Consequences of too much bathing

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yikes! Over the weekend I met this fellow who admits bathing his 3 cats every Saturday. Is this too much? He uses human shampoo to boot. How can I tell him nicely that it's not a very good idea. Or am I mistaken and should mind my own business?

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not too much if it is a show cat. Other then that, I wouldn't chance bathing a cat that much. Especially using human shampoo is not a good idea. Maybe suggest to him to at least use a shampoo that is made for cats and do a final rinse with a couple gallons of water that has 2 tbs of vinegar in it. The vinegar will help to restore the ph balance of the skin. Really, if one doesn't have a long haired show cat, they shouldn't have to bathe their longhaired cats more then once a month, if that.

lovelydoll3479

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
good grief he must be brave! I hate bathing my molly cos she looks like a drowned rat afterwards!
had to do it the other day cos god only knows what she had rolled it but
eww it was grim!

nano

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I have lowered my expectations of others and just shrug my shoulders now.
As long as they are not deliberately abusive and are providing food--water--shelter, I've decided to stop trying to set anyone straight about how they treat their pets. There's just not enough time in the day and at some point I have my own life to lead.

save_adopt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
some people need to clean their cats, my grandparents have to wash their 2 cats twice a week because of severe alergies, the cats seem to enjoy it though, but yea tell him to check out kitty shampoos, and dry the cat well after hes does

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Paul Mitchell cat shampoo is good stuff. I would definitely recommend a good, high quality cat shampoo with oatmeal. I have to bathe my girls every few months or so because of my allergies.

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a shampoo I bought from my vet that is suppose to help with allergies. I also bath mine 1-2 times a month due to allergies.