Constantly trying to get outside - cave or hold my ground?

aqualoon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Cooper was adopted and the only info they had on him is that he was a stray that came in at a young age.  Usually during spring/fall I leave the sliding glass door open to my deck (deck is on the 2nd story of the house) so my dogs and both my cats can go outside during the day when I'm at work and sun bathe.  Cooper was starting to slide between the railings onto the gutters and then jump down onto the ground.  He stayed around the house and when I got home from work sometimes I would see him laying out and about - he's an odd cat and would come when called if he was done being outside.  On the days I didn't see him when I got home from work he would start moewing by my bedroom window around 1-3am which would freak my dogs out.

I even went as far as getting chicken wire and putting a double row of that on the railing but he still found a way to get around that to get jump down on the gutter and then onto the ground.  From the top of the rail to the ground is too far of a jump but not from the gutter to the ground as I live on a hill and how it is setup the end of the gutter comes rather close to the ground.

It is finally summer here and I have a Window AC unit - the problem is that he is trying to get out the window where the AC unit is installed and he keeps trying to push out one of the sides to get out.  I'm afraid that he is going to injure himself in his attempts to get out while I'm at work.  So I have been confining him to the bottom level while I'm not at home.

I don't like the idea of an outside cat for various reasons - I wish he would stay on the deck like my other cat Bailey does but he doesn't.  He hates being confined but I don't know what else to do.

Should I just suck it up and come to terms that Cooper is an inside/outside cat?  Any other ideas - I rent so I can't really take the gutter off nor would I want to as it does serve a purpose other then a cat ladder. 

I should also note that Cooper also gets back up on the deck at times the same way he gets down.  Just during the summer I don't want him to get out and then try to get back inside through the window that the AC unit is in.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats just can't be made into indoor cats. But, my Silly lived outside for the first 5 years that I had her (she escaped from a hoarder that lived close) and once I brought her in, she has been an indoor cat for the last 8 years.

I think that you should get a couple of pieces of wood (plywood would be fine) and jam them into the sides - where the pullouts are- to stop him from getting out.

Last edited:

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would for sure prevent him from getting outside. We have a window ac but it is secured in very well with duck tape- could you secure the ac in better?

You can also build a secure cat enclosure which would be safer. If you google cat enclosure or cat fence you will see a bunch of different options.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aqualoon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Went home for lunch (as I always do) and Cooper has escaped.  I'll go to the hardware store this weekend and really board it up.

Cooper is a hunter and constantly brings me things like chipmunks and squirrels - fun and exciting stuff.  I know I"ll find him laying in the middle of the driveway when I get home with that look of 'let me inside I'm hungry'.