Constant meowing

yulkasilverfox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our new to the house cat Merlin meows 24/7. He doesn't meow when we give him wet food, a crunchy toy and attention. It starts around 5 am in the morning, he runs around and meows until I closed the door to the bedroom letting him know that I'm not ready to give him anything. My husband feeds him before he is off to work and I wake a few hours later, I get only a few minutes of peace till Merlin finds me in the kitchen and it begins again - hi, hooooman, hi, hi, hi, hi. I sort of understand that his cries vary from excitement to boredom, to loneliness. He is easily distracted with toys but it occupies him for about 30 min or less until he begins to seek us out (mostly me). Merlin stays up during the entire day playing, following around, tripping me over. He usually goes to sleep when we go to bed around 11-12. He never lies down unless no one is around and there is no activity in the house. So, I wonder if it's just his nature or it's because he is new to this environment. And how do we deal with this situation correctly? It's been 5 says since his arrival. I'm kind of ready to pull my hair out 😂

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Five days is not very long for a cat to adjust to his new environment. You're actually lucky Merlin isn't hiding and will come out to play. Cats are individuals just like us and there's no set rule as to the length of time it will take for him to get acquainted with your husband and you, your routine or your house. How old is Merlin? If he's a kitten or young cat he's a bundle of energy and wants to explore. Is he using his litter box? If so, thank your lucky stars. :wink: The best advice I can give you is to be patient and give it time. It sounds like he wants to be with you which is a good sign. :thumbsup:

I thought this TCS Article might have some helpful information for you: How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home - TheCatSite

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

yulkasilverfox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Five days is not very long for a cat to adjust to his new environment. You're actually lucky Merlin isn't hiding and won't come out. Cats are individuals just like us and there's no set rule as to the length of time it will take for him to get acquainted with your husband and you, your routine or your house. How old is Merlin? If he's a kitten or young cat he's a bundle of energy and wants to explore. Is he using his litter box? If so, thank your lucky stars. :wink: The best advice I can give you is to be patient and give it time. It sounds like he wants to be with you which is a good sign. :thumbsup:

I thought this TCS Article might have some helpful information for you: How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home - TheCatSite
Oh, there are many things about him that we are both grateful for! He loves people, he started using his litter right away, he doesnt hide from us at all, there is no excessive jumping on the counters and tables. He is a very good boy.

His papers say that he is a 3 y.o. but with his energy levels and the fact that he plays all the time, meows like a kitten and he is small in size makes me question it. He could be around 1 y. of age.

And thank you for the advice ☺ It does take patience and time with our furry friends.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Here's the good news...He wiII aImost certainIy settIe down. Here's the bad news...it wiII take time. It takes about three months for an "uprooted" cat to reaIIy sinks its roots into the new "soiI." And, he may aIways be a bit chatty. Some cats are. My girI is, but it is no Ionger continual. She just wants to spend time having conversations with me. We "taIk" for about 15 or so minutes, then she goes and does cat chores untiI time to check in with me again.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just time! Though we did find having some Feliway in our room helpful and putting a bird feeder outside. Birds come at that time and it keeps them occupied.

We turn our feliway off in the bedroom during the day and turn one on downstairs instead as we noted our cats follow the Feliway.

yulkasilverfox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
*-+
Here's the good news...He wiII aImost certainIy settIe down. Here's the bad news...it wiII take time. It takes about three months for an "uprooted" cat to reaIIy sinks its roots into the new "soiI." And, he may aIways be a bit chatty. Some cats are. My girI is, but it is no Ionger continual. She just wants to spend time having conversations with me. We "taIk" for about 15 or so minutes, then she goes and does cat chores untiI time to check in with me again.
Oh wow, 3 months! I've been watching him these days and realized that maybe it's not a chatty trait, all the hyperactivity and meowing is a part of sinking into the new soil as you've said. He doesn't feel entirely calm and confident about his new environment yet.

yulkasilverfox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just time! Though we did find having some Feliway in our room helpful and putting a bird feeder outside. Birds come at that time and it keeps them occupied.

We turn our feliway off in the bedroom during the day and turn one on downstairs instead as we noted our cats follow the Feliway.
We have 2 of them but I'm not too certain they work, or if they work, his behavior is a lot better than it could have been haha

yulkasilverfox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's been a little crazy these past days. He plays nonstop day and night, jumps all over us, runs around the house like a maniac, and meows at everything. Lost his toy? You can hear him screaming for it. Someone in the kitchen? Lost his hooman? Calls for attention immediately 😂 I'm channeling patience here 24\7.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How old is he? That might have a lot to do with it. Under a year? Under two years? Cats remain "kittens" psychologically until around age two, although their physical growth slows WAY down after a year (this can be up to three years in some of the BIG breeds, like Maine Coons).

yulkasilverfox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How old is he? That might have a lot to do with it. Under a year? Under two years? Cats remain "kittens" psychologically until around age two, although their physical growth slows WAY down after a year (this can be up to three years in some of the BIG breeds, like Maine Coons).
On his adoption page and his health check paper it says 3 years old. It's a bit questionable. Older cats are less active than he is right now. And he has ear tufts but definitely is not a Maine Coon, more like a TINY Coon haha
0-02-01-a715d51beb9e149007d18a0f7ef71e03d044eea5b3167209d7d326e54f3cb700_37c89ee80f2c7f15.jpg

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can try button training or clicker training him. That might be fun!

I do find that button training has lowered, but not stopped the screaming in my home. Last night it was a symphony of all three 🤣 One wants food, one wants a walk (harness and leash) and the last wants brushed and only one of me!

yulkasilverfox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can try button training or clicker training him. That might be fun!

I do find that button training has lowered, but not stopped the screaming in my home. Last night it was a symphony of all three 🤣 One wants food, one wants a walk (harness and leash) and the last wants brushed and only one of me!
I’ve heard about this type of training! Merlin is like a cat dog, he is friendly to learning when he isn’t running around like a crazy horse!

Oh my!! 😱 How do you do it!! They show us that it’s them who live with us, not the other way around. Serve us hooomans!

Question! I’m very curious. Your cat walks on a leash. Was this baby friendly to it from the start, or was it something that’s been taught?
We have a huge backyard but right after the fence there is a railroad and a park area, so we can’t let Merlin out even on our deck area. And I sort of feel that he’d be interested in hanging out outside especially if we are there

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I’ve heard about this type of training! Merlin is like a cat dog, he is friendly to learning when he isn’t running around like a crazy horse!

Oh my!! 😱 How do you do it!! They show us that it’s them who live with us, not the other way around. Serve us hooomans!

Question! I’m very curious. Your cat walks on a leash. Was this baby friendly to it from the start, or was it something that’s been taught?
We have a huge backyard but right after the fence there is a railroad and a park area, so we can’t let Merlin out even on our deck area. And I sort of feel that he’d be interested in hanging out outside especially if we are there
Usually when they get like this, I try to take the one with the simplest need over to the buttons and show them how to ask "nicely". I also accept buurs, trills and them showing me with their body as "nicely" asking.

Magnus was found at a cat colony of TNRed cats alongside his brother when they were only a few months old. It's believed he was dumped as none of the cats at the colony had the ability to have babies. Even at his foster home, he was determined to go outside. After a few months with us, we got him a vest from RC pets that is slip resistant and let him in our backyard. It is fenced but he could escape so he still needs a vest and leash.

He wants to go out so badly that as soon as we opened the door, he was fine with the vest. He quickly associated the vest with getting to go out and learned to move better in it.

I found with each cat that once they wanted out and learned that the harness meant they could go they're suddenly fine with the harness and can move fine. Calcifer didn't want to go outside until this year. He lived all his life inside and was more nervous. Magnus is the only cat who gets let out of the backyard on his leash as he's the only one with good recall. He climbs me when he sees a dog.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And do let us know how things are going! And remember that even the best plans sometimes need adjustments. That's perfectly normal...in fact, with cats, it may be a rule!