constipation in cats...

sarahcunny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi

my puss-cat reg decided to stop eating a week ago and after 2 trips to the vets we've finally managed to get him to start eating again... if a little tentatively... he's been on a 5 day course of antibiotics which finished yesterday but i just wanted to ask whether antibiotics can cause constipation in cats? it's just i don't think he's had a bowel movement in 3 days... any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

sarah

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sarah, you and Reggie are having a time of it right now, aren't you?!

Thinking about it, the constipation could also be a factor in Reg's lack of appetite!

Ofen though, as with humans, antibiotics can cause constipation and needs to be dealt with! The dried catnip can also provide fibre to help with a bowel movement.

I would, however, recommend speaking with your vet about the issue - due to Reggie's age!

I'm sure they'll be able to give you some excellent advice about your next step!

Sending many, many Healthy and Healing }}}VIBES{{{ Reggie's way and lot of
to you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahcunny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sar

Sarah, you and Reggie are having a time of it right now, aren't you?!

Thinking about it, the constipation could also be a factor in Reg's lack of appetite!

Ofen though, as with humans, antibiotics can cause constipation and needs to be dealt with! The dried catnip can also provide fibre to help with a bowel movement.

I would, however, recommend speaking with your vet about the issue - due to Reggie's age!

I'm sure they'll be able to give you some excellent advice about your next step!

Sending many, many Healthy and Healing }}}VIBES{{{ Reggie's way and lot of
to you!
thanks very much sar... again

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My young cat has been this route several times due to what is believed to be chronic pancreatitis. Each time he was given fluids and antibiotics. I don't know if it was the not eating or the antibiotics that caused it. Usually he came out of it on his own but the last time they finally gave him a baby enema. I couldn't stay in the room to watch that one. Unfortunately with this cycle of digestive problems whatever the reason and whatever started it constipation is common. I know it also has to be uncomfortable and perpetuates the whole cycle.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dori has had a problem with constipation a few times. What always works for us is giving her canned pumpkin, the same stuff you use to make pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving. I give her about 2 tablespoons and that seems to work, but I continue to mix a teaspoon in with her wet food for a few mornings after the initial dose just to be sure she has it all worked out.

I would recommend making a call to your vets office to make them aware of the constipation just to be safe.

opilot

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Diablo (old) has had many bouts. I have given fluids sub q and feed him a mix of roasted chicken with mashed pumpkin and 1/4 of a teaspoon of
olive oil ... this cured his problem, when coupled with me "walking" him -
getting him outside to do his biz. Since he has arthritis, some kidney
and possible liver issues, the diet seems to help, but the exercise is also good.

He has had kitty enemas too. Oh, and accupunture REALLY helped. It stimulated his nerves and made him "go".