Connection - Cat Vomitting/use Of Scotts Turf Builder Grass Seed?

catmom1977

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Jacques has been vomiting up this weird thick mucusy substance every few days and now my others cats have vomited bile or food. I was trying to make the connection and it came to me that dad "surprised" me by helping my lawns with Scotts Turf Builder Grass Seed a couple of weeks ago. It seems like too much of a coincidence but I'm not finding much info. on this online. Thoughts? The grass they are exposed to is in a small yard attached to the house. Jacques is the only cat allowed out in the big yard which was also treated which may be why he is sicker.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lawn seed contains fertilizer so it's possible that your indoor / outdoor cat got into some seed. Fertilizer residue may have been tracked into the home and exposed to the other cats. I looked up one of the Scotts Turf Builder products and that one also contains a fungicide. Not sure if all the products do or not. I recommend taking all the cats to the vet for an exam and treatment, today if possible. If the vet hospital is closed, call and listen to the after hours voicemail message for who to call for emergencies. Or just take your cats to the nearest vet ER if you know where that is. Fertilizer and fungicides are pretty toxic to cats and kids.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catmom1977

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I found out it was:
Pennington
50 lb. Annual Ryegrass Grass Seed

Last edited:

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Most "cat grass" is composed partly of rye grass (along with wheat and some other varieties), so I wouldn't think it would be that, unless it was treated with pesticides or something. I would bring him indoors and see if the vomiting subsides, though.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks. I found out it was:
Pennington
50 lb. Annual Ryegrass Grass Seed

Do you still have the bag? If you do, look at the back of the bag where all the instructions and info are and see if any fertilizers and other chemicals have been added and any safety warnings. I can't find that info on Google, just the front of the bag which doesn't have any info. If it's just the seed, it's probably ok. Did you treat the lawn with fertilizer or anything after spreading the seed?