Confused overwhelmed

lv9265

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I havent had a cat in a very long time. So when I adopted my now 5 month old kitten I wanted to do only the best for him. As I began my research I was overwhelmed by all of the differing opinions on feeding. From my research I am attempting to do what I gather is a reasonably decent diet. He is given a half of a small can of Pride, by Natural Instincts, or Weruva mixed with approximately 5 pieces of frozen raw Stella and Chewys twice a day. I use the duck, rabbit and chicken selections in rotation. In addition, he gets approximately a quarter to a half of a cup of Wellness Core, kitten dry food spinkled with Wysong freeze dried raw, if I need to be away. If I can I replace the dry feeding with another small can feeding. He gets Tiki Cat fish canned food twice a week. I also give him Merrick Cowboy Cookout, or Thanksgiving Dinner as a special meal. He weighs 5.5 pounds and is very active. He is and will remain an indoor cat. Does this diet sound ok, is it enough? Should I try to go completely raw? My vet said feed dry, I know that's absurd.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
 He is given a half of a small can of Pride, by Natural Instincts, or Weruva mixed with approximately 5 pieces of frozen raw Stella and Chewys twice a day. I use the duck, rabbit and chicken selections in rotation. In addition, he gets approximately a quarter to a half of a cup of Wellness Core, kitten dry food spinkled with Wysong freeze dried raw, if I need to be away. If I can I replace the dry feeding with another small can feeding. He gets Tiki Cat fish canned food twice a week. I also give him Merrick Cowboy Cookout, or Thanksgiving Dinner as a special meal. He weighs 5.5 pounds and is very active. He is and will remain an indoor cat. Does this diet sound ok, is it enough? Should I try to go completely raw? My vet said feed dry, I know that's absurd.
Half a 3oz can with a few pieces of frozen raw twice a day plus some dry to snack on doesn't seem like enough food for a still growing 5 month old kitten,  IMO. A 5.5 pound growing kitten needs at least 110 to 140 calories daily. But if your kitten is ok with the food amounts and isn't screaming for more, then you should be ok. You can check out the calorie content of most canned foods here: http://catinfo.org/docs/FoodChartPublic9-22-12.pdf The chart is a few years old so Pride by Instinct isn't on it. Here's another one: http://www.petobesityprevention.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Cat_Canned_Pouch_Foods.pdf

Overall, the diet sounds fine. I suggest ditching the Wellness dry for snacks and just give the freeze dried raw instead but that's just me

A raw diet is great if you choose to go that route. Raw diets aren't for everyone so be sure to read up on raw diets and how to make sure your cat is getting a complete balanced diet. Commercial raw pet foods such as Stella and Chewy's and Rad Cat are popular and are balanced diets. Making your own from scratch or a recipe and be trickier to balance out the nutrients. It's not as simple as throwing raw meat into a bowl. There's a Raw forum here on TCS if you want to explore raw diets and the various ways of how to feed your cat a raw diet.