Constantly tired...medical problem??? (need some inuput!)

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
there are many medical reason as to why. and to many to get into here.
next time you see your doctor talk to them about explain what you told us.
but really from what you have told us here and in pm with me. I think you tend to over do things.Such as take on to much at once.

but i would talk to you doc. HUG.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm on my way offline, so I haven't read all the replies -- let me just say: yes, I'm tired all the time, too, no matter how much sleep I get (and my patterns are a lot like yours). The reason in my case is sleep apnea, which I cannot afford to treat... though if I can keep losing weight, it might improve on its own. (If you have sleep apnea, Colin will almost certainly have noticed you hesitating between breaths in your sleep, and maybe snoring a little.)

There are some heart problems that can cause fatigue, too -- like Mitral Valve Prolapse, which I also have. And of course, there are countless other possibilities... poor nutrition, a lowgrade chronic infection...who knows.

Please don't start your exercise program until you've gotten a solid diagnosis and the doctor has said it's all right! It's possible that there's some kind of condition that exercise could aggravate, so you should take it easy until you know what's up.

I'm not surprised you're tired, though -- you're such a dynamo! I get worn out just reading about your days!

I'm glad you're getting checked out. Please take good care of yourself, m'dear.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

there are many medical reason as to why. and to many to get into here.
next time you see your doctor talk to them about explain what you told us.
but really from what you have told us here and in pm with me. I think you tend to over do things.Such as take on to much at once.

but i would talk to you doc. HUG.
you're right bruce. i think i'm going to just start keeping a little journal between now and when i go to the doctor so hopefully that will help. i definitely take on more than i should though- i agree there. i did tell the shelter i'd be taking a brief break from fostering after Fancy and Norris get homes though so hopefully that will help a bit
(my family and other thing i have no control over have also been big stressers lately as well- so i think a little light exercise will help reduce that a bit)

Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I'm on my way offline, so I haven't read all the replies -- let me just say: yes, I'm tired all the time, too, no matter how much sleep I get (and my patterns are a lot like yours). The reason in my case is sleep apnea, which I cannot afford to treat... though if I can keep losing weight, it might improve on its own. (If you have sleep apnea, Colin will almost certainly have noticed you hesitating between breaths in your sleep, and maybe snoring a little.)

There are some heart problems that can cause fatigue, too -- like Mitral Valve Prolapse, which I also have. And of course, there are countless other possibilities... poor nutrition, a lowgrade chronic infection...who knows.

Please don't start your exercise program until you've gotten a solid diagnosis and the doctor has said it's all right! It's possible that there's some kind of condition that exercise could aggravate, so you should take it easy until you know what's up.

I'm not surprised you're tired, though -- you're such a dynamo! I get worn out just reading about your days!

I'm glad you're getting checked out. Please take good care of yourself, m'dear.
thanks for all the help hon and to everyone else who has responded

i'm saving this thread so colin can read through it when he gets off work and see what he thinks too. Also i don't have any other heart conditions other than a rapid heart beat (i had a ton of tests done by my cardiologist 2 yrs ago when they were ruling out heart issues before my ent could diagnose me with vertigo (i have aweful vertigo but am very fortunate mine is managable with medication!)

I definitely take on a lot -i've always been that way -taking on a ton of things at once but i might scale back a bit just until i get into the doctor and have a talk. it'd probably be for the best. Also at my last doctors appointment a while back we worked out a good exercise routine for me and discussed what i can and can not do so i've been cleared to exercise and know what i'm able to do when i get my new membership

(haha it's just a matter of making myself go to the gym
)

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nikki, I hope that you are able to find out what is wrong with you....and that it is an easy cure.

pekoe & nigel

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm going through the exact same thing you are, so I do have a few suggestions, and a lot of sympathy.

I am hypothyroid (and don't think my dr. is treating it very effectively...), which I believe is a big part of why I'm exhausted all the time. I know you said that you've had your thyroid levels tested and that they're okay, but a normal thyroid level is a fairly large range. So you can be within the standard "normal" range, and still be hypothyroid for your body. In my case, I got my thyroid tested several times, and they all came back normal before one test finally showed low thyroid activity. I firmly believe that I was hypothyroid all along, it just wasn't extreme enough to be out of the normal range.

My only other thought is if any other medications you're taking could be making you more tired. I recently switched my depression medication to see if it would help any, and found I do have *slightly* more energy now. I assume with the conditions you've listed you're taking some medications, so I would make sure that nothing is making you tired as a side effect, especially if you've recently changed prescriptions or doses. Also, it's good to look into any possible reactions your prescriptions can have with each other. I know no doctor/pharmacist told me that two of my medications shouldn't be taken at the same time, so I was left to discover that on my own...

I do hope that you figure out what's going on. Just a word of caution though: don't be discouraged if the doctors aren't particularly helpful. I know in my case I had to go to the doctor a good 3-4 times complaining about being exhausted, and he only started to help me when I brought my mother in with me to insist that it really was a problem. It sounds like you've got a good start though, with the ideas presented in this thread. It's always a good idea to be prepared before you go to the doctor. Don't be afraid (like I always am
) to insist that you know there's a problem, and to present ideas about what you want investigated. Good luck!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
one more thought [can't remember if it's been mentioned] do you take a b-complex everyday? b-12 in particular is an energizer. all the B's are good, & it's pretty much impossible to overdose on them [like you can on A] because you basically pee out any excess [bright yellow fluorescent pee!] after my weightloss surgery, i am extremely diligent about my vitamin regimen... & should be more diligent about my protein supplements, but i've been slipping. my surgery causes malasorbtion, so you wouldn't necessarily want to take as much as i do, but the people on my WLS board can really tell a difference when they don't take their B supplements. just a thought...

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry, I cant read through all these posts at the moment so I dont know if this has been suggested, if it as then just ignore this lol.

One reason you could be tired all the time is because of what you eat. Do you eat bad? If you start eating more healthy you SHOULD feel more energenic and awake, and overall better. I'd try to eat more healthy foods before I start thinking that its cronic fatigue syndrome.

Also, do you take vitamins? I take this great multivitamin, its a chocolate chew! Its from Viactiv (for women by women!), you could try that.

It could be something really simple. Almost all the problems people face today, all can be cured and controlled by what foods we eat, its been proven. So try to eat healthier!

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to throw something into the mix. My sister has been going through a similar thing - extreme fatigue, sleeping 16 hours at a time etc. Turns out her pituitary gland isn't producing enough ACTH (ask doctor to ask for cortisol level to be checked when you get blood done). Her ACTH should have been 500 and hers was 32. The treatment is straight forward and the change was pretty quick.

Just a thought....thyroid, iron levels should also be checked.

hope you start feeling better.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just an experience for whatever it is worth

I had a lot of fatigue awhile back; it was really interfering with life and started to worry me. It coincided with the stress of a new job with longer hours than I was used to and other life events that were good events, just too many at one time, it was overwhelming. I was really happy with where my life was, just tired all the time and dragging though my days.
I went to the doctor, had extensive tests and blood work, all the numbers came back fine.

I did some independent research and started to up the exercise program I had to more cardio, took a multi-vitamin, and stayed away from most bad foods, I never ate much meat and don't have a sweet tooth but I did like chips, fried foods, and some sodas, so I pretty much cut all of those out.

I tried to eat high fiber foods and ate plenty of whole wheat carbs, I just stayed away from refined sugars, corn syrup, and ate lots of fruits and veggies for snacks. Instead of relying on caffeine to help me make it through the day as I was previously doing I drank a lot of water with fresh lemon or lime, I brought it to work in a cold huge cup with lots of ice frozen the night before, it was something to sip on through out the day. I also prepared fresh snacks to take to work, like strawberries, apples, walnuts, home made trial mix (I brought extra for sharing too with co-workers).

Frequent mediation can help too, like long walks on nice days, a yoga class, or even kickboxing ( I never tried this, but it sounds fun!).

Also, it helped me adjust to my new work schedule and all the stuff that was going on around me at the time, it didn't happen overnight, but all my energy did return back to normal. I still keep it up to this day, it is easy and has just become a way of life.

Hope you feel better soon!! Hugs to you!

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not tired all the time, but I can easilly sleep for 15 hours at a time. I never thought of this as a problem. I wouldnt exactly say I have alot of energy either, because im sooooooooo inactive lol.