Confusing signals: Fighting or What?

shiftkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We took in a stray about a month ago. He was about 6-8 mos. old, wounded and hungry. How could we say no? After the vet gave him a clean bill of health, patching up his wound and snipping his little boy-cat parts, we took him home, naming him "Scout".

Scout is no stranger to Merlin and Itty-Bitty, my two well-established 2-year-olds. When days are sunny, we'd put them out on tethers (well-measured so they can't hang themselves on anything and right in front of a picture window in case there's trouble). Both are fixed, but I know how territorial cats can be. When Scout first started coming around, he was both food- and attention-starved. If we were out of reach of the tethers, he would come up and readily accept petting, but he'd get all wriggly if we tried to pick him up.

Merlin kept Scout at a distance. He'd growl a bit, but wouldn't charge. He'd walk quickly and a little aggressively, but no hackles were raised, no tails were poofed, and no ears were flattened. Maybe there'd be a hiss, but not always. Scout would simply sit just out of reach of the tether and the two would stare at each other.

When Scout showed up with a hideous wound to his front leg, we had no choice. We felt we had a moral obligation to take care of this little guy, so we picked him up, took our scratches (which weren't many) and our bites (which were very light despite the size of his fangs!), and took him inside for the night. He'd be off to the vet in the morning. Merlin and Itty-Bitty naturally went on a Class 5 Freak-Out. With Scout yowling to get back outside, they didn't attack; they scampered for the garage door, their usual refuge when they think they've done something wrong.

We got through the first night and when Scout came home to stay, we expected the usual hissiness. As Scout recovered, he found out that people make toys just for kitties (and gosh, aren' those ping-pong balls fun!) and he now acts like any happy, somewhat hyper kitten would. He's discovered that laps are soft and warm, a steady food supply is a wonderful thing, and fishies are neat, but not to be swatted at, and people are pretty cool. He even wants to play with the other two cats, but they don't want to play back... or do they?

Itty-Bitty will flop around, stretching on the floor, and look at him with the tip of her tail whipping around. If he gets close, however, she hisses and goes for the back of my easy chair. He acts like he enjoys getting a reaction out of her and will find someplace to sit and stare at her until she hisses and tries to find someplace else.

Merlin, however, has gotten a bit more active about things. Where he first just hissed and tried to ignore Scout, he has now taken to what looks like playing but sounds like fighting. He swats Scout, chases him, trees him on the kitty tree (but doesn't pursue him up it), and yes, Scout chases him right back. Again, no fur is bristling, no ears are flattened, and Merlin's tail is often upright, but there is plenty of growling and hissing. This morning, as I was writing this, I heard a thump in the living room and went in to find Merlin keeping Scout cornered in the kitty-hut. His eyes looked somewhat scowly, but the rest of him had the poise of a cat who was waiting for someone to throw that superball just one more time.

Scout acts like it's all a big game. When he's treed, he reaches down to swat at Merlin. He'll run up to Merlin and tag him before running the other way. He's clearly not afraid of this tabby, who is about 1 1/2 time his size, nor is he afraid of the chubby little bombay with the bright green eyes.

Nobody's bleeding, and Merlin and Itty-Bitty are still buds (though he sometimes gets in a foul mood and hisses at her), and I can even get all three to sleep on my lap, but the only mutual grooming that goes on is between Merlin and Itty-Bitty. They still seem to regard Scout as some pesky kid who won't go away.

So is it a fight, an adjustment period, or do they see Scout as a kid brother who they just don't want to let in? They don't eat together, but they never have. Scout can sit within inches of them without eliciting so much as a hiss when he's waiting his turn at the water dish. Sometimes, they even walk right by, their fur brushing against his, without even acting like they see him. Argh! Can someone give me some insights into this behavior? I'm sure it will settle down in due time, but meanwhile, what should I expect?

Thanks in advance.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like play to me!

No cat would do a flop, exposing tummy, if she felt threatened by another cat, so that was a posture of trust and acceptance.

Many cats hiss and swear during play, especially cats who have had to live by their wits.

If there is no blood shed or injuries I would not interfere.

You might keep nails trimmed, to prevent any inadvertent injuries.

I do worry about your cats being tethered though. I know you said you watch out for them when they are out there, but I would always recommend against tethering a cat, ever.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shiftkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, you've really put me at ease.

As far as tethering my cats, I won't let them run loose through the neighborhood, but I don't want to keep them from enjoying the outdoors When we finally get into a place we own (we rent right now), my husband wants to build a cat run out to a screened in playground so we don't have to put them on leashes. Usually only Merlin wants to go out. The lead is secured to a support post near the "porch" (a cement slab about 3 inches off the ground). I then took the lead out to its furthest extent and wrapped it around everything I could, trying to think like a cat. When we found it could go up and over the water faucet, we shortened the lead. He's gotten used to the idea of only being allowed to go so far, and knows to knock when he wants back in. He usually just lays in the sunlight (our house is positioned terribly). Other times he sits in the ferns and just watches the cars go by. Itty-Bitty sometimes wants to go out, and she trots out to the lawn, munches on some grass, and then naps in the ferns. A lot of times, I'll go out there with a book and try to read while they "recharge their solar cells". Scout would love to go back outside, but we've only got the two leads, and besides, he still has some scarring on his leg. We don't want it getting infected!

merrytreecats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And the whole 'recharging their solar cells' is more literal than you think. Giving them real outside time lets them absorb sunshine which is how they get vitamin D. This is very important as indoor only cats can suffer from a D deficiency.

We have an enclosure for our kitties and they love it in the good weather. It attaches to a window so they can go in and out of the house into the enclosure whenever we keep the window open.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shiftkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's what I'd like. Something where I can just open the window, or have some kind of pet door so they can go in and out as they please. When I was growing up we hade quite a few cats, and they were all outdoor cats. We didn't lose very many to cars, dogs, or what have you, but things just seem so much worse for them these days. Add to that a trend (around here at least) of dog owners teaching their dogs to go after cats (as if they need encouragement!), and it's just terrible.

Kind of funny story, though. When my husband took Scout to the vet to have his arm fixed and for neutering, the poor cat was scared stiff. There he was in a cat carrier, taken for a ride in a rumbly car, and then into a vet's office. That was all bad enough, but then a guy with a pitbull comes in. The dog was just being curious at the yowly thing in the carrier. Scout was panicked! Facing a dog with nowhere to run! So my husband asks the guy to keep his dog away from Scout, explaining that the cat is terrified enough as it is. The guy moved his dog away, but the managed to find a way to saunter back over. Sure enough, the dog goes back to sniffing at the carrier. This time my husband gets a little more stern, telling him to keep his dog away from our cat. The guy moves away again, staring at the TV in the lobby. Sure enough, he lets the leash go slack, and here comes the dog again. This time, Scout made his displeasure known in no uncertain terms. As the dog stuck his nose into the case, and before my husband could push the dog away, a black blur, tipped with long, gleaming claws, swiped out in a wide arc. The dog's nose became a blob of blood! The guy started yelling about how we were going to have to pay for vet bill over this. Fortunately, the vet was witness to this guy apparently thinking it was funny to see our cat having fits. The dog was innocent. He was just being a dog. But the vet told the guy to shut up. He was going to pay for the whole bill or she'd report him for animal cruelty for putting his dog in such a dangerous position even after receiving warnings.

8 months old and one pitbull down! Not a bad record!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are harness trained and wear a long lead attached, but I take them out supervised only and never ever tether them. A cat's first defense is flight, and could be hurt very badly if they either could not get away from something, or tried to get away and got hung up.

So they go out in their yard but only when I am there to supervise. The door is left open, so they can dash inside if they get spooked. I putter in my gardens or read, sitting in my lawn chair, while they have their hour in the yard.