Constipated kitty

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well as some of you may know my cat has CRF. Part of the CRF is that she becomes constipated due to excessive urination. She already gets subQ fluids every other day, but today she was having a hard time with her bowel movement. Maybe she always does & I just don't happen to be awake or around for it. At any rate today she was going in her litter box straining to have her bowel movement (I know it wasn't that she had to pee, because she had just done that) & then after awhile she got out & threw up. I gave her some stool softener & then had to leave for school, I stoped back after my class to check on her & she had, had a BM & I palpated her belly & her colon area was empty, so I'm glad to report that she was doing much better, but my question is has anyone else experienced a cat vomiting when it was constipated? (I just have to say until my cat was diagnosed with CRF I never imagined I would know so much about her BM's)

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I had a similiar experience with my cat Snowball last week, here's a link to my thread for additional information. http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...threadid=14261 Snowball has kidney problems also, he was found to be in the extremely early stages of kidney disease in the fall of 200l. Fortunately, a strict diet of K/D(sp?) has kept the disease under control. I hope your kitty continues to do better!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lori,
thanks for posting the link. I'm glad to hear your kitty is doing Ok now. My cat has been constipated before, but not to the point of throwing up. I'm afraid that it means her kidneys are probably getting worse, her values had gotten better in August, but then when I took her in November they had gotten a little worse & she was border line enemic (sp?). Oh I'm not ready to face this yet.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a kitty that did this a few years ago. Turned out he had to have surgery because he was blocked. He had some yucky stuff in his tummy that didn't digest. Not only would he vomit, he was constipated and he growled the minute he saw food in front of him. He's fine now, thank god.