to give my cats bottled water because of the taste of our tap water (even with our filter), and other times I've had to scrub their bowls with a mixture of dish soap and baking soda because of residue (dish soap and a regular sponge weren't enough).

You mentioned keeping your cats and dog separated. Could there have been anything stressful happening before the constipation started? Anything that could keep them from using either their water bowls or litter boxes as frequently?

possible slight changes in the formula due to COVID and supply issues... possible increased the peas in the formula to either save money or due to protein shortages, but not so much so that they had to change the label
Pet food manufacturers can use old can labels for up to a year following an ingredient change but the correct ingredients are required to be available somewhere, usually the website is a good place to look. But as you mentioned, some recipes may not need to change their labels/ingredient list - I know some manufacturers have changed the sourcing of their ingredients but not the recipe. So it's still chicken, but it's different chicken and it completely changes how the food looks and tastes. And it's possible the moisture content has changed and maybe your cats aren't drinking enough to make up for the difference. That could hopefully be corrected by mixing water into each of their meals.

It's possible this could be managed with just a few changes, whether it's checking the water, managing stress, and/or using supplements like Miralax, fiber or digestive enzymes. I'd try those routes before adding kibble or foods with grains (especially if your girl could get hooked - I've been there before).

But I'd also recommend checking with your vet if this isn't resolved soon since they can provide guidance as to what they likely need - and you can ask if there is anything they recommend trying at home first and hopefully avoiding an appointment. Our vet is familiar with my cats' diet and recommends Miralax if constipation has continued for 48 hours; your vet can make specific recommendations based on their knowledge of your cats' health and diet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mysterylover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your replies and ideas! Right now, I am trying mixing some foods to try to get a mix of fibers (Rawz pate with the Lotus pate). I know too much of the Lotus produces soft, smelly poop, so I am hoping that, by adding just a little into the mix it will soften the stool. I have never loved Lotus pate with the peas and knowing that was part of the already low protein in that food, but the Just Juicy being half the meal and higher protein felt like a decent compromise. Of course, it is no question that all food manufacturers have had challenges, not just pet food, due to shortages in ingredients and in labor due to COVID. Our family has seen some quality control issues in people food, brands we have trusted for years or decades. It is too bad I cannot explain it to my cats, though.

When this all started, I figured I would find another food that worked. It has been a much bigger challenge than I thought!

One of the boys pooped better yesterday. If the other two do not go decently today, I may double the Lotus pate - or consider a pinch of Miralax. I feel like this might be a case of too little fiber or not enough of the right kind.

I may indeed have to try to discuss with the vet but at least wanted to try some food changes and to check here for ideas and suggestions of the cause to have some info to share if I went there.

I appreciate your thoughts!!