Congested Sounds After Bottle Feeding

tbentzur

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
have been bottle feeding an abandoned newborn now that is 4 weeks as of Friday. Growing and thriving, but about 80% of the time this happens. I have tried different nipples to no avail. I am thinking maybe he also is eating too much too fast. But he can eat 5cc and do it, or eat 15 and not do it.

He's eating mashed kitten food with water so he's getting water right now. Wet kitten food still has some bigger chunks than he's able to handle and he almost choked on one so I went back to grinding up dry kitten food and mixing with water (2tsp food/4tsp water).

It scares me to death every time he does it. I pat his back, rub his chect and throat and make sure he's up and moving until it stops so he doesn't lay down and sleep while he's still doing it.

Was wondering how much water he needs separate from the water mixed with the food because he's not old enough yet or able to drink water from a bowl. But I really want to get him off the bottle as soon as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
At four weeks he only needs kitten formula. KMR by PetAg is best. Or full-fat goat’s milk. Feed as much as he will take every 3-4 hours on formula.

The dry food is not a good diet for him at this tender age. He will eat it himself when he weans from the bottle, but even then he will need wet cat food first.

Cats get most of their water from wet food, and he won’t need extra water on formula.

Also, you can try offering Gerber turkey meat baby food to lick from your finger. Or you can syringe it slowly into his mouth. It is very easy to swallow and digest.

I would stop with grinding the dry food and water mixture for now. He’s not ready. When he’s ready, you’ll soak the tiny pieces of kitten kibble in water to soften it for him to eat from a dish.

He will wean more easily from the bottle at 5-6 weeks old. Do you weigh him?

Thanks for caring for him! :)

T tbentzur

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you bottle feed him, is he on his stomach with his head tilted up? Or are you feeding him like you would a human baby?

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was at Pet Smart today. Happened to be in the dog section, looking for flea combs. And lo and behold, they had refrigerated goat milk! But I've been successful with KMR. Buy the powdered form and mix it yourself.