Constant travel - sitter or boarding?

wishingwell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My new role at work requires me to travel almost weekly - I will be leaving Monday mornings, coming back Thursday evenings. I have a sitter coming in once a day on Mon and Thurs, twice a day on Tues and Wed.

I feel terrible about leaving my cat four days a week, but I pretty much don't have a choice on the travelling. I will likely have to keep doing this for the next several months.

Would it be better to just board my cat while I am gone? I am worried about her being left alone for most of the day, but I thought it might be better because at least she is in familiar territory. She absolutely detests car rides, so I didn't want to subject her to weekly trips to and from the boarding facility.

My cat is a very mellow adult cat - she sleeps most of the day away. She hardly ever wants to play - maybe only for a few minutes each day. So I don't know if she will be bored if I'm not around - I guess I am just more worried that she will think I am abandoning her weekly. I've only had her for a few months, but I was working from home then, so she is used to having me around all the time.

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi! Personally, I think having a sitter come over is much less stressful on my cats. They can sleep in their normal places, use their normal litter boxes, etc. They're going to be away from me either way, but at least they're in familiar territory as opposed to a cage in the vet's office. I have a very good sitter that's a vet tech at the local office, so it gives me piece of mind that she can give my cats medications if needed, and also recognize any problems that pop up. Generally, the only times that I have chosen boarding over a sitter is when one of my cats is sick. In those instances, I'll trade off the comfort of being at home for the peace of mind of having a watchful caregiver who is monitoring the situation.

2bcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've found it a tough call but sitter esp with the twice a day I think is probably best. Boarding would have more human attention, sometimes, but staying at home keeps far more of the cat's routine.

If you get a chance consider getting a webcam or few to put around your home. This is not to spy on the sitter (although you can) but to peek in on kitty when you have a moment here and there. Most can be connected to via smartphone app or just a web browser from anywhere. Always makes me feel better that I can check. Depending upon the size of the area the cat has access to you may need several cams to really ensure you can see her at a given moment. Or place fewer cams at strategic spots and have them set up to capture and email you still photos upon sensing motion.