Constipation in 10 week kitten

Beth.jones03

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,
I’ve just found this site and hoped I might be able to get some advice? I’ve got a gorgeous ginger 10 week old kitten who came to me at 8 weeks. He started off with loose stools when he arrived (most likely due to stress and change in food). The past 4-5 days he has not been passing stool as often and it is hard. I also noticed his little bum was very swollen and he was obviously in pain near the area when trying to clean him (he’s not grooming well just yet!).
His behaviour is normal kitten! Plays and runs around and then sleeps, there’s been no change.
So I took him to the vets on Monday as I was worried about prolapse. He’s had an enema with some result, started on gastro food, and we’ve commenced oral laxatives.
I’m a bit of a worrier and I feel for the poor guys, he’s also not pooing in his litter tray and tracking the crap through the house!
Anyone had similar experience, was it alright in the end and does anyone have an extra advice??
Thank you!!!

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is he getting enough fluids? The loose stools were, as you said, probably a result of a change in foods, but what did you change from and what did you change to? Was he eating wet food and did you change to dry. Dry food can result in constipation, particularly if they aren't drinking. At 10 weeks, he may not be drinking much. 10 weeks is actually too soon to be away from his mama, so that's why he hasn't learned how to property groom himself yet. You can try cleaning him up with a damp warm cloth, then apply a dab of vaseline or coconut oil to his little bum. .

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Add some water into wet food with a little bit of plain canned pumpkin. Also feed him 2-3 servings of wet kitten food a day.