constipation and colonoscopy

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you can't get pumpkin where you are, how about squash?

ronit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow ! I have great news !!

He just pooped, with a little bit of my help, i had to squeeze a little bit down there to pull the first one, then the others followed. apparently it was too wide or maybe going other direction beside the little way out, for what appeared to me down there, not a nice position for him or me, sorry for the description, but maybe it can help other cats, just a little help down there when trying to go...
The syrup that i got today is called Hepadog: Sorbitol, lysine, extracts of 5 plants (KinkÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]liba, Cynara, Orthosiphon, Rosmarino, Boldo)
Well. I wish with all my heart that all constipated kitties will be free of that pain and discomfort ! In general, I wish all kitties in the world will be healty and strong ! !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

typix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pix is at the vet right now getting an enema. She is being put under sedation to get the procedure done, and might have to stay overnight if the vet doesn't get it all. The vet is also going to take blood for allergy tests.

She also told me that the surgeon who would do the colonoscopy doesn't think it would be very definitive, because the camera wouldn't get far enough up to see everything, whereas surgery through the belly would be able to take tissue samples of the colon and small intestines, as well as see if there are any other abnormalities with the colon. Both vets agree that this would be more definitive and offer a diagnosis.

I'm hoping the allergy tests show something, so that we can avoid surgery for now, and focus on fixing her diet. If her diet is causing all of this, then it seems like we just need to find her the right combinations of foods.

I still have questions for the vet and will likely ask her ears off when I call later to see how Pix is doing. So much information and so many options.......

ronit, I hope your kitty feels better, soon, too. I know how terrible it is to watch them try to go with no results. My vet is kind of rural, too, so the colonoscopy and ultrasounds have to be done by a different hospital.

ronit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Typix !
I wish Pix to get better soon ! and that the vet will manage to take it all so your kitty can be with you overnight..

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If the specialty vet is recommending surgery before colonoscopy, I'm surprised. You want to try the less-invasive test first, before doing surgery.

typix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, we seem to be putting the breaks on surgery talk for today. She's getting the enema, and will have to stay overnight.
She's also getting allergy tests, so I am hoping that the results show something that will help us to determine what type of diet she needs, and what types to avoid.

I have read that for chronically constipated cats, a low fiber diet is better.The less stool being made, the less to get bound up, right?

Unless of course, the constipation is caused by the colitis (or vice-versa), in which case, I guess I'm back to square one, not knowing what to do.

But hopefully she'll get some relief and be on the road to recovery and we can figure out what to do.

typix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Got some strange news from the vet tonight. They sedated Pix and gave her the enema. However, what they found was that she didn't have hardly any stool inside her. She was filled with mucous. The amount of stool in her was about as big as a fingernail. The rest of it was mucous and towards the top of her colon, a gelatin like substance. The vet said she had never seen anything like that before.

Some of the results of the bloodwork were very strange too. She mentioned many different 'levels' of things that contradicted some of the symptoms she was having. The vet also said her urine was very strong becuse she was not peeing. But yet, she's not dehydrated. She also has swollen lymph nodes.

The bad news is that it could be FIP or cancer.
If there's any good news at all, is that she could still have allergies, but the vet suggests first getting a biopsy of her colon and intestines, so she can test for everything.

This is just so devistating and I feel horrible that she has to go through this. I just pray that she is okay.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there the possiblity of a kink or blockage somewhere in the intestines? Though that might show up easily..

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope both your Cats feel better. My Poor Coco screams sometimes because she gets Constipated. I tried to get her to eat more Canned food but she prefers the dry. she does drink enough water. I am using lax'aire.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by typix

This is just so devistating and I feel horrible that she has to go through this. I just pray that she is okay.
I'm so sorry your going through all of this. What ever decisions you make please listen to your gut instinct. My vet was insisting on exploritory surgeory & biopsy for Jordan. Something inside me said not to do it. For him I was right. I can't tell you it would be right or wrong for your cat, I'm just saying listen to your heart and your head and you will make the right decision. I'll be praying for you. It is so hard when they are so sick. I truly hope that it is not FIP or cancer.