Constant diarrhea/gas/runny eyes

breamarie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

My cousin, who is my roommate, adopted Scarlett in March. They estimate that she's about 2- she'd been found at a golf course, and had clearly been someone's pet previously, because she's declawed.
From the first day she picked her up, Scarlett's had constant diarrhea- sometimes completely liquid-y. She had accidents constantly because she just can't hold it.
Much to my anger, instead of trying ANYTHING to help her- change her food, take her to the vet, etc.- my cousin decided to just get rid of her
(it's especially awful because Scarlett is absolutely the friendliest, gentlest cat I've ever met. She wants nothing more than to be held.) I begged her to let me keep her and care for her, and she finally relented and agreed recently.

I read about cats not handling grains well, so I switched her to grain-free "Taste of the Wild" food (about 2 months ago or so, I think). They said I should see results after about 2 months, but it doesn't seem to have helped at all, really.
She also has more gas than I've ever known a cat to have. (which makes me think she's not tolerating something in her food). She also has constant runny eyes.

I'm not sure how much she weighs(I'd guess about 5-6 lbs, if that)- she's definitely quite skinny but has gained some weight since she was adopted. She eats and drinks a lot. (she's a short-haired black and white cat...not sure if that matters.)

I'm going to take her to the vet (there's a low-cost vet associated with the place my cousin adopted her; they've been giving me the run around but I'm going to either go up there in person later this week for an appt., or find another vet).
I would like to have something to go on with the vet though, some idea of what could be wrong- do you have any ideas? I'm also considering going to the holistic vet that my mom takes her pets to if the low-cost vet doesn't work out or isn't available. It's pricier and probably beyond my budget (which is why I didn't adopt a cat in the first place
) but my mom is willing to cover the cost if need be.

Thanks for any insight!

-Brea

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you give her milk or milk products such as cheese? If so that could be the cause because most cats are lactose intolerant and can't digest the sugar in milk and it ferments and causes stomach pains, bloating, gas, diarrhea.

Have you taken her to the vet? If not you should. If she has diarrhea as badly as you say she does, chances are she's dehydrated too because she's losing lots of fluids.

Better take her to get her checked out. It might be a case of worms too, which the vet will diagnose and treat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

breamarie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your reply- no, she doesn't get anything but the food that I give her. I figured that she wasn't tolerating her food well enough to try treats or anything.

I'll definitely take her to the vet ASAP. My fiance's mom mentioned worms also; I've never seen any in her litter box, but it's a possibility I suppose.

mokuzz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know diarrhea and gas are symptoms of worm and so is loosing weight. My kitten is pretty much going through the same thing until yesterday, I finally took him to the vet. Also, u said you found him at a golf course so that is very likely the cause. Please let us know whats going on with your cat.

- Yes, also if the cat's not eating, that's another symptom. (I just saw you posted after I made my post)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

breamarie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoKuzz

I know diarrhea and gas are symptoms of worm and so is loosing weight. My kitten is pretty much going through the same thing until yesterday, I finally took him to the vet. Also, u said you found him at a golf course so that is very likely the cause. Please let us know whats going on with your cat.

- Yes, also if the cat's not eating, that's another symptom. (I just saw you posted after I made my post)
Okay, hopefully it is worms then, I suppose it would be easy to fix.

But Scarlett is definitely eating well- I just don't give her treats because of her issues. She's actually quite a pig, lol. And someone else found her at a golf course and brought her to the rescue, where we adopted her. The guy said there's lots of cats there, but he brought her in because she's so friendly and is declawed.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Stray cats are often prone to coccidia & giardia. I'd get her to the vet ASAP - as chronic dehydration can do a number on a kitties body. When you make an appt for her - ask them if they can test a fecal sample then & how they want you to obtain one.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, thanks for taking in a needy cat with such messy problems (been in your shoes) it takes a special person to take a cat who is trailing liquid poo all over everything! You are an angel in my book, and the cats too I bet.

Yeah, Whitecatlover is spot on. Sounds just like Coccidia & Garidia, but it could be anything else. She may have worms also, but I've never heard of worms cause that bad of a problem.

Bella Had Coccidia & Garidia, same symptoms you have listed: unable to hold poo, liquid poo, gas, ect. She got 2 medications: Flagyl and Albon-both were liquid meds.

get well vibes for your kitty!

twokatz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Definitely check for all the parasites etc. mentioned but if she is negative on all of them check for Tritrichomonas Foetus also. It is a newer parasite and is usually found in shelters or catteries. It also causes the symptoms you describe. You should ask the vet when you go but don't be surprised if the vet is not familiar with it or has little knowledge. I have had to do the research and educate my vet! You need special handling and testing to detect it. Research Jody Gookin NCSU she is the leading authority and has good info on her website. Good luck and bless you for giving kitty a chance.