Constant Vomiting

dianev66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One more thing if you haven't done it already.  I would do a thyroid test.  Check T3, T4 and T5 if at all possible.  We don't hear much about T5 and there are only very few labs that are able to run this test.  One is Hemopet which is Dr. Jean Dodd.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not sure immediately changing you cat's diet in mid stream is the way to go but not being a vet I'm not sure.  It would seem like the right thing to do but again, I just don't know.  My senior cat, Hoot is now developing the same issues you have described above.  Almost exactly except for one detail and that is the enormous hair balls she's puking up all of a sudden.  I tried the pumpkin routine and she won't touch it.  She's been to the vet 3 times this past week.  I have complete faith in my vet.  He's up on the current nutrition and he is heavily involved in dog and cat rescue groups.  So I trust him.  He also indicated allergy testing may not be all that accurate.  I'm giving her this stuff called Laxaide (I think that is how it is spelled) the vet gave me and it really is helping her.  It's expensive.  About $17 for a small tube of it.  I put it on her paws and she licks it off.  Next week we go on the maintenance with this stuff and see if it works.  So far, it seems to be really working.  I did ask the vet about a dietary change or a raw diet for her and he said not right now.  He wants to try to see if we can control this and do more testing before making that kind of a decision.  Just FWIW.  
Mike, sorry I seem to have missed this. An x-ray was done, to rule out any masses? :cross: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mike, I'm also very concerned......And just wondering, what has been done to check Hoot for intestinal inflammation and other possible problems? (Many times there are no answers to such problems in blood work results.) 

Has your vet done a complete chemistry profile and CBC to start with? 

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mike, I'm also very concerned......And just wondering, what has been done to check Hoot for intestinal inflammation and other possible problems? (Many times there are no answers to such problems in blood work results.) 
:yeah: Sorry, I should have mentioned it. Lazlo seemed to have a hairball problem for months. Blood work was fine. Even an x-ray revealed nothing at first. X-ray in January - clean. X-ray in July: "massive" tumor in his stomach. I would keep a close (or closer?) eye on her insides with more diagnostics, more frequently. Cancer doesn't show up in blood work until it's causing anemia, and then it's rather advanced. :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

tonim68

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just a quick update. So far after vet visits and lots of money spent we still have no clue what the heck is wrong with poor Jake. All his tests came out great and there doesn't seem to be a blockage. His "episodes" vary... some days he's good. Others, well, let's just say, thank God for the Bissel Spot Bot. I have found two wet foods he tolerates well and am keeping him away from poultry. Might be an allergy. The vet discussed exploratory surgery but we're going to hold off on that for a bit. So... right now... Jake is holding his own. And his brother Elwood is helping me keep an eye on him.

Thank you every one for your excellent advice and wonderful support. This is a great forum and I'm glad to be a small part of it.

:peace and love:

-Toni

princessesme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear he is doing a little better! I was in your spot a few months ago trying to find out what was wrong with Naku and am glad we have found a diet that works for him. :)

I might have missed it in some of the posts but is he on just a wet diet or raw diet now?

Some of the foods we are feeding for wet are Nature's Variety (all flavors except poultry), Weruva Steak Frites, Merrick Cowboy Cookout, and various seafood only recipes from Weruva or California Naturals (only once a week or less)

texasgirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Toni,

I thought I was the only one with a cat that has this problem! I have a 12 year old cat that has been throwing up at least once every other day for the past 3 years.  We took her (Chloe) off commercial food 2 years ago.  She could not keep any processed foods down - even the very expensive special canned cat food ordered from the Veterinarian that is designed specifically for cats with digestion issues.  My cat Chloe was abandoned in the neighborhood and was about 2 years old when we took her in.  From what we have seen her eat, our guess is that she lived with a bachelor that eight take out a lot.  The strange thing is that she can handle very spicy food.  We don't feed her this because we do not think it is good for her. Although; ironically enough it does not make her sick!

Let me tell you what worked for me for awhile - that is until about a week ago!  I have been making homemade food for all my pets.  It is much cheaper than buying pet food and much healthier.  Here are some recipes:

Fresh Chicken (Boiled with lots of Broth)

Fresh Spinach

Oatmeal, Rice or Lentils (pick one and vary for each batch)

I boil the chicken in lots of water.  Once cooked, I separate out the chicken and set aside.  I cook either oatmeal (regular not instant), rice or lentils in the broth.  I then finely crumble or shred the chicken into small pieces, add in some of the oatmeal (or rice or lentils).  I stir this up so that there are equal portions of chicken and oatmeal (or rice or lentils).  I then chop up some fresh spinach and stir it in the mixture.  I refrigerate the food and label the date cooked.  Reserve any extra broth and add at time of serving.  If there is no extra broth, add in a little water to the mixture at time of serving.  

If your cat likes Salmon or Tuna,  alter this with the Chicken.  I would use fresh fish and not canned.

I have also made fresh chicken liver pate'.  I boil the chicken livers.  Place In a blender or food processor.  I also add in some fresh spinach to help in digestion (not too much or the mixture will turn green).  Please be sure and check to see if this is agreeable with your pet after feeding.  It may cause diarrhea in some cats! 

As I mentioned, until recently, this worked very well.  My cat has just begun throwing everything up since the past 2 days.  She was also examined several times by the vet.  The vet has not found anything wrong.  I am taking her in on Monday for a CVC to check for infection.  She has had her Senior blood panel done just 2 months ago.  Today, I am buying fresh red meat (no red dye) to see if she can keep it down.  I am very worried as she is a tall cat and has lost a lot of weight.  I like the raw food idea but need to research it further.  

Best of Luck to you!  I feel your pain. 

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
T texasgirl From what you have mentioned above, the diet you are feeding is not nutritionally complete. I do not see a calcium source. Liver needs to be fed in proper proportion to the rest of the diet. Please check out the stickied threads at the top of the Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food forum on how to do this properly.

texasgirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Her is an update on Chloe.  I just wanted to pass this on.  We just switched Chloe to a raw food diet out of desperation.  She had been throwing up anything that is cooked - immediately after we fed her.  We started her on the raw meat four days ago.  Believe it or not, she has not thrown up once!!  We gave her fresh fish, fresh red meat and will try raw egg next.  I have ordered some vitamin supplements from Wysong's brand of Raw Diet foods.  We will see how this works.  She went to the vet yesterday for a checkup and blood-work. I was afraid she was dehydrated.  The good news is that she weighs exactly the same as she did 7 months ago and was not dehydrated - despite the constant throwing up of water, food and mucous.  However; prior to her illness, she weighted 3 lbs more( which is pretty significant since it is 1/3 of her weight.)

The vet diagnosed her with Irritable Bowl Disorder based on her latest bout of loose and bloody stools.  Chloe was prescribed a steroid to help the inflammation.  I have not yet started her on it as she is doing so well with the raw food diet. Her eyes are bright and shiny again!  Just need to feed her more frequently with smaller meals to get her weight up. We are awaiting blood and other test results just to make sure there is nothing else going on with her.  

So happy to have found this forum!