Constant coughing

Blahblahblah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I'm just looking for help or reassurance. In January my 8 year old cat was breathing rapidly, took her to ER and she was diagnosed with asthma, xray showed possible thickening of bronchial tube. She was put on 5mg Prednisolone twice daily, for three weeks, and 44 mcg Flovent every twelve hours that she is currently still on. She was doing fine until the beginning of this month when she started coughing daily, one coughing episode per day. Before the asthma diagnosis she has never coughed this much. Took her in almost two weeks ago and they took xrays, said the lungs images still looks consistant with asthma diagnosis. They also noticed that her heart could possibly be on the high end of normal/slightly enlarged but said without a murmur present, they aren't too worried. I set up a consultation with a cardiologist the first weekend in April. They perscribed 1ml Doxycycline every 12 hours for 14 days. We are on day 13 and I will be honest and this one is much harder to give her and I know she is not getting the full dose. She is still coughing though. She is otherwise healthy, appetite is good (she is on a diet), drinking water fine, activity levels normal, just the cough. Clinical signs: the coughing last from 10 to 20 seconds, looks like an asthma cough. After the coughing episode she goes on with her daily business, doesn't seem to be short of breath. Her breathing rate is normal, I count 2 to 3 times daily.

I'm kind of at the end of my rope, I worry about damage to her lungs. I called the vet on Friday and they said there's nothing they can do until we get the cardiologist consultation, which they only gave me because I requested it. Could this still be asthma or something else?

I have changed litter to a low dust, purfume free brand. I vacuum twice a week, clean carpets once a month. Wash bedding once a week and have a dust cover on my bed. I have an air purifier running 24 hours a day. Are there any other changes I can make? I will do anything for her.

Has anybody experienced issues like this? I can't imagine that asthma is so easily treated that this has never happened before. We have vets appointments the beginning of April but the waiting is killing me. I worry so much about her health.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Either a humidifier, or a dehumidifier depending on how humid your house is?

she started coughing daily, one coughing episode per day.
Is the episode occurring at the same time every day? If so, is there anything that's causing it? I've read that birds weren't supposed to be allowed anywhere near the kitchen but with the new nonstick material being used in frypans, I don't know if that's still an issue, or could be for your cat...something like that?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have no experience with this, but wondered since you don't think she is getting her full dose of Doxycycline each time if that is allowing any kind of infection she may be having to continue to propagate. You might call the vet and ask if that could be part of the problem and see if they think it would be prudent to extend her prescription.

To ensure she gets her full dose of this med, maybe you can try one of the following 'tricks'?
1.) 'juice' from canned tuna and chicken, and then give him a piece of the meat as a treat afterward
2.) baby food meats (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut)
3.) lickable treats, such as Applaws, Wholehearted, Tiki Cat Stix, Inaba Churu, Vitakraft - just to name a few
4.) Tiki Cat Mousse (which is complete meal, not a treat)
All of these have worked well with Feeby when has had to take meds.

tinytangerine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey B Blahblahblah - sorry to hear about your kitty.

One thing that stood out to me was the 44 mcg of Flovent (I assume via Aerokat)? This is a really low dose - our guy is maintained on 125 mcg Flovent 2x/day and some cats need 250 mcg 2x/daily to stay happy, especially in shoulder seasons (pollen). Flovent takes a couple wks to build up in the system so we tapered off pred over time while introducing the flovent.

If I was you, I would ask my vet about increasing the Flovent dose to see if that helps your kitty. Repeated asthama attacks indicates that the underlying inflammation is not being addressed which can cause scar tissue and other issues over time. Have hope though! Sounds like you are doing a lot of things right and there are still avenues for you to look down :).

You may find more flovent-specific answers at this feline inahled meds group: [email protected] | Topics

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Blahblahblah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for the responses. I have tried multiple times to get a higher prescription for Flovent. I know other cats get higher doses, but the vets, I've worked with 3 so far, flat out tell me no. That it's not working so she must have something else. I was literally told by the vet when she was diagnosed that during spring we might have to increase it if the pollen is bothering her, but when I suggested it they said no way. I'm almost to a point that I will start taking my cat elsewhere. Its fine they want to figure out exactly what's going on but it's at a snails pace and I feel risking my cats health. We are a week and a half away from the cardiologist so I hope that clears up the possible heart enlargement (which they did not seem to think was an issue and we are visiting out of caution) and we can move on to try to find real answers. The last ER visit I was told that sometimes a diagnosis is impossible to get and this might be her life now, like she just might always have a cough. Sorry for the rant, I'm just frustrated and trying to see if others have had this issue so I can try it.

tinytangerine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey B Blahblahblah - that sounds really stressful :(. Honestly - I would consider going to another vet if you don't feel like you are being heard or respected. Are the three you spoke to all at the same clinic?

Did the pred stop the coughing while she was on it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Blahblahblah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey B Blahblahblah - that sounds really stressful :(. Honestly - I would consider going to another vet if you don't feel like you are being heard or respected. Are the three you spoke to all at the same clinic?

Did the pred stop the coughing while she was on it?
She wasn't coughing before the prednisolone except every couple of months. She went into the ER for rapid breathing, which it did stop. She only started frequently coughing the beginning of this month.
I am thinking about switching vets, I just moved her to this one because they are one of the best vets in the area and 10 minutes from our house. Less stress for both of us because she hates car rides. The three I've seen are all in the same clinic.