Constipation and megacolon

awag86

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I'm new here on this site and I just had a general question, or an opinion, about a product someone recommended to me.

I have a 12 y/o, female spayed, DSH cat who has always had bowel problems. Usually just once a year during the big hairball season in spring. She had no problems for about 4 years until recently. She's constipated 4 times now, once a month starting in May. My vet (and my boss) has now said she most likely has the beginnings of megacolon. She's had X-rays and all that. I can't afford an ultrasound at this time to diagnose it 100%, so he recommended motility drugs like miralax. She's already on lactulose and Colase (when I can get it in her), eats mostly can food. She won't take the miralax well. I've tried to mix it in all kinds of good stuff. She's too smart :)

Someone, a client of ours, said she used to give her can "pedia-lax" which is basically oral docusate (the ingredient in Colase). Has anyone had any experience with it? I don't generally take too much advice from clients with OTC stuff but seeing as pills are difficult, I'm willing to try anything. Thanks for taking the time to read the long thread! I appreciate any input!!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you mixing the miralax with water before adding it to her wet food? That is what you have to do. You cannot add dry miralax to food. 

I would not do any of the OTC remedies which that person suggested to you. I would never give docusate to any animal, unless it was ordered by a Vet....

Your boss is your cat's Vet, you work for him.. ask him what his opinion is about it. 

We cannot prescribe or give Veterinarian advice, we can only give you our opinions..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

awag86

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wouldn't ever give anything unless I spoke to my vet. And I wouldn't ask anyone to prescribe me anything, I promise you that. I actually did not know you had to mix it with water first. I'll defintely try that!

All I wanted was an opinion :) This whole megacolon thing is brand new to me. Thanks for the reply!!