Constipated Cat

tina_windy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has been conspiated I took him to the vet on Thursday they did an x ray and blood work. X ray showed very consipated blood work was very good. They gave him enema and sub q fluids. He passed pretty big poops over night. I took him back Friday morning for a re check and they did another x ray and looked like things were moving. He got another enema Friday too and passed a small one. Well he is still straning to go in the litter box. I will attach the x-rays. He is just getting his appetite back so is that why he can't go yet? I've been giving him 1/4 tsp of miralax 3 times a day. He is drinking, eating and peeing. Anything else I can do?

Attachments

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If he is still attempting to go and straining, then he’s probably not clear yet. What food are you feeding him? What did the vet say was the reason he got constipated in the first place?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tina_windy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If he is still attempting to go and straining, then he’s probably not clear yet. What food are you feeding him? What did the vet say was the reason he got constipated in the first place?
They say dehydration. He has been drinking a lot more in the last two days so I'm happy to see that. I did just clean his butt they had poop around the whole of his butt so I'm wondering if that had anything to do with it.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Best way to be sure he's getting enough moisture is by eating canned. If he will only eat dry add churu or tiki sticks and mix dry with wet slowly decreasing the dry.

tina_windy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He has been eating wet food. My vet called in lactulose. Will that losesn what he has in there

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did they do a urinalysis? I'm wondering if the strain is from a urinary issue as well. He could have been holding his pop because it hurt to go to the litter.

When does the bloodwork come back?

There's not much that can be done with Miralax except wait and let it work. Are you going to go back to the vet again?

If he's pooped a LOT, and not eaten much, he may have gotten it all out and now the Miralax can cause some bloating. Can you try just twice a day for Miralax mixed into his food and see if that helps him to eat more?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He has been eating wet food. My vet called in lactulose. Will that losesn what he has in there
Be sure to stop Miralax while giving lactulose if you choose that path. I don't think they can be given at the same time.

There is also a risk of dehydration with lactulose. But he may need the softener to get out what's there before moving back to Miralax. Do you know how to do the pinch test?

Also to ensure, you are FULLY dissolving the Miralax in water before giving it? (I'm asking because I saw this not happening on Reddit).

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
If it continues consider getting blood work done. My cat had a stool stuck in her and had high white blood count. She was on meds for 2 weeks.

tina_windy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If it continues consider getting blood work done. My cat had a stool stuck in her and had high white blood count. She was on meds for 2 weeks.
He had blood work done everything looked good. What did they do with the stool stuck in her? I'm trying lactulose

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully the lactulose will work. It would be interesting to know the cause and how it can be prevented.

tina_windy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did your kitty have big poops?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
catfooddb.com
That website will list foods and give nutritional info. Some are very low in fiber,some are not
Instinct is high in fiber but expensive
I feed my cats weruva mostly which is low in fiber but constipation has never been an issue.

tina_windy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks I will look into that. He is passing gas and farting but still straning :/