Constantly Meowing!!!!

melissah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think I have two issues going on!

Our cat, who is 3 this spring is attached to my daughter. We got him as a 1 year old that had not been neutered. We adopted him and the very same day the owner brought him straight from the vet to us. He has attached himself to her and follows her everywhere. If he hears her get up in the middle of the night he sits at her bedroom door and meows. When she leaves for school, he'll stand on the bar and watch her leave then cry for her. She makes a move from one room of the house to the next, he's right on her heels. She recently went away for a week (first time ever) and cried the first few days and ran around looking for her. He'll walk up to her and meow right in her face. Anyone have a cat light this? I have never seen such dog type behavior.

The other thing is I think he's also caught wind of the neighbors cat across the street. They have a loose un neutered male. God knows why! I think our cat sees it from the bar sometimes and then he will run all over the house meowing. He's tried pawing at the bottom of the door to get out. He is 100% indoor and not allowed outside. One morning my husband left the house at 4AM and he ran out and no one seen him leave. We didn't find him until early afternoon and he was hiding under wood planks on the side of the house scared out of his mind. But he still meows when he gets the urge to go outside and even bolted out the door a few times only to run to the cement and roll, then hide under the truck.I've thought about training him in a harness but still up in the air abut that.

The meowing can drive you crazy, Then other times he will just go into my bedroom or daughers and sleep all day...at least until she comes home from school then he becomes the little stalker again.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe your cat is suffering from separation anxiety. I have read good things about the Feliway diffuser product.

If that fails, you may find that a furry friend your kitty can bond with an always be around may occupy more of his attention.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

I believe your cat is suffering from separation anxiety. I have read good things about the Feliway diffuser product.

If that fails, you may find that a furry friend your kitty can bond with an always be around may occupy more of his attention.
Precisely what I was going to say Ducman69. My male Snowshoe has a bit of separation anxiety at times and he has plenty of other animals to occupy his time. It's not bad but he does sit by the back door meowing when I leave. After a couple of minutes he goes on to play with one of the other cats or dogs. And I've used Feliway for several years and it works. At least for me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melissah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for the input. I didn't realize cats can have seperation anxiety. We do have a second cat and both came together. I guess what it boils down to is he is very attached to my daughter. Thanks again!

zenia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is kind of like that. If I talk to him, he meows back. If he is in my bedroom and the door is shut but he hears me, he meows. When I get back from work he circles me, meowing a lot (like this, but usually more vocal). If I get up and go to the bathroom, he follows me and sits outside the door until he can follow me back to my room. If I go to the kitchen to cook, he is always underfoot, meowing.

I think it is adorable. XD

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he's not been neutered, now's the time to do that, too. That might help him not want to get out, especially if the cat outside is a female in heat.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The separation anxiety totally makes sense to me!

My cat Mooch can be overbearing like that. She always wants to be on me if I am sitting down; but especially on the couch! Sometimes Noodles is looking for attention and I have to get up to give it to her! It took most of my pregnancy for Mooch to learn that she couldn't sit on my belly. When she was smaller she would sit on my chest. But she's a big cat (15lb) so having her up there as she got bigger was not so cute anymore! Eventually she accepted just laying up against my bump. Now still if I lay down on the couch she is right there in my face. She is quite vocal too. It's flattering yet drives me a little nuts sometimes.