Constant grooming

catsintaiwan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We love our two cats, they've grown close to each other. She is the more shy one around strangers but loves to play with us and meow-talk to us. He enjoys when other people are here, is overall very friendly, and is a fantastic jumper. Both are about 16-17 months old now. She is very solid but less fat than before, just strong. She used to mainly eat dry food whenever she wanted, but since we have been restricting that and giving chicken and fish with a little dry food mixed in, plus more exercise, she has lost excess weight and is racing around again. He only eats the boild chicken muscle and fish that we cut up finely, doesn't like dry food. He's skinnier and I wish he gained more weight.

However, he has a problem in that he's constantly licking or grooming. It started about two months ago when he seemed to have fleas so we tried a course of flea powder. It didn't work. Now, he licks, scratches or bites everywhere on his body. I am starting to be more concerned that it may be something other than fleas that has infected him. Or that his diet is too restrictive and by causing a deficiency is leading to his exaggerated behaviour.

It's Chinese NY so the vet is closed, but I will head along next weekend. It would be great if you could please help us with tips or ideas on what might be going on, first. Many thanks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsintaiwan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bump, hope someone can help

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Sorry you are having problems with your kitties

I don't recommend flea powder or shop brought flea products. They are a waste of money because they are not strong enough to work properly. You need to get the prescription flea products from your vet.

But i think you really need to take your cat to see a vet to find out exactly what is going on.

I am VERY VERY concerned about your cats diet. Boiled chicken and fish only ! This is extremely lacking in all the vitamins he needs. The biggest one being Taurine which is essential for a cats diet .

A taurine defficancy can lead to blindness and heart failure. So this is a major concern for your kitty

You mention dry cat food but what about wet cat food ? Pouches ? Tins ? Will they not eat this ?

catsintaiwan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your reply. I've been very busy so haven't thoroughly researched the correct diet. He doesn't like to eat dry food (but she does, so she has enough every day), but he has a little most days. Predominantly boiled chicken and fish, though.

However, yesterday we bought some new tins (I'd tried about 20 from the local cat shop, all  that he didn't really like). He ate both varieties, so I'm going to buy those again asap and give him mostly tinned food every day, plus one serving chicken and fish, and dry food.

He's very fussy and it's been difficult to find suitable food. When I grew up in NZ we had two cats, and we'd give them a combination of things, but the large tin cat food was the staple. However, over here in TW I couldn't find any large tins, only these small ones. Large cans were only for dogs. Really frustrating. Until yesterday, I found a large can from Australia-and he ate it.

Last edited:

catsintaiwan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here's what we are doing:

For every meal we are adding canned cat food and a vitamin (incl. taurine) mix to the chicken flesh, plus a small number of kibble nuts. We've stopped the fish (I'm wondering if the boy has an allergy to fish to cause itchy skin), but leave a snack of small dry fish out for them to chew on. I'm going to add chicken liver to one meal (3 meals a day), and an egg to another. So that's much more variety. And I'll buy some chicken with a bone to leave out for them to play on if they wish, periodically.

All chicken is from the market, killed that morning (or the day before, we keep it two days), and we'll only cook the outside by dropping it in boiling water for 1-2 seconds to kill bacteria, then cut it into small pieces.

The canned food isn't anything special right now, but I've already ordered Nature's Logic Canned Food - Chicken, and Rabbit. Seems to be one of the best available from my internet research.

So, their diet will be much improved, but it's a bit more work. Worth it, hope they gobble it all up.

Would small bits of bacon be ok, mixed in with the meals?

What if I buy some chicken with a bone to leave out for them to play on if they wish, periodically?