constant meowing?

mandypine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone! Hope you're all well... I adopted a new little kitten a few weeks after another kitten (Howie) of mine passed away of kidney cancer. I have a 5 year old male tabby and the impact of Howie's death made him act very strange and I felt really bad. Honestly, part of me also wanted another kitten because I had accepted Howie's death in regards that there was nothing that I could have done or changed because he was going to die anyways of this condition--but I did the best I could and loved him greatly. I still miss him but I'm happy knowing I at least had him in my life.

So I adopted a new kitten, a female this time (I think she's calico? I'll post a pic, she's got amazing markings). Since having her she has not stopped meowing or crying rather. She's calmed down a lot about it but from memory my older cat, Moscow (The 5 year old male tabby) used to be the same way and he grew out of it by 7/8 months and I'm curious if you lot think or might know if she will as well? She will be getting fixed within a few weeks as she just turned 5 months and I know girls can go into heat early--but she isn't acting in that behavior yet... she just is very constant in meowing. It's not hunger meows its more of that, "kitten crying out for mom" kind of meow even though she'll be snuggled up on me. She does seem to have a hard time finding a comfortable spot, she'll move around at least 50 times before laying down (usually she'll lay down in the first spot she started with).

but, it could also be because she's just recently grown out of the 'sucking' stage (she will still try to bite me when she's kneading on me). Apparently she was still nursing at 4 1/2 months so a part of me thinks she still mentally in that "baby kitten " stage if that makes sense.

I just wasn't sure if there were any methods or things I can try that will help calm her from crying all the time--or if it's just something I'll have to wait for her to grow out of (because I'm sure she will--at least I hope, being woken up at 3AM with a crying kitten in your ear isn't fun)

She is very loving and very sweet (and often) can get on my nerves with the constant meowing but I know it's not her fault. I just wanted to try something to help coax her from doing it all the time.

Here she is, her name is Penny...
(she's apparently a calico.. but she just looks like a mix between a gray tabby and orange tabby...so I've been thinking she has two temperaments mixed! lol)

Very sweet she is and I just want a way of helping her not cry all the time. So anything (suggestions and advice) are welcomed! Thanks!!!

Last edited:

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there again!  
  I have not forgotten about you since the passing of Howie, and wondered how you were doing. 

Penny is beautiful! How long have you had her? Has she had a vet check-up? Admittedly, I am not an expert at kitten behavior. It could be that she's so vocal because he is not yet spayed. Or it could be that she is still adjusting to her new surroundings. I asked about the vet check-up so that a medical issue could be ruled out.

I'm sure others will be along soon to offer their input.

It's so great to hear from you!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mandypine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes....it's been a while! I've still come around here to check up on reading but just didn't have much to post--well until now, anyhow! I still miss my Howie but I've realized I did all the best I could and I gave him the best damn life a kitten could have!! So I cherish that...I still miss him...but it'll be okay.

I've been okay and decided to get Moss another friend... he really enjoys her company because she keeps him busy and curious haha...so he's been a lot better, not all sad or mopey--he was acting very, very strange when Howie died...but now he's back to being how he used to be which makes me a lot happier.

I will have to ask when I take her in to get a check up and set an appointment for her fixing!! She's the first female cat I've had in a very long time, so I kind of just blame it on that...the last female cat I had was very sweet and kind and she was vocal as well...

but thanks for your kind words!!! I hope you're doing well!!

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear Moss is returning to his old self! I'm sure he was depressed, but with Penny around, he's happy to have a friend.